Gun safety training for kids

boomerang

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 06:40 pm
@ossobuco,
Killing? Really? My post is all about killing?

If anything, my post is about NOT killing.

Yeah, Mo thinks my brother is cool. He is cool. If you think he's walking around talking about how "cool" it is to "kill" something you're wrong. You're bring your preconcieved ideas about soldiers and applying them to my family and you couldn't be more wrong.

Mo has wanted to be a garbage man, a soldier, an exterminator, a shark expert, a pro-baseball player, a this, a that, and the other.

You are fully out of line with your cheap shots here.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 07:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Good lord. I have no idea how you came to this conclusion.

IMO, Mo is a kid who the winds of fate have blown around until he landed at the safe harbor of the 'Rangs. No wonder he's interested in guns; I bet he sees having power over something that powerful as very soothing.
chai2

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 07:23 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Well, just read the words, it's all about shooting and killing for kids.

WTF?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 07:36 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
Grieving father says he gave son, 8, permission to fire Uzi
October 27, 2008 02:18 PM

By David Abel and Andrew Ryan, Globe Staff, and Matthew P. Collette, Globe Correspondent

Dr. Charles Bizilj stood 10 feet behind his son this weekend at a "Machine Gun Shoot" in Westfield, where the third grader aimed an Uzi at a pumpkin in the distance.

By David Abel and Andrew Ryan, Globe Staff, and Matthew P. Collette, Globe Correspondent

Dr. Charles Bizilj stood 10 feet behind his son this weekend at a "Machine Gun Shoot" in Westfield, where the third grader aimed an Uzi at a pumpkin in the distance.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2008/10/police_identify_6.html
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 07:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
Just because Mo just might some time this year want to drive a Ferrari or a motorcycle would you let him?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 07:44 pm
@tsarstepan,
Kids are also fascinated with firecrackers and other forms of explosive. Let's hope you won't divulge this dangerous fascination as well.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 07:45 pm
@boomerang,
A lot of what I have seen about Mo here has been about his fandom of his uncle, which makes sense.

Just look over your threads.

I don't mean to make cheap shots.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 07:51 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Killing? Really? My post is all about killing?

If anything, my post is about NOT killing.

Yeah, Mo thinks my brother is cool. He is cool. If you think he's walking around talking about how "cool" it is to "kill" something you're wrong. You're bring your preconcieved ideas about soldiers and applying them to my family and you couldn't be more wrong.

So when a kid desires to play a violent FPS (first person shooter), you think its because the kid wants to play the game because he or she likes the soundtrack? Finds something wholesome and goodness and light in the game? There is a reason why these games are rated for ages 17 and older.

When kids have played cops and robbers... cowboys and indians ... good guys and bad guys ... you think they're playing diplomats and peacemakers?

Ossobuco may have jumped off the deep end in her poor choice of wording and such but her understanding and intent is basically correct. No one here believes that Mo has some kind of killer streak in his genes and blood and mind. But to totally euphemize a boys' fascination with guns and think its all about sunshine and lollipops and not an ounce of pretend violence?! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 07:58 pm
@DrewDad,
I wasn't the one who gave you a zero.

I'll be back on answering you.

I'll put in my on pov reaction, which most of you know ----- we are now arming our nine year olds so they are soothed?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 08:27 pm
@ossobuco,
If your brother hates guns, I hope he mentions that to Mo.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 09:32 pm
@boomerang,
You continue with your original plan. Trouble with many of these threads is that when they go past a page or so, the new ideas often start getting loopy.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 10:00 pm
@farmerman,
Tell me where I am loopy, fm..
boomerang

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 10:03 pm
I don't know how my brother got dragged into this but I do know that he's willing to die, literally, for people to have the luxury of sitting safely at their computers typing this kind of stuff so I'm going to take a deep breath and call it a night before I get way seriously angry.

Thanks to those of you who sent words of support here and elsewhere. I truly appreciate it.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 10:04 pm
@boomerang,
BTW, I was allowed to shoot firearms at around Mo's age. I was not given any formal training, however, and as a result I did some things that weren't entirely safe.

I do have a healthy respect for guns now, though.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 10:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Just because Mo just might some time this year want to drive a Ferrari or a motorcycle would you let him?

In some ways, it's much easier for a kid to get his hands on a gun that it is for him to get his hands on a car or a motorcycle.

I was riding minibikes, motorcycles, and driving tractors at an age younger than Mo, though.
maporsche

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 10:10 pm
@boomerang,
You are doing the good and right thing boomerang; don't let these detractors try to change your mind. You are making Mo's childhood much safer with this decision, and more parent's should learn from your example.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 10:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
are you serious? really?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 10:11 pm
@DrewDad,
Mo has a motorcycle. He got it for his 6th birthday.

And OMG! He's still alive!

Mr. B's been riding since he was 5.

And he's still alive!!

And you're still alive!!!

WTH?
maporsche

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 10:12 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Tell me where I am loopy, fm..

ossobuco wrote:
Well, just read the words...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 10:17 pm
So, Mo is fascinated with guns.. and so it goes.

You have a child with many problems, who likes weapons, as many boys do in some years. You are trying to train him in the weapons?