A NYPD helicopter just spend 20+ minutes circling above my block.

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 06:01 pm
A NYPD helicopter just spend 20+ minutes circling above my block.

I'll keep this thread up to date if I read anything about this unexplained incident.

Came outside to get a better view of the helicopter and 2 plain clothes detectives (?) just came out of a house (2 houses down from mine), the house where the helicopter seemed to be circling.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32864333@N03/sets/72157624103697498/show/

This anticlimactic nonevent gathered a good sized crowd of spectators for a side street.

msolga

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 06:43 pm
@tsarstepan,
Hmmmmm ... what could they be looking for, tsar?

Who could they be watching?

Can't wait to find out! Smile
ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 06:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oh, honey, you never lived in venice.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 06:53 pm
@msolga,
My flatmate came back 30 minutes ago and I told him about the helicopter. He left to 10 minutes to go to the gym before the police helicopter arrived. He did note seeing a lot of police around the area and that an unmarked police car was still outside when he returned.

He's a criminal lawyer and he thinks they're looking for someone.
msolga

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 06:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:

And he's probably right!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 07:25 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Doesn't sound like you care much for your flat mate.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 07:29 pm
@roger,
That's another thread but of all my flat mates, he's the one I'm least ambiguous about.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 07:43 pm
I was just outside in the back yard and there was an entire family of desert geckos running in circles around the clematis vine. they did that for about 10 minutes then I went inside. they might still be there, I don't know. I'm having a cup of tea now and it's starting to get dark.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 07:45 pm
@dyslexia,
were they suspicious looking geckos?
dyslexia

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 07:53 pm
@Rockhead,
well, they were basically hiding in the rocks and just sticking their tongues out and then running to another rock to hide behind, typical gecko behavior, very suspicious. I wasn't carrying a gun at the time.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 07:59 pm
I lived in Venice for 25 years. You don't want to know how many helicopters I ever heard.
roger

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 08:04 pm
@dyslexia,
If they were carrying sticks, they were stick lizards. Usually found in hotter climates, though.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 08:05 pm
@roger,
is there a way to tell if they were american born lizards?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 08:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Counterterrorism/military helicopters?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 08:19 pm
@tsarstepan,
No, ordinary surveilance (sp). Routine friday nights.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 10:32 pm
Your police helicopter hovering overhead story reminds me of something that actually happened in my life, tsar. My own Police Helicopter Story! Wink

About 15 years ago, I guess. My then partner (let's call him X) & I were returning (by car) from a shopping expedition early one afternoon .. only to experience the almost deafening noise from a police helicopter overhead, becoming louder, louder & louder! When X opened the boot of the car to remove the big box of green groceries from it, our eardrums nearly exploded! The helicopter actually zoomed down closer & closer, so it was sort of hovering over the car! Shocked What did they expect to see? A huge container of marijuana plant cuttings? Bomb makings? (Admittedly X (at that time) did have a rather not-exactly-a-pillar-of-conservative-society-appearance Wink ) but this was really scary & unnerving! What the hell were they looking for? Confused

Anyway, I am looking forward to hearing the outcome of your neighbourhood police helicopter episode!

Roberta

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 10:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
Relax, booby. This is Noo Yawk. Could be anything. Could be nothing. I hear helicopters all the time. NBD. Maybe a criminal. Maybe a cat trapped in a sewer. Maybe a terrorist. Quien sabe?

I took out the garbage two weeks ago just in time to see the police leaving an apartment down the hall. The next day there was one of those do not break this seal thingies on the door. Maybe the guy was murdered. The investigation is ongoing.

The news in the building? A bit of a flurry. But this is Noo Yawk. A two-bedroom, rent-stabilized apartment will soon be available. Do I sound a bit jaded?

I lived in the South Bronx, kiddo. Gang wars across the street. Every member of my family attacked except for my mother. Etc. Takes more than a helicopter to get me worked up--except on 9/11. Not jaded then.
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 10:45 pm
THIS IS THE NYPD, STEPAN. WE HAVE YOU SURROUNDED. THROW ALL YOUR GUNS OUT ON THE STOOP AND COME OUT NOW WITH YOUR HANDS ON TOP OF YOUR HEAD. MOVE VERY, VERY SLOWLY
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 10:48 pm
@Roberta,
Now, that's New York! A two bedroom, rent-stabilized ranks above the gang wars.
Roberta

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 11:18 pm
@roger,
You bet your ass, Roger. That kind of apartment could be considered motive. Except that the landlord here will not let it remain rent-stabilized. The apartment will be renovated and destabilized--what the market will bear.

Gang war, shmang war. Haven't seen one of those in years.

Tsar, I didn't mean to diminish or demean your excitement. I hope nothing terrible happened.

0 Replies