A NYPD helicopter just spend 20+ minutes circling above my block.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 12:16 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
well, they were basically hiding in the rocks and just sticking their tongues out
and then running to another rock to hide behind, typical gecko behavior, very suspicious.

I wasn't carrying a gun at the time.
Is thay Y thay DID it?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 12:18 am
@tsarstepan,
U think thay suspect a monarchist plot
to overthrow Mayor Bloomberg ?

David
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:35 am
So tsar, Did you ever find out what happened?
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 04:26 am
@msolga,
I'm glad your event turned out to be a nonevent. Expecting this one to be an unexplained nonevent as well. Will check the freebie newspapers today and next week to see if the police will try to explain this neighborhood rarity.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 04:30 am
@Roberta,
I haven't found out anything quite yet.
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 06:15 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
I haven't found out anything quite yet.

"And that" as Walter Cronkite used to say, "is the way it is." in New York City.

When I first moved here I would see something going on down a block, -four fire engines, two ambulances, too many to count cop cars with flashing lights. I would look the next day for any mention of the big ta-doo and

=------- = nada, zilch, bupkis == .

Once I saw a guy running out of the 23rd N Station, right near the Madison Park Shake Shack, you know the place, he's carrying a red purse and there's a woman screaming "Help! Thief"

(though why she wanted someone to help the thief, I dunno. Thank you, Groucho)

ANYway, standing right ON the same corner are two cops and they start off running the guy down yelling "Stop, NYPD!!""

The guy is running towards Madison Ave with the cops about fifty feet behind.
Get this: three guys, hearing the commotion, jump off the line at the Shake Shack and dart out the Madison Ave entrance to the park and THEY start chasing the guy.

The last I saw it was a foot race headed East on 23rd Street.

That was also the last news I heard or read about it.

Unbelievable.
Joe(they are going to lose their place in line.)Nation
sozobe

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 06:50 am
Yeah, all of L.A. is swarming with helicopters. Gotta be the first one to report on today's high-speed (or low-speed) chase! Plus police, plus whatever. They were a constant presence both in Pasadena (where I didn't like them but they drove E.G. absolutely batty) and where I worked, in the Valley. And all points in between. Look up, there's a helicopter.

Much more unusual here. A bit ago, I was on Facebook when status updates from friends who live in a certain area nearby (but not really close) started saying things like "the black helicopters are here to get me!" and "police just knocked on the door" and "what's with all the police cars?" Turned out there had been an armed robbery and then chase, and it unfolded in real time on Facebook. Nothing on the news or internet or anywhere else (I looked). Wouldn't have known what happened if not for FB. (Bad guy was apprehended in my friend's back yard!)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 08:33 am
@tsarstepan,
What the h*ll did you do now?
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 02:41 pm
@tsarstepan,
Years ago I used to hear the fire alarms go off every night and the fire trucks later screaming thru the night. This happened almost every night.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:32 pm
This thread made me think about living in the South Bronx and being afraid all the time. I wondered about the long-term effects this might have had on me. Jaded? Not really, but very cautious.

I spoke with my therapist about the jaded part--the dead body down the hall and the apartment.

What did she say? A direct quote:

"Two-bedroom, rent stabilized?"

Dat's Noo Yawk.
roger

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:35 pm
@Roberta,
I love it, but it makes sense. Two bedroom, rent stablized is useful information. Dead body? Too late for CPR, so what are you supposed to do?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 07:02 am
@dyslexia,
Quote:
I was just outside in the back yard and there was an entire family of desert geckos running in circles around the clematis vine. they did that for about 10 minutes then I went inside. they might still be there, I don't know.
Your concern for Caesar Stevanus is heart warming. Has he posted since then or did he leave a forwarding address ?
Quote:
I'm having a cup of tea now and it's starting to get dark.
I dont see how the darkening of your cup of tea is relevant to Tsar's arrest. But your anology with the geckos was very deep.
Ionus

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 07:04 am
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
The last I saw it was a foot race headed East on 23rd Street.
Everyone knows about the New York marathon....where HAVE you been ?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 04:18 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Get this: three guys, hearing the commotion, jump off the line at the Shake Shack and dart out the Madison Ave entrance to the park and THEY start chasing the guy.

Unbelievable.
Joe(they are going to lose their place in line.)Nation

You know how long that line gets for Shake Shack!! THOSE FOOLS!! Nothing is worth losing one's place in line at the Shake Shack!!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 04:25 pm
@Ionus,
His story is a parable for which only the highest level Buddhist monks (days away from reaching Nirvana) can figure out the meaning and relevance.

Am I one of the geckos or am I the clematis vine in his story?
http://i49.tinypic.com/10p0sjq.jpg
Ionus

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 07:32 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
His story is a parable for which only the highest level Buddhist monks (days away from reaching Nirvana) can figure out the meaning and relevance. Am I one of the geckos or am I the clematis vine in his story?
Ahhh...I always get this stuff wrong, but I thought the gheckos were the air around the helicopter, the clematis vine represented humans inhumanity to humans, and you were the darkening cup of tea. For a small fee I can rewrite it so you are one of the geckos ....?
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 08:08 am
@Ionus,
Run with it and publish it as a 900 page existentialist horror/thriller. You'll be crowned the "bastard child/author of best selling authors Stephen King and Dan Brown!" in your reviews.

You'll be as rich as J.K. Rowling!
dyslexia

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 09:50 am
@tsarstepan,
I'm thinking perhaps rewriting the critical essays of Albert Camus by Van Morrison and Shel Silverstein titled "Another rotor-psycho nightmare" or "A gecko ate my baby"
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 09:52 am
@dyslexia,
Publish them tres vite!! I'd buy a copy or two if you autograph them for me! Very Happy
dyslexia

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 09:55 am
@tsarstepan,
a tout de suite
0 Replies