How do you use your cell phone?

chai2

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 12:18 pm
I am curious (chai)

just reading tsars thread about his going from a prepaid phone that was going kaput, to a monthly plan.

We have a large age range here on A2K, as well as different needs, wants, methods of communication, etc.

I'm interested in specifically what type of features you use, with concrete examples.

Me?
I've got a prepaid phone and use it for one thing...phone calls.
Even then, the usage on it is minimal. It's pretty much for when I'm driving around, out and about, and need to ask my husband something. One or 2 minute calls, tops. Maybe use it 5 to 7 times a month.

I think I can text on my phone, don't have enough curiosity to figure out how to do it.
Why? I don't know what I would say.

Please give me examples of specific texts you send to someone, why, and how often.
What are the reasons you use the phone for calls?
Do you use the video or camera?
Do you download them at home, or just keep on your phone? Do you ever even look at the pics after you take them?

Please tell all!!

aidan

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 12:28 pm
@chai2,
I use my phone to be able (mostly) to be reached by my kids when I'm not home. I'm not allowed to take it into my work, so they use it a lot to text me and leave me messages for when I get out of work such as: 'Stayed late at school - can you pick me up on your way home?' so that I don't have to go home, listen to the messages and go back out again.
They text instead of call because it's cheaper and they don't use up their credit as quickly that way.

I use my phone to call my kids to say, 'Where are you?' if they're late and I'm worried.

The only time I use texting is when they don't answer their phone and then I text something like, 'Please answer your phone, I need to talk to you' or something like, 'I'm a little late - but I'll be there soon.'

I use pay as you go and I probably use less than £10 a month.
My phone doesn't have a camera any other extra feature.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 12:29 pm
@chai2,
I use my cellphone 10 - 20 times a year. To confirm arrivals/departures/pick-up times. Used the camera feature a couple of times just to see if/how it worked.

Generally speaking my thinking is that I don't do emergency surgery. Nobody needs to be in touch with me that urgently. I don't normally have the phone turned on unless there is an arrangement that someone is going to call me (dogs are ready at groomers etc).
sozobe

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 12:40 pm
@chai2,
I use it ALL the time.

Today I have:

- Had an exchange on Facebook (via my Blackberry) that then migrated to email (via BB) re: when to meet a friend for lunch

- Checked FB other times

- Checked A2K (though now I'm on my regular computer)

- Had several SMS exchanges with a friend re: when/ whether we were meeting at the gym (+ general chat, I might watch her kid tomorrow, etc.)

- Checked what time it was several times

- Played Brickbreaker while waiting for someone

- Checked the address of a restaurant when it wasn't where my friend thought it was (via Google)

- Checked the weather

And that's a fairly slow day, communication-wise.

I have an unlimited data plan and use my BB as somewhere between a phone and a laptop. (Though it's rarely used as a phone, though not never because sozlet uses it sometimes and her friends borrow it to call their parents sometimes.)
chai2

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 03:43 pm
soz, I can see where you get a lot more use out of it, as you are Deaf.

The checking on the weather, confirming a where and when for lunch....that makes sense.

It especially makes sense with the kiddo. As with Aidan, the being able to quickly say "I'll be home at 4" or "where are you" is good.

ehbeth, I did use mine to dial 911 once, when I saw an accident occur while driving. That was a good thing.

(I almost forgot....I don't wear a watch, so if I'm not at my computer, or in my car, or in my house, I look at my phone to see what the time is)

Anyone else?

Tell me about a typical txt conversation that occurs...

I see people all the time typing, then reading....typing again. I can't think of what I'd be saying to anyone.
What is it you are saying back and forth (besides the kid thing)?

ok, just rambling here...

Let's say I was single, met some guy, and he had my number so he could text me.
If he was one of those people that kept sending me messages, I would find that quite irritating.
I'm pretty sure I would call him after the first day of that and say "look, why don't you just save up all the stuff you have to say or ask me, and cover it in one phone call, like at the end of the day? Not too late either, because I go to bed early"
If he couldn't get that, I guess I wouldn't want him seeing me anyway.

yeah, save it all up for in-person....like a regular, what do they call it? Oh yeah, a conversation!!

0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 03:51 pm
I have a Verizon Pre Paid phone. I take it everywhere encase my car breaks down and to check my answering machine at home, remotely!
mm25075

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 04:23 pm
@Victor Murphy,
I have a monthly family share plan with Verizon. I get a 20% discount through my employer. I can have up to 4 phones on the plan with each exatra phone costing just $10 a month.

My mom and I share the family plan and rarely if ever get close to the monthly cap of minutes. She uses hers more to keep in touch with out of state family while I use mine mainly to keep in touch with her. Incidentially, I don't use my land line phone for anything but internet service. I don't even answer it when it rings as everyone who might need to get a hold of me has my cell number.

