A2K time zones: What's the time where you are & what are you up to?

Reyn

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 09:07 pm
8:05pm, Wed., June 16th:

Just about to shut off the computer for the night and watch a bit of TV, not that there's been much on lately. It seems everything's into repeats and the new stuff is rather blah.

For the last couple of months, we've been borrowing DVDs from our local library and viewing them. Generally, this has worked out well, with some good titles available.

Anyways, until tomorrow all!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 09:23 pm
It was a sultry day in Cville. More like what we might get in late July rather then in mid-June. The FedX driver was already soaked with sweat at 10 am.
One of my employees was outside the front of my store. He noticed an elderly man at the bus stop who ever so slowly sat down on the sidewalk and slumped over.
We are across the street from the UVA hospital so there are always employees in the area who can react. He was brought inside and the Rescue Squad came. I think that they decided to take him home.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 03:52 am
7:52 pm, 17th June, Melbourne:

Almost time for dinner A big bowl of soup, rescued from my freezer - cooked not so long ago. I do know for certain it has fennel in it, so it can't be too bad, can it?

I have spent a rather sobering day today ... catching up & making sense of personal credit & debit things. The picture is not comforting. A bit of belt tightening will be required. Oh well ... I'm used to that!

Apart from this, & the fact that it's been freezing, it's been a pretty good day! Can't complain. Smile
aidan

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 04:12 am
@msolga,
6:04 am in East Brunswick, New Jersey, USA

Everyone in the house is still asleep - I'm the only one up - it's been five days and my body has slowly accustomed itself to this time zone to the point that I've progressed from waking up at 3:49 the first morning to making it to 6:00 am this morning.

I'm going to take a walk now, because this will be my only chance today and it's cool right now - it'll be 90 degrees later today. Looks like it'll be another sunny day in the neighborhood, so yeah, I'll take my walk now and get all sweaty and come back and jump in the pool before I do my laundry and pack for Texas tomorrow. Then it'll be my first time in thirteen years at a Hearn family reunion in Palestine (Texas- not the middle east) tomorrow and Saturday and then three days of visiting my birthplace of San Antonio, somewhere I've not been for thirteen years.

I'll be daydreaming about Mexican food by the river, biscuits and gravy and cantaloupe for breakfast, and all the iced tea I can drink on my walk.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 12:12 pm
@msolga,
11:12 am, Jun 17th, British Columbia:

It's funny, as I read your post below, the Visa bill just arrived in the mail. Laughing

As you may have remembered from previous posts, I did "retire" from my long-term job back in 2006 (at 55), but have since worked a couple of jobs since then, to make some extra money.

The word retirement is a bit of a joke these days, unless one has oodles of money socked away. As I previously posted as well, I am (and have been) looking for work again since April last year. I'm hoping something suitable will come up, one of these days.

May I ask, Olga, what is your situation? Are you still working?

msolga wrote:
... I have spent a rather sobering day today ... catching up & making sense of personal credit & debit things. The picture is not comforting. A bit of belt tightening will be required. Oh well ... I'm used to that! ...

0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 12:24 pm
It's 1:17 in the really BIG state of Texas, of which Austin isn't really a part.

We didn't get to a movie yesterday, so will go today and see The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Then I won't have to read the book.

Reyne: Hope your situation changes. I don't think people need to retire anymore, do you? I never should have, wouldn't advise anybody to retire unless they are ill.
msolga

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 04:19 pm
8:18 am, Friday June 18th, Melbourne au:

Hello. Good morning, everyone.

In a wee bit of a rush this morning. An early appointment to go to. After that, I'll be a Free Woman for the day. Many possibilities crowding into my head as I sit here at my computer.

