Cyclo is going to NYC

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 10:48 pm
I'm going to New York City this August. I've never been before - I've only read about it, and I saw Taxi Driver once. That's about it.

I need your recommendations.

Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 3,674 • Replies: 31
No top replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 11:09 pm
Well, you know all the big, common ones already (ground zero, Ellis island, SoL, Central Park, etc). That's all I've ever done when I've gone there, and it's been enough to keep me busy and interested.

You almost have to go to a Yankee's game; it doesn't get much more NY than that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 11:35 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Diane and I stayed at the Y on west 63rd, (this is how we met) . I was there a day or two earlier.. I was there for art but, never mind that. We walked most of manhattan, once we caught up with each other.

I loved walking the city. But I am not the one to ask - see ehBeth or Joe Nation.
jespah

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 05:55 am
@ossobuco,
RP should know some things, too. He's NYC born 'n bred.
dadpad

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 06:19 am
@jespah,
You could go to central park and hang around watching in case a bomb goes off.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 06:21 am
lot's of SUV parking in Times Square, or so i'm told
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 07:01 am
@Cycloptichorn,
It is famous for its big apples. And lots of movie stars have adventures there, if TV is anything to go by...
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 09:25 am
First go to a sporting goods store and buy a cap that looks just like this:

http://www.fansedge.com/Images/Product/31-10/31-10070-F.jpg

Then be sure to wear it everywhere you go, ESPECIALLY a Yankees game.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 09:36 am
@George,
With friends like you guys...

Cycloptichorn
George

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 09:58 am
Heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee.

But seriously, if you have some time to stroll or jog, Central Park is amazing.
If you're willing to get up early (and I do mean early) maybe you can meet
Joe Nation for a jog in the park.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 10:14 am
@George,
George wrote:

Heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee.

But seriously, if you have some time to stroll or jog, Central Park is amazing.
If you're willing to get up early (and I do mean early) maybe you can meet
Joe Nation for a jog in the park.

I'm down for that, though I don't know if I could keep up with him - apparently the guy runs a lot!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 10:48 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I have a couple of those hats. I think the B stands for batter, right? This year anyway.

Hmm. August.
How much do you like to walk and gawk?
Do you want to see the city, gritty and all? Chinatown, Little Italy, the Lower East Side, the Village, Harlem... the Heights? We can map you through all of that.

Are there any great works of Art you'd like to see? At the Met, at MoMa, the Guggenheim, Natural History, your choice of Jewish or Irish or Native American Museums.
Wanna see the King Tut Exhibit? http://www.kingtut.org/home

Wanna tour the galleries in Chelsea for that perfect watercolor for your winter home? Or we can scout through the wonderful stuff the vendors have by the Met on Fifth.

I'd love to take you for a run around the Park or we can trot through some of the backpaths,have a look at the lakes and ponds and such. Gotta see the Gardens at about 109th Street.
We can go and watch the tango dancers on the East Side. Very hot even when it's not August.

Wanna go to a club and hear music?
You want earplugs or shall it be jazzier than that.
Wanna go to a bar and eat burgers and watch the boats go by on the Hudson?

Oo, let's try a couple of lotteries for Broadway shows especially if it's pouring rain. http://www.playbill.com/news/article/138574-Lottery-101-The-Ins-and-Outs-of-Seeing-a-Broadway-Show-for-Less
What's your favorite food? What's the kind of food you've never had before and want to try. Dim Sum on Sunday? French food at 2Am? Thai, Indian, I know a Bavarian place a stone's throw from an Irish pub (yes, the kind with sawdust on the floor.) We can spend A LOT for Italian at El Posto or I'll show you a no tourist place on the Upper West Side. Way upper.

==
Find ehbeth's thread re: New York. Bagels and something something. here it is http://able2know.org/topic/43309-1
Read it. Ask questions here or there.

Start now doing a lot of walking.
Don't plan on sleeping, you can sleep AFTER you get back home.
Start practicing not making eye contact with everyone on the street.
Read up on the subway system so that you are not the only one in the car holding a 2 foot by 3 foot map.

There's more.....we didn't say anything about shopping yet.

Baseball? Meh. go if you want to.

Joe(these little town blues...are melting away.....)Nation

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 10:50 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I love the harbour. Love it.

Can't imagine a trip to New York without at least one back and forth on the Staten Island Ferry - preferably during the morning rush, you get a great perspective on the harbour/Statue of Liberty/general city energy - go out around 7:00 a.m - you're back in the city before 9:00 a.m. and can hit Wall Street and then the National Museum of the American Indian when it opens at 10 a.m. Wandering around the lower Wall Street area is interesting, tiny old streets and buildings - the real old New York. Wonderful.

http://www.nmai.si.edu/subpage.cfm?subpage=visitor

Anyone who's read about any of my New York trips knows that I'm hooked on Governor's Island. It's a real treasure and often missed. Thank goodness JoeNation turned me onto it. Love that JoeNation.

http://www.govisland.com/

events schedule

http://www.govisland.com/Visit_the_Island/default.asp

august events there include

Quote:
Saturday August 7 & Sunday August 8: Civil War Weekend, 10 AM " 5 PM on Saturday, noon " 4 PM on Sunday
Experience the summer of 1863! The National Park Service, 119th New York Volunteers, The GawdAwful Mess and Battery G of the First Pennsylvania Light Artillery will provide family friendly activities, living history demonstrations, music and other programs designed to introduce you to the men and women of the Governors Island Garrison including Confederates imprisoned on the Island.