Occasionally, I have used the texting options to create a distraction. Like one time, I was in bar solo and this creepy sort of guy kept trying to kiss me! (ugh he didn't even know me) so I was pretty blatant about taking out my phone and texting someone. "I'll be heading home soon honey" so the guy could see. The guy friend that I texted thought it was hilarious and texted me back. "Love you darling see you soon." (He lives over 3000+ miles away from me) Creepy guy backed off quick. Haha!

I've also used it a couple of times to meet up with work collegues in an airport and talk to my mom while I am traveling for work. (Hotel phone calls can be quite pricey)
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 04:27 pm
@chai2,
I use my cell phone for phone calls only. Once in a while I receive a text message, but that's from people who are unimportant. Most everyone knows that I don't
respond to text messages and don't text myself (would take hours).

I mainly talk to the office, my family, occasionally the school if there is a problem with the kid, and some friends. Since I call internationally quite often,
I use my ground line more often then my cell.
KiwiChic

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 04:47 pm
@CalamityJane,
I have 2 cell phones one is on the Vodaphone network and the other is on Telecom network.....strictly only for text messaging reason being its too costly here to phone people...both phones are on pre paid.
chai2

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 04:49 pm
Wow, I'm surprised, based on all the advertising out there, that all of us basically use the phone when need to make a call (texting for Soz)

mm25...
we got rid of our land line maybe, um, 6 months ago. Haven't missed it for a minute. We were the same as you, never answered it when it rang anyway.

C0me on now, I know a bunch of you text people all the time. What are you saying? What are others replying?
Seriously, since I've never done it, I can't really imagine how the conversations go.

Questions:

Doesn't it take a lot longer to type out a message than to talk to someone?

If you text someone, how do you know they are going to even read your text right away?
I mean, if they aren't answering their phone to talk to you, why would they read and answer your text?

If you get, let's say 1000 minutes a month on your cell phone plane, that's like 4 hours a week.
Some people say they text to save money, but surely you're not talking 4 hours a week on the phone?
Well...obviously yu would if it was a business phone, but on personal stuff?

Anyway, aren't most phone unlimited minutes now?

I should have called this thread cell phone 101.

chai2

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 04:50 pm
@KiwiChic,
KiwiChic wrote:

I have 2 cell phones one is on the Vodaphone network and the other is on Telecom network.....strictly only for text messaging reason being its too costly here to phone people...both phones are on pre paid.

whoops, crossed posted...

so, kiwichic, changing names to protect the innocent, give me some examples of typical text conversations.

why do you have 2 phones?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 04:53 pm
We use Sprint. I only use my phone for calling friends and co workers. I probably average about five calls per week.
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 05:05 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
but surely you're not talking 4 hours a week on the phone?

don't you ever see the kids walking to and from school with the cellphone glued to one ear ?
more like four hours a day , i'd say .
Ceili

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 05:17 pm
I have an iphone. I use it for so many things such as; a telephone, texts to and from the kids (I have an app where you can talk the texts and it transcribes it for me- I'm a messy typer), emails, facebook, a clock (cause I can't wear a watch) and I do use my camera a lot. I have several different types of cameras - for night or zoom features yadda yadda.
I also frequently use the flashlight, maps, calendar, yellow pages, google and the calculator. When I travel I use the translator a ton!
I frequently mix languages and this keeps the locals and I on the same page. Very Happy
I write my self a lot of notes too, so it helps to have all the info in one place.
My favourite app is Shazam - you hold it up to the radio and it tells you the name of the song. My husband and I own a dj company - it helps me keep current. I have CBC and CKUA and WunderRadio, my fav radio channels on it as well. I also have meditation (stop smoking etc) on it the iPod portion. That ain't working so well...
"Bump it" is cool too. I can bump the phone with someone elses phone and transfer info - photos, apps, documents and the like.
I use several others too, but I don't want to bore you.
No games though... can't be bothered.
I never thought I'd be this dependent on the damn thing, but I'm hooked.
KiwiChic

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 05:20 pm
@chai2,
....everyone texts here, even my 69 year old mother texts...the reason I have 2 is that it costs more to text my friends from my Telecom to their Vodaphone phone and vice versa, also helps greatly when a network goes down at least I have the other phone to compensate. What do we talk about??? LOL everything. Predictive texting helps, it takes about 3 seconds to do a text and just as quick for replies.
chai2

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 05:34 pm
@hamburgboy,
hamburgboy wrote:

Quote:
but surely you're not talking 4 hours a week on the phone?

don't you ever see the kids walking to and from school with the cellphone glued to one ear ?
more like four hours a day , i'd say .

Well, no one that has answered here as of now is a kid.

