What is your fundamental moral compass?

spendius

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 11:28 am
@plainoldme,
This --

Quote:
Gee, I would have thought that you would be better at that with words that begin with c.

following on this--

Quote:
You are one of the most mean spirited people to walk the planet. Your posts are always poison. But, I have no respect for you or your supposed intellect, which you talk about but always fail to demonstrate.

Is a tasty conversational piece I must say. If one found a place for it in a work of fiction, as it is worthy of, one would have to set the scene in such a way that if it was the heroine of the book who said it there had been previous justifications for its validity in the eyes of the dispassionate reader.

As I though HS's post was undeserving of such understated vituperation I wondered if there was a history between you two which, if we knew more about, we might take into consideration before coming to any hasty conclusions on which of you to side with.

I myself have had out of body experiences. They are quite common.

Most of us accept that they are hallucinations and laugh at them when we return back to our poor, downtrodden bodies. But David doesn't do common. So his experiences are rare. As rarities they are always going to be interesting. Anything rare always is. Like a 40 something nymphomaniac who owns a pub. But David's experiences are only deemed rare, and special, by David and that is insufficient evidence for his readers to accept them as such. Or as interesting as HS is obviously hoping to provoke them into being.

Bernie---blatham that is--- described the authentic thing when Lola saved his life that time.

Why any man who has reached the stage in life I believe David has reached would wish to make himself interesting is inexplicable to me. It partakes of a sort of pleading to have one's neck wrung just one more time. Not as pitiful as strewing $100 bills about at random for the poor but not far short.

Money and not being boring are the two main things a lady of refinement in David's realistic catchment area looks for I am told. But anybody trying to be interesting is always boring so David should move to $1,000 bills.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 03:43 pm
@spendius,
Hey, speedo, I never insult first.

I have been ignoring HS whom I have seen addressed as Helen. That brings to mind someone that Magginkat respected as a reasonable conservative.

This female has done nothing in the past three months but insult everyone.

I have ignored her.

Today, she decided to attack me.

Well, she should ignore me if she does not like my posts.

All I will say now is the woman is an unrealistic, mean spirited idiot.

If you think her insult of me was merited, so be it. Considering the stupidity you presented on the evolution threads, you have no right to speak to anyone about the content of their posts.
Ionus

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 05:17 pm
@Eorl,
Quote:
It's extremely improbable wishful thinking.
Wishful, I am happy with but why extremely improbable ?
spendius

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 05:50 pm
@plainoldme,
I think POM, if I understood it correctly, that HS was making the point that Eorl defined death as when life ceases and irreversible rot sets in and that David was defining it as imagined death. That they are talking at cross purposes then becomes a simple fact as does the fact that an argument based upon such a misunderstanding on each side is uninteresting. If I have the wrong idea of HS's post I am more than willing to be put right.

I'm sorry that you find my posts on the evolution threads to be stupid. I recommend that you don't read any more of them. It inhibits my mode of expression when I know ladies are taking enough interest in it to be able to quantify my stupidity. The matter is one of those which tradition dictates are only discussed when the ladies have withdrawn to the lounge and the port and cigars are introduced.
Eorl

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 06:48 pm
@Ionus,
For so many reasons but first to mind is the fact that life is wonderful and astonishing, even a poor understanding of all the processes involved leaves one at a complete loss to describe it's beauty and wonder, all of it culminating in (arguably) the pinnacle of biology, rational thought and self-awareness. Biological processes include the birth of new individuals and the death and recycling of old ones. To imagine that self-awareness and thought, (let alone processes such as the collection of light and cognition of images required by an out-of body experience), can occur without any of those processes requires just one thing - magic. Poof. There you go. Easy. A thinking, living being completely independent of everything required to make it such a thing.
The wishful thinking part only adds to the improbability as it's the ultimate wish, for death (of oneself and others) NOT to be.
The most solid core of my atheism stems from the realization in childhood, that, in the complete absence of gods and afterlife, that humanity would, thanks to imagination and empathy, invent them in exactly the way they appear.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 08:30 pm
@spendius,
Actually, if you go back and look at the thread, you will see that in an address to David, Hs said she never reads my posts and went into detail what she thinks of them.