Sunday, August 8: Fred van Lente presents The Amazing Spider-Man, 1:30 PM
Van Lente, writer of The Amazing Spider-Man comic books, will talk about setting two issues of this iconic series on Governors Island, and take your questions about Spidey, how comics are made, and anything you might want to ask!

Saturday August 22nd: 10 AM " NYC Volkswagen Traffic Jam 10 AM to 4 PM
A classic car show and picnic on Governor's Island featuring classic and custom vintage Volkswagens"including beetles, buses, and Karmann Ghias"from NYC and beyond. Open to all!

Saturday and Sunday August 28-29: Michael Arenella and the Dreamland Orchestra present the Jazz Age Dance Party, 11 AM to 5 PM
Michael Arenella and His Dreamland Orchestra will cast a magical spell of hot jazz and open-air merriment that will delight the whole family. This Jazz-Age Lawn party brings you back in time to the 1920s for a rollicking and delightful afternoon rendezvous of live music and dance, instruction in period dances, picnicking, and games. This event requires tickets that can be purchased on Governors Island for $10.

walk and walk and walk

New York is a wonderful walking city.

A Sunday morning in Central Park is a wonderful experience - actually the whole day would be better - with occasional excursions to the edges to pick up interesting meals.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 10:55 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Book a place to stay NOW, if you haven't already done so.

Food in New York is an interesting discussion point. I direct you to Yelp for the best reviews/recommendations.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 11:36 am
@Joe Nation,
Hi Joe, thanks for the suggestions.

Quote:

Hmm. August.
How much do you like to walk and gawk?

Quite a bit. I really don't give a **** about touristy stuff, I know what the Statue of Liberty looks like and the Empire State building won't have been the tallest I've ever been in. I'd rather spend the time doing things that real people who live there, do.

I do like museums however so the Gug and the Met gotta be on the list somewhere, along with whatever suggestions you guys can add in.

Quote:
Do you want to see the city, gritty and all? Chinatown, Little Italy, the Lower East Side, the Village, Harlem... the Heights? We can map you through all of that.

Yes, please. Whatever is worth seeing.

Quote:
I'd love to take you for a run around the Park or we can trot through some of the backpaths,have a look at the lakes and ponds and such. Gotta see the Gardens at about 109th Street.
We can go and watch the tango dancers on the East Side. Very hot even when it's not August.

Ok!

The heat doesn't scare me, btw, I'm from Texas.

Quote:
Start now doing a lot of walking.
Don't plan on sleeping, you can sleep AFTER you get back home.
Start practicing not making eye contact with everyone on the street.
Read up on the subway system so that you are not the only one in the car holding a 2 foot by 3 foot map.

I walk everywhere now, we don't own a car, so we're good on that one.

Plenty of time to sleep when you're dead.

The eye contact thing will be tough, as it's diametrically opposed to my natural friendly state of being.

I like to memorize and highly plan out things like subway plans and routes to places I want to go in order to avoid the map issue. But I'm sure I'll be that guy anyway. Maybe I'll d/l a subway map onto my Ipod, that way I can look cool(ish).

Okay, here's the real question: where are the dive bars I should hit? I know we're going to want to go out several nights, but I ain't paying no ******* 15 dollars for a mixed drink.

Cheers! I feel enthused already.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 11:38 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Book a place to stay NOW, if you haven't already done so.

Thanks, got a friend with an apt. 2 blocks from the park and one who lives in Brooklyn. Yay free stays!

Quote:
Food in New York is an interesting discussion point. I direct you to Yelp for the best reviews/recommendations.

Really! I don't trust Yelp at all anymore, now that it's been revealed what thuggish bastards they are, with their electronic Reputation Protection Money scam.

Cycloptichorn
George

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 02:10 pm
Everyone in New York knows "a great little place in the Village."
Last time I was there we went to my friend's favorite, a lttle Spanish
place. It was wonderful!

I'm sure your local friends will have favorite spots of their own.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 02:12 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Really. I can confirm I'm not a thug, and the people I know whose reviews I follow are also not thugs.
shewolfnm

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 02:19 pm
*sniiifffffff*

home
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 03:05 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Really. I can confirm I'm not a thug, and the people I know whose reviews I follow are also not thugs.

Yes, I'm aware of that - but Yelp takes your good reviews and jam's 'em down at the bottom of the page where they are hard to find, and puts bad reviews at the top, unless businesses pay them money. They literally shake businesses down.

So I don't use it anymore. No personal offense to you. But I can't support their business model by visiting their site.

Cycloptichorn