Reyn, I teach casually these days. I resigned (very different to retired! Smile ) a few years back when full-time teaching became ... rather an impossibility! I.e. I was turning into sort of zombie after years of it, with no time for anything but work, recovery, work, recovery ... I have spent most of the time since at one school (which I really like). I'm starting to feel rather like part of the furniture there, too. Wink I love the flexibility, but sometimes the $$$ situation leaves a bit to be desired! Still, preferable to the alternative. Impoverished, but (sort of) sane.
Don't look at that Visa bill till later. When you're more up to it. Razz And good luck with your job hunt!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 04:36 pm
@Pemerson,
3:36 pm, June 17th:

Pemerson wrote:
Reyne: Hope your situation changes. I don't think people need to retire anymore, do you? I never should have, wouldn't advise anybody to retire unless they are ill.

Hi! Well, as I mentioned, I retired at 55, because I was able to get full pension at the company I worked for. I wouldn't have done it otherwise. But, the pension is "okay", but you need to be careful with it.

Unfortunately, I retired with my last job (same company basically for 32 years) being as an electric and gas meter reader. Those skill sets hasn't really helped in my current job searches. There's not much call for it outside of an utility company.

I did also do work, for the same company, as an inventory clerk, and for a short time, as a phone rep.

Basically, most of the jobs that I've been applying on are no skill, or nearly no skill needed. So, it's a bit tough.

msolga wrote:
Reyn, I teach casually these days. ...

Thanks for telling me a bit about yourself. Interesting background!

Are teaching jobs hard to come by where you live? Right now, some teachers are being laid off here - very short-sighted, in my opinion, as many will be retiring (maybe) in the next 5-10 years.

I think in this economy, completely retiring is not so much of an option anymore. I wish more employers would see the value in hiring older workers though. My experience has indicated that this is not so true.

By the way, I love the variety of topics that you come up with. They're always popular with me.

I often struggle to come up with stuff. It doesn't come easy for me.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 09:31 pm
8:30 pm, June 18th:

Was looking for this thread and I finally found it back on the 10th page! Wow, there's a lot more activity than there was a while ago.

Talk to you guys tomorrow.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 10:12 am
High noon in Virginia. It is going to be really hot today. We need rain. A thunderstorm came through last night. I see small puddles at my shop, but we got nothing at my house.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 11:39 am
A little past 1:30 in the afternoon. I just got home from a hike, drenched. It's 91 degrees F with 52% humidity (heat index is 96). Not horrible for a summer day as long as you're not trying to do too much. The hike was a little rough.

I just ate a little left over Indian food (good for this weather). I am awaiting the first person to come interview to live here next lease cycle.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 03:23 pm
7:25 am. Monday 21st June, Melbourne:

Good morning, all!

I'm running very late. No time to stop.

How did I sleep through half an hour of alarm call rings? Confused

Hello & goodbye.
littlek

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 03:28 pm
@msolga,
Apparently the same way I do! (sleeping through the alarm)

msolga

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 03:36 pm
@littlek,
Agh!

Bye!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 03:38 pm
@msolga,
2:36 pm, June 20th:

Wow, I have never slept through an alarm yet! Laughing I guess I'm so in tune with the clock.

I've only ever slept in with I didn't set the alarm to start with, or there was a power outage during the night.

I got wonderful cards from my daughters for Father's Day. Real gems!

The weather continues to be generally cool and cloudy here, but drier. I'm sure warmer temperatures will be just around the corner.
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:30 pm
4:30 here in gorgeous Estes Park, Colorado ... 75 degrees.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:55 pm
@Reyn,
Ha! I am notorious for sleeping through alarms. When I was working outside of the house every day I had to have four alarm clocks. One a half hour earlier than needed just to get me to the semi-conscious level, another to wake me up again about five minutes before I needed to awaken and a third and fourth one for when I was about five minutes late in getting up. The third one was a wind-up clanging clock that I sometimes just listened to until it used up itself and shut off, while the fourth one was an annoying high pitched beep across the room and the only way I could shut it off was to get up out of bed to do so.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:57 pm
Wow, I thought my needing two alarm clocks was bad!
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 07:53 pm
21:51 Eastern
Taking off my screaming yellow Brazil national jersey and heading for the
shower. Hope all the Dads had a great Father's Day. I sure did.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 09:17 pm
11:16 PM, EDT

Noticed for several days that people are hoarse in the throat. Woke Friday morning with a sore throat. Very headachy.
0 Replies