Now, you tell me where I attacked her prior to that.

And, I have had you on ignore for about three weeks.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 11:08 pm
David''s and Eorl's conversation reminded me of this quote:

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein

My particularly specific and individual moral compass steers me toward believing that life itself and everything associated with it IS a miracle and living my life accordingly.
Eorl

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 11:18 pm
@aidan,
I agree with Albert completely. A lot of people don't realize that the two are the same.
aidan

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 11:34 pm
@Eorl,
Yeah - the only difference being 'reaction' or 'response' to 'miracles' I guess. Laughing
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 11:59 pm
@Eorl,
Machines can be made that not only have more functions than the component parts but also change drastically certain physical items they contact. Why is it so hard to accept the possibility that intelligent life breaks a boundary and is not only more than the sum of its parts but also changes the physical world ?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 04:06 am
@Eorl,
Quote:
The most solid core of my atheism stems from the realization in childhood, that, in the complete absence of gods and afterlife, that humanity would, thanks to imagination and empathy, invent them in exactly the way they appear.

That's teleological Eorl. You start with the appearance and then imagine plausible causes and then assume those are the actual cause and that there are no others. You see a ship loaded with containers and say its cause is to transfer goods. But the cause is to make profit for the ship owner. It has nothing to do with transporting goods. That is just the strategy for the fulfillment of the first cause. And the ship owner wanting profit has a cause too. His profit seeking could just as easily be satisfied by owning cinemas.

And your imagination and empathy have causes.

You look at a clock mechanism and it is easy to see the explanation of its appearance in the world in the form it is. That is a mechanical explanation which has nothing to say about the cause of a wish to know the time. And mechanical explanations become very complex when dealing with social phenomena and particularly with life forms.

Your explanation also says nothing about appearances in the past.

You see something, jump to a mechanical conclusion as to its cause and then assume that the conclusion you jumped to is correct. If you then broadcast the conclusion your pride becomes involved in insisting it is correct and you can soon get to the point that you can't back down from it. Then you become a bigot. Such explanations are more tempting to people who live in urban areas because most of what they see does have simple mechanical causes when thought of superficially. There are city children who believe that milk comes from shops. That is how it appears to them. Grass is always short and neat like carpet pile.

Of course, your statement begs the whole question. From where, and how, does your imagination and empathy arrive. House design and dress fashions vary in different modes of their appearances around the world and in other times. A cathedral and a mosque are derived from obviously different imaginations. Compare the ornamentation styles of different cultures and even sub-cultures.

You are in danger of only considering appearances you witness.

And you are also assuming that the absence of God is the same category of thing as the effect on social appearances of the belief in the absence of God. The absence or presence of God is not given to us to determine. We can only deal with the effects of them. An atheist in a Christian country is looking at appearances which would not exist if it was an atheist country.

Quote:
The wishful thinking part only adds to the improbability as it's the ultimate wish, for death (of oneself and others) NOT to be.

There could be no evolution without death. Freud even claimed that we have a death instinct. And death is a dramatic "appearance". So you've ended up saying that our imaginations and empathies are the cause of death and suffering rather than on the will of a God. Shouldn't we be doing something about our imaginations and empathies? Which is exactly what atheists with power do do.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 08:01 pm
I want someone to prove that the human being is NOT more than its component pieces. Even a car is more than its components.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 08:05 pm
@Ionus,
good luck, and please, is the universe finite or infinite?
Ionus

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 03:14 am
@dyslexia,
Quote:
is the universe finite or infinite?
Very Happy Depends. Very Happy Just looking at matter and not the concept of space existing without matter nearby :

If the acceleration of seperation is increasing, it is finite because there will be an edge to the universe dictated by everything in it being slower than the speed of light and everything outside it faster than the speed of light (relative to us), and as galaxies go past it they will become invisible and for all intents and purposes cease to exist. As more and more matter accelerates out past this border, we will be increasingly alone.

