National bartenders school, opinions?

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 03:04 pm
Yeah pretty obvious what my career choice would be..I just want to know if a 2 week course for 500 dollars sounds decent.And has anyone been through the course? Or are there better schools?

I'd appreciate any input. im 90% sure ill attend the course, its a matter of triple checking.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,687 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 03:09 pm
@ghostinthemachine702,
I've known a couple of people who have taken the course, but none of them ever bothered to become bartenders.

But I'm also pretty sure that most bartenders in the world didn't take any course for it. That being said, it's not much of an investment (time/money) compared to other education so it isn't as big of a mistake either way.

If you really want to know if it would help you, go to the bars where you would seek employment and ask them if it would help you gain employment in such establishments.

0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 03:10 pm
I wouldn't bother. with the school.

That's a job you can learn in-house. Start out as a back bar person and work yourself "up."

ghostinthemachine702

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 04:14 pm
@sullyfish6,
i have been told numerous times i should model by the way.

i know nothing of this field.

i am highly suspicious when guys tell me it, 3 so far, but when 2 female photographers in 3 months told me it this year i was sorta like hrmm..

but still, they might want me to pay them for a shoot and they're just trying to bring my hopes up.

maybe im just paranoid.

but thats another thread, i just cant believe i would be that good looking lmao.

but i am rather timid. oh wellios. we'll see. we'll see.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 04:56 pm
Any monkey can pour a beer, but not every monkey has the personality to be a bartender.
Most of the fru-fru drinks they'll teach you in bar-tending school will never be ordered and you will learn more by working than in a school. It's a waste of time and money.
Most of the schools I've seen go out of business too. I wouldn't trust them with the tuition.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 06:09 pm
@ghostinthemachine702,
On the one hand…I made the best money ever in dives serving beer, shots, and the occasional blender drink...back in the day.

Still, I’d do it in a minute if I was considering bartending now and I hoped for a position in a nice spot. These days, in Ontario at least, you’re required to have ‘Smart Serve’ certification anyway, no matter where you work.

Knowing the difference between a rock glass and a highball etc., and when to use each won’t hurt, and some of the nicer places are looking for professional bartenders. The right personality AND knowledge/certification could give you an edge.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 06:19 pm
@Joeblow,
I wonder what type of city you are thinking of tending bar in. San Francisco, for example, has a very sophisticated bar scene, often reported about in the San Francisco Chronicle (http://www.sfgate.com) - and the New York Times has a column or blog called The Pour. Reading those could be helpful if you are talking about bartending in one of those, or similar, areas.

On taking the class, seems like a good idea, given it is not terribly expensive or time consuming.
0 Replies