How to season your own cast iron skillet, or find one?

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 07:07 pm
I want a skillet.
A really thick one Smile

I am debating on buying one new but I dont really understand how long it will take to season it. OR, how do you do that?

So, I have kept my eye out at goodwills and other thrift stores to see if i can see one used.. but.. how would I know it was 'seasoned'? Will it be greasy? Will it look charred? Will it smell?

Or should I just assume that since it is used, it is seasoned well and will work?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 12 • Views: 4,727 • Replies: 23

View best answer, chosen by shewolfnm
realjohnboy
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 07:14 pm
@shewolfnm,
My 1931 Joy of Cooking says "Grease them well, place them in a hot oven (over 450 degrees) for about 30 minutes. Scour with steel wool."
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 07:18 pm
@shewolfnm,
They're cheap enough that a new one isn't going to break the bank. Around here, they are found in many feed stores. The common brand is Lodge. They will also send you a new preseasoned skillet, but they cost more, and they are heavy enough that shipping will be a consideration.
Irishk

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 07:21 pm
@roger,
I've found seasoned cast iron skillets at Ace Hardware stores and also Target online. Griddles, too.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 07:22 pm
hmm

does what it is seasoned WITH effect its over all taste?
roger

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 07:26 pm
@shewolfnm,
Nah. It's just baked in grease. Once your skillet is seasoned, don't wash it with detergent or soap, or you will have the whole thing to do over again.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 07:28 pm
oh yeah.
I have heard that too.
Hot water and a rag to rub off cooked on things, no soap what so ever.

Im not worried about how much they cost, I just want a good seasoned one.

I will probably just buy a new one then if seasoning it is that easy Smile
I figured it would take a LONG time to get them to that point..
Irishk

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 07:31 pm
And never, ever cook anything tomato-based in cast iron. I learned that the hard way as a new bride LOL.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 07:35 pm
@shewolfnm,
Here's the link to cast iron skillets from Target. If there isn't a store near you, the website offers free shipping on the heavy suckers.

http://www.target.com/s/187-9750729-7290735?_encoding=UTF8&search-alias=tgt-index&keywords=cast%20iron%20skillet&ref=sr_bx_1_1&searchNodeID=1038576|1287991011&searchPage=1
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 07:38 pm
Good choice Shewolf. I really enjoy cast iron and am looking forward to buying a cast iron pot for making beans.

I don't think the advice for breaking in and maintaining a seasoned skillet have been completely accurate. For instance, seasoning a skillet is usually done at a more moderate temperatures over longer periods, IMO.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 07:39 pm
@Irishk,
I didn't know about tomato based stuff.

If your rag won't clean it out, you can scour it with salt, and maybe a scotch brite thing.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 07:41 pm

Irishk

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 07:44 pm
@roger,
It was a disaster...very heavy metallic taste that rendered the dish inedible. My MIL later told me that the acid from the tomatoes caused iron to leech from the pan and caused the off taste. I wasn't skilled at cooking then...it's a wonder we're both still alive LOL
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 07:49 pm
@Butrflynet,
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 07:59 pm
@Irishk,
http://www.articlealley.com/article_989820_26.html

The pros and cons of cast iron cookware
By: skember | Posted: 19th July 2009

The use of cast-iron for cooking goes back over 2500 years albeit in Europe countries such as the UK have only used it for about 1000 years after it became popular when folk realised that complete pots with handles could be made using molten metal poured into moulds made out of sand. Originally cast iron pots came with three legs as they were to be used on the open fire.

The Benefits of using cast iron cookware

1. cast iron cookware offers many exceptional cooking benefits; hence so many cooks swear by it.
2. Cast iron is a near perfect heat conductor, heating evenly and consistently;
3. Cast iron can withstand very high temperatures, which makes it great for searing and frying
4. Cast iron pots allow precise and sustained cooking temperatures;
5. When cooking with cast iron heat is spread evenly throughout the pot; there are no hot spots; this makes iron pots great for slow cooking; and
6. Cured cast iron offers the perfect non-stick surface making it ideal for many dishes where using non stick is a must

Cast iron offers many other more widely based benefits:

1. It lasts and lasts and lasts and makes a great heirloom;
2. Cast iron is relatively inexpensive to buy but when seen in the context of its extraordinary longevity it is incredibly cheap;
3. Cast iron can be used to cook in so many styles hence so many cooks swear by it; for example for use when cooking Jambalaya dishes, stews, soups, cornbread, tortillas and fajitas; and such is its versatility it can be used for frying, searing, baking, deep frying grilling;
4. Cast iron comes in many shapes and sizes and different formats; be they; griddles, grills, woks, Jambalaya Pots , deep fryers, frying pans and cast iron Dutch Oven
5. It can go from stove to oven;
6. It won’t warp, its tough as old boots and is really easy to clean;
7. Health benefits arise for those with a deficiency of iron in their blood. A small amount of iron is leached into the food when cooking providing a rely valuable benefit;
8. Cooking with cast iron cookware is far more fun than with most other cookware; and
9. When well seasoned cast iron cookware works non stick requiring no additional oil whatsoever so its great for healthy cooking.