If this acceleration is only an appearance, and in fact the universe is not flying apart, then it could be infinite.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 08:11 am
@Ionus,
so, your answer is "I don't know"?
Ionus

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 09:08 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
so, your answer is "I don't know"?
When one is in a position to succinctly put forward a point of contention, it behoves the writer to elucidate the finer points by simplifying, without excessively so, the main points so that the reader, bless their poorly informed little hearts, will understand that great effort has gone into the creation of a system of knowledge that is not easily understood by everyone, and indeed might not be understood even by protagonists taking a different point of view to the one being espoused, and that care is required to not fully take on the opinion of the writer, except in the circumstance where the writer for want of a better phraseology, might be forced to utter those horrific words, "I dont know", then, and only then, should one obfuscate all facts and leave the reader with such fatigue as to make them vow never to ask the writer any more questions. Any Questions ?
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 10:42 pm
@Ionus,
Do you really think you impress anyone with your pseudo-scientific and/or pseudo-intellectual babble? There is nothing horrific about the words "I don’t know." That answer is generally indicative of an intelligence that far exceeds yours (based on what you post)… and objects beyond an event horizon, as far as anyone knows, do not cease to exist. The size of the universe is not at all dependent on our current ability to detect it with today’s technology, so your imaginative accelerating out of sight theory is utterly useless.
Ionus

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 11:38 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
There is nothing horrific about the words "I don’t know."
I am pleased you dont get that joke. It makes me think it has a higher standard then you are capable of....
Quote:
so your imaginative accelerating out of sight theory is utterly useless.
Really ? I would have thought you would have had the brains to at least check, oh wise one...
Quote:
objects beyond an event horizon, as far as anyone knows, do not cease to exist.

Have a read :
Quote:
The particle horizon of the observable universe is the boundary that represents the maximum distance at which events can currently be observed. For events beyond that distance, light hasn't had time to reach our location, even if it were emitted at the time the universe began. How the particle horizon changes with time depends on the nature of the expansion of the universe. If the expansion has certain characteristics, there are parts of the universe that will never be observable, no matter how long the observer waits for light from those regions to arrive. The boundary past which events can't ever be observed is an event horizon, and it represents the maximum extent of the particle horizon.

The criterion for determining whether an event horizon for the universe exists is as follows. Define a comoving distance dE by

http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/8/5/4/8546bfc665b1de29139455d6dfd8432a.png
In this equation, a is the scale factor, c is the speed of light, and t0 is the age of the universe. If , (i.e. points arbitrarily as far away as can be observed), then no event horizon exists. If , a horizon is present.

Examples of cosmological models without an event horizon are universes dominated by matter or by radiation. An example of a cosmological model with an event horizon is a universe dominated by the cosmological constant (a De Sitter universe).

It appears wikipedia is light years ahead of you.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 01:48 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Quote:
There is nothing horrific about the words "I don’t know."
I am pleased you dont get that joke. It makes me think it has a higher standard then you are capable of....
Your arrogance is only surpassed by your ignorance.
Ionus wrote:
Quote:
so your imaginative accelerating out of sight theory is utterly useless.
Really ? I would have thought you would have had the brains to at least check, oh wise one...
Not being a wiki-phony; I have no need. Perhaps you should read what you responded to and then what you quoted and see if you can find your obvious error:
Previously, OCCOM BILL wrote:
The size of the universe is not at all dependent on our current ability to detect it with today’s technology, so your imaginative accelerating out of sight theory is utterly useless.

Ionus wrote:
Have a read :
Quote:
The particle horizon of the observable universe is the boundary that represents the maximum distance at which events can currently be observed. ]It appears wikipedia is light years ahead of you.
Wiki is in agreement with me. You're just further demonstrating your ineptitude.

Previously, OCCOM BILL wrote:
This remains true, whether Ionus can detect them or not.
Ionus

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 05:03 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
Your arrogance is only surpassed by your ignorance.
And I would believe you why ?
Quote:
Wiki is in agreement with me. You're just further demonstrating your ineptitude.
Would this be your incompetence at talking about the particle horizon in response to my talking about the event horizon ?
Quote:
Of course they do. They will never be detected, examined, heard from, sighted, sent xmas cards or invited for a beer. They have gone out of this universe. They are in another universe. As far as we are concerned, they have ceased to exist and are less real than the tooth fairy.