Debate on Cell Phone Charges

Mame

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 05:05 pm
I'd like to know what people pay for basic cell phone charges, long distance, and roaming and data, whatever else... with and without a contract...

how cheap is it? how expensive is it? if you go to Canada or Mexico, what would a call or text cost you? If you went to Europe, what would it cost?

I'm interested in charges from the US, Europe, and elsewhere.

I know it's a broad question, but I'm having a discussion on FB about his and would like some facts.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 16 • Views: 3,575 • Replies: 16
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 06:36 pm
@Mame,
Not much help since I use TracPhone, I guess, but with a phone option that doubles the time I buy, it works out to .12 per minute. Local, long distance, roaming all the same. I've never used it outside the US.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 06:48 pm
@Mame,
The last time I checked on all this was about 6 months ago and at that time the range I found was between $90/month to $120/month for fairly comprehensive packages (unlimited voice and texting, but with some limits on Data although the data limit was high enough that anything except full-blown movie streaming doesn't even come close to hitting the limit).

I'm with Verizon and I find their coverage (here in my area) to be good to very good with a few areas getting LTE data speeds, which are impressive. I pay somewhere around $100/month and I never even come close to hitting my maximums. Hope that helps. Before this I was using Sprint and although their packages cost a bit less, I found their coverage much less reliable.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 07:46 am
@Mame,
There has been EU legislation to stop excessive charges going from one EU country to another. I'm sorry but I don't know how this affects non EU phones.
0 Replies

clenmenttohn

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2013 01:33 am
@rosborne979,
How to live and keep safety is always an important and hot issue and now as the internet develops with high speed, the wifi signal is one of them but it can really bring some potential danger. So how to solve the problem the wifi signal blocker can be the best choice.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2013 04:16 pm
@Mame,
We have three iPhones, the primary phone cost 120.00 a month and 49.99 for each additional phone, which we have two. That's with unlimited calls, internet and text messages.

Over the last few years, I've bashed both Apple and Android-based phones for a variety of valid reasons. I have come to love my Samsung Galaxy S3 and I don't think I want to go to a phone with a smaller screen, so that rules out an iPhone 5S (not that I can upgrade until next year anyway). However, there is 1 lingering criticism of Apple phones (and tablets) that remains valid and important: The lack of a microSD slot to expand the storage. With contract, a 16GB iPhone 5S is $200 and it costs $100 more for 32GB and another $100 for 64GB. A high-speed 32GB microSD card costs about $20-$25. Apple, explain this ****?

0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2013 04:52 pm
@Mame,
"Straight Talk" (Walmart), month-to-month, no contract, unlimited voice, text, and data (limited to 2 gigs/mo, I've heard, although I've never approached that limit), for $45/month. Can use AT&T or T-Mobile -- I'm currently using AT&T's network. Coverage is good. No issues with Straight Talk, although I've never had occasion to call customer service, which I understand is not first rate.

I ported my cell phone number to Google Voice, then forwarded that number to my unlocked LG L9 Android phone, running on the Straight Talk service, with the AT&T sim card. Works for me, and I can take my Google Voice phone number to some other service at any time if I get a wild hair. I love not being tied down to a contract. And $45/month for unlimited service is unbeatable.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2013 05:01 pm
I pay $45/month for my cheap no-contract Virgin android phone. It works fine for me.

When I travel, I just don't pay for the time I am gone (and renew the monthly payments when I get back). This saves me money.

On my last trip I was out of the country for a couple of weeks. I spent about $30 for a cheap throw-away phone while I was there. That gave me 500 minutes of voice talk, including calls to the US.

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2013 05:03 pm
T-Mobile in the US just reduced all their rates and added free text and data overseas (but not at 4G). I pay $100/month for four lines, unlimited texting and 500MB of 4G data per phone. If you exceed that it drops to 2G speed.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 01:34 am
Fascinating.

<In my best Mr. Spock voice>
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 01:43 am
I wonder what this drivel would read if it were rendered in English.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 08:23 am
LeonilaWry wrote:
Bodies do not get time to booty a blow for a while.

Sage words to live by.

I'm considering a change to my A2K signature ...
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 08:31 am
@roger,
$.12 or $.o12? per minute?
chai2

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 08:40 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I'm sure he meant .12.

I don't think anyone offers rates of an odd amount slightly over 1 cent (1.2 cents per minute)

I use platinum tel, where I bought my phone and buy cards where the cost is 5 cents per minute for calls, 2 cents per text.

The web is 10 cents per MB, but I've never used that. I don't use the camera either. I don't need selfies, I know what I look like.

I just call and occassionally text.

I've been very happy. What's not to like?

It tells me the time, and I have an icon up to tell me the temperature, I get my voice mail, calls and texts. That's all I need. I top it up with a $10 or $20 PIN as needed.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 08:53 pm
JeroldHogen wrote:

The activity of the animal beings has become acutely active everywhere on this earth. Bodies do not get time to booty a blow for a while.

Personally, I find it quite rude to suggest that some bodies don't get time to booty a blow. Speak for yourself.
chai2

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 10:35 pm
@roger,
You wouldn't believe how much my blow gets bootied.
roger

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 11:28 pm
@chai2,
I think you got it backwards, but makes about as much sense.
0 Replies