Zell Miller

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 07:07 am
http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110004250

I am wondering if other moderate Democrats like John Breaux and Mary Landrieu and citizen voters who would normally vote the Democratic ticket will share Zell's view?

I ask because, in my opinion, the party faithful on neither side of the ideological spectrum will be persuaded by an analysis such as Miller's in the case of the Democrats, or criticisms of the Bush administration in the case of the Republicans. But, the election will be decided by the center.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 602 • Replies: 4
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 10:00 am
Zell Miller wrote:
This is also a president who understands that tax cuts are not just something that all taxpayers deserve, but also the best way to curb government spending.

This is a curious statement, given that Bush has never made this connection -- at least in public. Furthermore, considering that Bush has increased government spending, it's just too ironic.

There's a word for Democrats like Zell Miller. It's "Republican."
0 Replies

epicurious1

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 11:12 am
Joe: Or perhaps Miller is representative of all too many moderate/centerist Democrats who will vote for Bush because they consider him closer to their political ideology than any of the 9 Democratic candidates currently vying for the nomination.

I still believe it is the politically moderate voters registered in both parties and independents who will decide Election 2004, and I don't see any of the current crop of Democratic candidates appealing to them.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 11:32 am
epicurious1 wrote:
I still believe it is the politically moderate voters registered in both parties and independents who will decide Election 2004, and I don't see any of the current crop of Democratic candidates appealing to them.

The centrists decide general elections: it's the party loyalists who decide primary elections. Candidates typically move to the extremes in the primaries and then move back toward the center during the general election campaign. If the current batch of Democrats don't appeal to the center, it may be because they're not relying on them to carry Iowa and New Hampshire.
0 Replies

epicurious1

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 01:36 pm
Joe: Agreed. It will be interesting to see how the nominee makes that course correction toward the center. That is, if one is selected that is ideolocically capable of doing that.

Dean and Clark would I think, but I doubt any of the others would.

I guess we'll just have to wait for the convention.
0 Replies