If they'd like to share, they are welcome.

what do you use your cell phone for hamburger?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 05:39 pm
@KiwiChic,
KiwiChic wrote:

....everyone texts here, even my 69 year old mother texts...the reason I have 2 is that it costs more to text my friends from my Telecom to their Vodaphone phone and vice versa, also helps greatly when a network goes down at least I have the other phone to compensate. What do we talk about??? LOL everything. Predictive texting helps, it takes about 3 seconds to do a text and just as quick for replies.

What is predictive texting?

You talk about "everything"? meaning.....?

give me an example of a typical back and forth.
How many texts back and forth equals a conversation?
Do you feel you miss some nuance by not hearing their voice?

Like here, you can type out what feels like a very accurate statement, where your meaning and emotion is clear, and someone takes it the wrong way. How much easier would it be when typing a few words.

How many words is the typical text?
Do it ever feel it alienates you from face to face conversation?
OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 05:44 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I use it ALL the time.

Today I have:

- Had an exchange on Facebook (via my Blackberry) that then migrated to email (via BB) re: when to meet a friend for lunch

- Checked FB other times

- Checked A2K (though now I'm on my regular computer)

- Had several SMS exchanges with a friend re: when/ whether we were meeting at the gym (+ general chat, I might watch her kid tomorrow, etc.)

- Checked what time it was several times

- Played Brickbreaker while waiting for someone

- Checked the address of a restaurant when it wasn't where my friend thought it was (via Google)

- Checked the weather

And that's a fairly slow day, communication-wise.

I have an unlimited data plan and use my BB as somewhere between a phone and a laptop. (Though it's rarely used as a phone, though not never because sozlet uses it sometimes and her friends borrow it to call their parents sometimes.)
Similar use, except I do use it as a phone quite frequently. I also use the VZ Navigator as if it were google, because the GPS directions are superior (it knows about traffic jams, and routes you around them.)
Morning, it is my alarm clock (Rob Zombie’s More Human than Human… Hit the snooze before the screaming begins!) Hit the weather button to see if I'm taking car or bike. Will usually have text and/or email to review (though it can usually wait.) It is also my preferred MP3 player, because it auto mutes when the phone rings and I like my music loud. Lately I've been using the Pandora Mobile Radio Ap (the Eminem Station). It also doubles as a thumb drive with mass-storage if I want to take a digital file home to work on it (still haven't figured out how to build a secure "webtop" to store company files, but I'm quite sure that's the way of the future.) It also doubles as my calendar and contact database, both business and personal; auto-syncing with IGoogle. Occasionally use the Camera, both still and video... Only downloading the worthwhile stuff, usually by way of MMS or Gmail but sometimes Facebook. It is essentially an extension of my brain.

I don't have a landline at home and I'm contemplating replacing the business phone with a wireless hub so there isn't so much redundant messaging. Then we'd just need to figure out how to transfer calls (and voice-mails) to appropriate parties, to greatly reduce the amount of paper in the physical inboxes. Will probably be moving to an electronic fax server as well. It just isn't convenient to have information sent to stationary devices, when you have the option to operate on the fly... and print where you are, at your leisure.

I could certainly get by without all the new technology, but I can’t imagine why I'd want to. Time is a foolish thing to waste on tedious tasks.
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 05:47 pm
@CalamityJane,
I dont like sending text messages either, but when I do I do it by email!

http://i39.tinypic.com/140zo76.jpg
chai2

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 05:48 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

I have an iphone. I use it for so many things such as; a telephone, texts to and from the kids (I have an app where you can talk the texts and it transcribes it for me- I'm a messy typer), emails, facebook, a clock (cause I can't wear a watch) and I do use my camera a lot. I have several different types of cameras - for night or zoom features yadda yadda.
I also frequently use the flashlight, maps, calendar, yellow pages, google and the calculator. When I travel I use the translator a ton!
I frequently mix languages and this keeps the locals and I on the same page. Very Happy
I write my self a lot of notes too, so it helps to have all the info in one place.

Good answer, thanks.

As far as pictures, are they for work, or pleasure. Do you feel it's the same as if you carried a camera around? Did you used to carry a camera around? When you use the camera, do you save the pictures permanently, or mostly just until you show someone what you wanted them to see?

A while back I had bought a flip video camera for a specific purpose. After I used it for that purpose. I thought "this would be cool to carry around in my handbag to video something interesting that might happen. I did that exactly once.
Then at some point I put it in a drawer. I pulled it out just the other day when my husband said, "it would be cute to take a picture of this" I pulled out my camera, battery was dead, pulled out the flip video, the battery was dead. I put them both back in the drawer because I couldn't be bothered to go find a battery, figure out how to open the things, etc. I forgot I did that until just now. Right now I'm thinking "I should go put a battery in both of them"
I'm sure I won't.

flashlight, maps, calendar, yellow pages and google.
That's good too.

I take it you're not in an office a lot Ceili?