A2K time zones: What's the time where you are & what are you up to?

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 04:30 pm
@Pemerson,
Well, it's either 96 F or 91.8 F depending what weather channel you look at, @ 4:24 pm in Abq; the 91.8 is probably specific to our zip code. I just got back from the store, where, yes, I bought cockroach spray, plus groceries.

There are forecasts for two thunder episodes overnight.

Cockroaches: I left my first apartment, a tack-on to a duplex house, because of them - something about it being unfinished under the sink area, a good move because the next apartment was unforgettably good, large, over a spanish house, $105. a month as long as I lived there because they liked me and I paid the rent on time. Never saw another one until a trip to Guatemala (or Mexico?), and there only once, but that was one giant cockroach. Forty years later, they seem to be in the drain system in this neighborhood, and I have a poor connect at my now defunct garbage disposal, which is probably where they come from. I've managed to stay them off for about eighteen months with my concoction of flour, cocoa, and 20 mule team borax, culled from the web.

A couple of weeks ago I saw one and missed catching it. Set another dish of roach concoction out.. (I don't have pets). So maybe that first one is gone, but I didn't find the body. We know, I think, if there is one roach, there are thousands about to advance for the charge. Now I've seen two more in the kitchen, looking for water, and again I missed stamping them (or maybe the same one twice) out. Apparently I pounce less fast than in the past. The difference over the years is that now they unsettle me deeply. My sense of well being plummets.

I remember talking to Lola of a2k about this, and she said something like that's nothing, you should see ours in Texas. More like the big one I saw once before. Now that would bother me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 04:33 pm
@Eva,
Wow! Well, good then, Eva, and keep us informed!
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 04:36 pm
@ossobuco,
18:35 EST: Started to eat dinner of beans and rice and side of fat free cottage cheese. Am also watching season 2, episode 8 of Dexter.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 04:59 pm
3:55 pm in sunny, breezy California
It was quite toasty in the office today. There is no A/C on over the
weekend (and it was hot) and this morning the A/C croaked, leaving us in
sauna-like conditions. The hotter it got in the office the more tempered we
all got. I am glad to be back to the cool coast.

Eva, all the best to you and let us know how things worked out for you!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 07:40 pm
A cool, windy, and, for me, mostly sleepy Monday after a great weekend with two sons here from the East Coast. Late breakfast extended with multiple coffees and conversation, then took them both to the airport for the flights back to their respective homes. Then back for a nap. I'll resume work & workouts tomorrow.
dyslexia

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 07:48 pm
@georgeob1,
well george, I sincerely hope you and your sons had a pleasant interlude.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 08:20 pm
@dyslexia,
Thank you, Dys. It was very pleasant indeed. We don't get many chances to be all together, and it was wonderful. My daughters live in the bay area (one close by) so we had a family dinner Wednesday night before leaving for the grove the following morning.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 09:05 pm
It's 10 p.m. and I'm at work, finishing my first day after a week of well deserved hoilidays.

The place I went to, Los Cabos, has a different time-zone, so while I was there, everything seemed so early!!
But I wasn't going to post: "It's noon here and I'm going to Love Beach; when I go back to town, I'll gobble some lobsters and shrimp" or "It's 2:00 p.m and the boat just left me and my family in secluded Pelicanos Beach; we are going snorkeling" or "It's 5:00 p.m. and I just came from water skiing/water boarding... It's not the same as 35 years ago I tell ya... I'm exhausted and all I could hardly managed to do was to rise a few seconds above the water". was I? Twisted Evil
aidan

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 10:09 pm
It's 5:06 am and I think it looks as if it's going to be overcast today- although the birds are singing (that's what woke me up).

I'm going to try to go back to sleep for an hour, because I have a long (but good I think) day ahead - it's badminton at lunchtime day (hurray)!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 01:10 am
5:10 pm. Tuesday 8th June, Melbourne:

Cold & grey here.
Work felt like an uphill battle today. Two more weeks of this school term left (after this week). Teachers are tired, cranky & wilting. The problem is that adolescents aren't remotely tired. We are at cross purposes. Which led to a few problems today, I can tell you!

So it's good to be home. Right now all I want is curl up & be warm, with a good book. Possibly accompanied by my cat, if she's feeling obliging. And to have huge vats of soup, or other varieties of comfort foods, constantly bubbling away on the stove top, filling the house will wonderful aromas. This would probably keep me happy for weeks!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 01:20 am
09:20 The missus still ill. seems, she has to stay some more hours in the dark room. - Excellent service and staff here in the hotel, very helpful and very obliging. - Watching the cruise ships (and their crew/passengers) in front of the hotel from the hotel's roof terrace (could do it from the room as well, but due to ...).
msolga

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 01:26 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I'm sorry to hear she's still unwell Walter. I hope she feels much better soon.
farmerman

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 03:58 am
@msolga,
6AM, June 8, South Central Pa (USA) EDT

Just got up. The very warm eather has broken and now its actually more like early April. Temp outside is in the low 50's (F) and its beautiful sleeping weather. Today Its one meeting but other than that, its mostly goof-off time. I cut some dying oak trees in the woods last spring, and Ive got a huge pile of logs for the fireplce. MAybe Ill go rent a splitter and start to split the logs and stack em to dry for the winter.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 07:50 am
@fbaezer,
Thanks for not posting that . . .
<mumble, mumble>
roger

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 09:18 am
@George,
I'm waiting to see how he recovered from the water boarding.
fbaezer

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 09:49 am
@roger,
(10:47 a.m. Mexico central time, home, logging in, still wearing my bathrobe)

Thanks for your concern, guys. The inner thigh still hurts a wee bit. Mr. Green
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 02:22 pm
@fbaezer,
Cabo is beautiful, yet a true party town for Americans. I was disappointed in
that, but the beaches were a consolation.

1:20 pm in paradise
Just got back from visiting our (adopted) grandma who is 83 years old and quite demented by now, but refuses to leave her home. I went to the groceries for her and made sure she ate something and hopefully she'll keep eating and drinking in the days to come.

Now it will be nap time for me Cool
fbaezer

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 05:15 pm
@CalamityJane,
Oh yes, way too many Americans. And lots and lots of them had (usually too big) tatoos. I think George has loads of work translating Latin for tatoos the coming years.

6:15 p.m
At work, procastinating.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 05:35 pm
@fbaezer,
I've never been to Cabo. Was in La Paz when it was a village, but also a destination I didn't know when I made the reservation for guys carrying big coolers on the plane ('79). I admit liking Vallarta, but that was in '67-73. I'd probably hate it now. There was one signal in the town, that one probably put up after all the Liz/Richard stuff, plus maybe 6 hotels of substance. I stayed in a bunch of them as I was there several times, and also a place with cottages by the rio quale for $2.00 a night.
The town has greatly expanded since I've been there.

All right, it's 5:29 p.m. here in Abq. Strasburg is probably pitching by now. (For those not following baseball, he's the latest potential superstar pitching his first major league game in the US.) It's 95.4 degrees F. I'm doing laundry and thinking of making a sandwich. 80 degrees in the house.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 05:40 pm
7:39 PM, EDT

Taught today. 3 and 1/2 hour classes in the summer. Stopped to buy a 99 cent burger at Wendy's to have the energy for the 70 mile drive home. REsting and catching up with my emails.
0 Replies