How to season your own cast iron skillet, or find one?

farmerman

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 11:28 am
@chai2,
cast iron makes great targets for teaching someone to use a 22 rifle.
When you hit the target it makes a nice BLANNK !! so you can hear when you hit. Several sizes on the target range and youve got a symphony on a carillon
dyslexia

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 01:04 pm
cast iron RUSTS almost immediately if not dried immediately.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 01:07 pm
@farmerman,
Try to remove most of the lead before using it for cooking, of course. Lead doesn't enhance the flavor of most meats.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 09:36 am
I had the best big old cast skillet ever back in Oklahoma. When we moved here someone (The one who did no cooking) thought it was too heavy to pack.

I used it make Irish Bread and the best damned Sunday Chicken and Dumplings ever.

Cleaning is never a problem. As soon as the meal is served onto plates, rinse out the skillet really well - just hot water and a scrubby will get everything out- I find that using salt allows some of the salt to be retained in the seasoned surface and that can throw out the flavor of the next meal. Throw the wet skillet on the medium heat while you see if everybody's got what they need at the table. (It only takes 30-40 seconds for the the skillet to dry.)

Joe(It's been fifteen years and I miss it still.)Nation
0 Replies