Disadvantages of cast iron cookware

1. For those with excess iron in their blood the leaching of iron from the cookware can be bad;
2. For those suffering from the inherited metabolic disorder hemochromatosis that affects around one million Americans it should be avoided. Indeed if you have any family with the disease, ask your physician about the transferrin saturation test, which tests for iron excess in the blood;
3. The food sticks! But if it does this simply means that you haven’t seasoned your cast iron properly because cast iron is naturally and totally non stick when correctly seasoned
4. If you suffer from joint or stomach pain, fatigue, heart palpitations or impotence, check with your physician.
5. You can’t put cast iron in the dish washer; but otherwise cleaning it is a breeze
6. It is not recommended that you boil water using cast iron cookware;
7. Its not recommended for glass top stoves as it can scratch the surface when moved around;
8. Cast iron has to be seasoned and if cooking with certain acidic food stuffs such as when cooking using tomato based sauces it’s surface can be affected and need redoing from time to time

Seasoning cast iron cookware

Cast iron must be seasoned to protect the metal from rusting and to provide a non-stick surface. This is a straightforward process which once done shouldn’t need redoing. There are many good articles explaining this process but in summary it comprises of a simple 3 step process:

1. Cleaning the cast iron cookware back to its original surface;
2. Applying a layer of fat all over [typically fats high in saturated fats such as: Crisco, Palm oil, Coconut oil and lard]; then,
3. Heating up the ‘fat covered cookware’ to a high temperature causing the fat to bond to the cast iron.

Thereafter ongoing seasoning occurs as your cooking deposits evermore fat on top of the cured surface, giving it that lovely non stick dark glossy hue that characterizes well-seasoned well-aged cast iron cookware.

If your cast iron cookware develops rust spots, scour the rusty areas with steel wool, until all traces of rust are gone then wash, dry and once again repeat seasoning process.

Cleaning cast iron cookware

A lot of nonsense is talked about cleaning cast iron cookware; but the basics are straightforward:

1. Do not soak them or scrub them with scourers or anything metal;
2. Avoid strong cleaning products;
3. Wash with mild soap and water and dry with a paper towel then
4. Re-apply a thin layer of fat.

Never store food in the cast iron pan as the acid in the food will breakdown the seasoning and take on a metallic flavor

Types of cast iron

There are many brands of plain and enameled cast iron coming from around the world. Our advice at the Outdoor Cooking Equipment Store is go for the traditional black cast iron as the price differential, given the limited additional benefits of enameled cast iron does not warrant paying so much more.

Enameled cast iron also does not offer the benefits of standard cast iron such as the ability to withstand searing heat, the leaching of dietary iron and it never enjoys that beautiful black hue.

What to buy and how to choose

There are many brands from which to choose. We recommend the Bayou Classic brand as the quality is truly exceptional judged against competing brands. When selecting which cast iron cookware to go for consider the following:

1. The cast iron should have a fine, smooth surface making it ideal for seasoning.
2. Do not buy cookware that is pitted, uneven, rough or that has any chips or cracks;
3. High quality cast iron cookware is evenly grey all over and is made in one piece;
4. Do all you can to get hold of grandmother’s old cast iron cookware as long as it doesn’t have a cracks or chips it will continue to last and last

You can get some exceptional deals on the internet. Unfortunately local stores can rarely offer the range of products nor exceptional prices that you’ll find on the internet.
boomerang

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 08:59 pm
@Butrflynet,
Interesting that they didn't list the weight as a disadvantage! I know someday I won't be able to lift mine anymore.

I have two cast iron dutch ovens and two skillets -- all of them were my grandmas and they are as perfect today as they were when she bought them about 100 years ago.

One important thing that I haven't seen mentioned (maybe I didn't read close enough) is to always dry your cast iron on the stove burner after washing it.

Wash it.
Put it on the burner (medium high heat) to get really, really rid of any water.
Put in a teaspoon or so of oil.
Rub it around with a rag.
Heat for a few more minutes.
Put it away until tomorrow.

You'll love a good cast iron pan, shewolf!
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 09:05 pm
@boomerang,
Good points, B-Net. I want one of those cast iron corn bread thingees.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 09:14 pm
One advantage not yet listed: Lodge makes a cast iron pot with a bail identical in all respects to Lyman's lead melting pot for casting bullets. Identical except it's about 1/3 the price, and twice the size.

Probably not of general interest, but true, nonetheless.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 09:27 pm
@boomerang,
I've had my cast iron dutch oven and fry pans of different sizes since the sixties, when I bought them at an army navy store in an old quonset hut... what a selection that guy had.

I've only had to reseason one, once. I have put tomatoes in some things (Marcella Hazan's ragu bolognese) I've cooked in them, but not as the primary ingredient or even one of the main ones... the bolognese, for example, is primarily a thick slow cooked meat sauce.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 09:45 pm
I bought one, years back, preseasoned.
I think, I'm pretty sure, I got it at target.

To clean it, I pour in a liberal amount of kosher salt, add a very small amount of water, to make like a paste, and scrub with paper towels.

Then I rinse, and dry on the stove as boomer said, with a slight coating of oil.