Picking The Wrong President?

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 10:16 am
From today's New York Times, the after-effects on real American families of the most unjustified invasion in modern history:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/02/national/02CASU.html?th

Truly devastating for those involved and, potentially, for the many not yet among the victims.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 730 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Diane

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 10:32 am
John, the most recent news this morning was devastating--a humvee was shot down. I think many of us are feeling like these are our sons, daughters or spouses--that sick feeling of useless death and loss. In a way, they are our sons and husbands and wives. They are our countrymen and women and our neighbors.

What I don't understand is why there aren't more protests? There are political threads about the war ad nauseum, but what is actually being done? Is everyone too busy campaigning to pay attention the the immediate problem of young people dying?

I realize that there aren't any answers, but I will never understand why this country isn't in more of an uproar about this unjustified attack.

BTW, Your signature might be one of the answers.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 11:46 am
Quote:
John, the most recent news this morning was devastating--a humvee was shot down

Humvee: Four wheels, neanderthal ancestor to the current Yuppie toy the Hummer.
Chinook Helicopter: Three wheels, whirly thing on top, flies, goes "thukka, thukka, thukka..."
Wink
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 11:55 am
Ms Diane (the nun gone bad) says Embarrassed
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 11:59 am
I read articles such as the one posted with a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. What makes it even worse is that the loss of American lives resulting from a war that should never have been. There is nothing we can do to punish the people who dragged us into this catastrophe. Let's hope that the God that Bush so fervently believes in will hold him to account for the loss of life. Or shall we call it "Murder"
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 12:07 pm
Any god that would consider Bush its faithful servant probably has a hard time disguising its sulfur breath!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 12:10 pm
Au1929, 'murder' is the most appropriate word.

Hobitbob, LOL. The whirly thing on top and the chukka, chukka, chukka were wonderfully descriptive, technical definitions of the Chinook. Chukka, chukka, chukka especially, makes a most profound impression and is evocative as only a man could make it. Cool
(The nun gone bad thanks you from the bottom of her heart.) Embarrassed

There are probably more humers here in Denver than in Iraq. Ours, however, are pristine and used to get groceries and take kids to school. Many are a lovely shiny yellow and reside in the more upscale neighborhoods.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 12:17 pm
Few vehicles offend my very sensibilities as much as that bloated contraption! They represent that whole: "look at how much money I have, etc..." vibe. I spend a lot of time studying at Borders in Northglenn, and periodically I look out the cafe window and fantasize about holing all of the tires on the stupid gas guzzling land-whales I see!
If you live in Durango, or Silverthorn, or even in the Boulder Canyons, I could see owning an SUV, but not if you live in Wesminster, or Northglenn, or Broomfield, or (gods forbid) Highland Ranch!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 01:19 pm
Hobitbob, you sweet, naive thing, don't you realize that those poor souls in Highlands Ranch are required to own hummers? It is in their covenant. It expressly defines them as beings worthy of messing up the environment and guzzling gas. I think Tancredo wrote that particular covenant.
(If you can find sharp, screw driver type instruments, Dys and I will help you with the tire slashing and hole punching.)

The sulfur breath comment was inspired! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 01:39 pm
Tancredo, the "nativist." Hmmmm...I wonder what Native American tribe had the surname "Tancredo." Rolling Eyes
0 Replies