40
   

What is your fundamental moral compass?

 
 
Ionus
 
  -4  
Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 05:17 pm
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Quote:
Since you have not given me your age
What the hell is this ? Have you never heard the expression "out of the mouths of babes" or how about "no fool like an old fool". If you think age means wisdom then clearly you are too old to mix it in a debate.
0 Replies
 
Ionus
 
  -2  
Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 05:21 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
We call it the "ignore" button...... I couldn't live without it.
Et tu, Thomas ? A bigot ?
Quote:
bigot [ˈbɪgət]
n
a person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 05:46 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
We call it the "ignore" button...... I couldn't live without it.
Ionus wrote:
Et tu, Thomas ? A bigot ?
Quote:
bigot [ˈbɪgət]
n
a person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own

I was not there LOOKING, to see that this origin is authentic, but
the word (bigot, by God) allegedly came from a captured Viking
who adamantly refused to kneel and kiss the foot of the King of England;
he was intolerant of that idea. Maybe u 'd have seen it differently ?

For the most part, I have put people on Ignore after deciding that the angry obscenity
which issues from their minds is devoid of value. I chose not to be a garbage picker,
hoping to find something of value in their ejecta.

In some cases, I have decided that non-obscene posters
were not able to reason -- that only chaos comes from their posts
and that enuf is enuf. Their ejecta is known to be devoid of value.

Its just a question of NOT continuing to mine
in worthless dirt.





David
Ionus
 
  -4  
Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 05:55 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I think the ignore button is there because we dont like to have our values thrown up in the air everyday to see how they may land. It is defensive and intolerant. The same thing can be achieved by speed reading through it and moving on to others. I refuse to allow my emotions dictate what knowledge comes into focus.
spendius
 
  1  
Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:16 am
@OmSigDAVID,
That's a ridiculous argument Dave. You have justified using Ignore with assertions which essentially mean the same thing. I can understand people using the facility but not them staying in a debate.

Try it at the social level. At a dinner party you should not put your hands over your ears when a particular person is giving his views. You should leave the room. And you should decline invitations when you think views will be presented that you can't handle.

The foolishness is in announcing it when there is no need to do so. It's pointless saying that people are "not able to reason" and that "their ejecta is known to be devoid of value". The whole point of debate is to be presented with views one is not comfortable with.

You can end up like a bunch of ladies all complimenting each other on their dress and tastes. And you can be accused of trying to make A2K into a mirror image of yourself.

OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:56 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
That's a ridiculous argument Dave.
I dispute that.


spendius wrote:
You have justified using Ignore with assertions which essentially mean the same thing.
U accuse me of redundance ?


spendius wrote:
I can understand people using the facility but not them staying in a debate.
That 's plausible.



spendius wrote:
Try it at the social level.
OK



spendius wrote:
At a dinner party you should not put your hands over your ears
when a particular person is giving his views. You should leave the room.
It has been my practice to avoid contact with people with whom I choose not to interact.




spendius wrote:
And you should decline invitations when you think views will be presented that you can't handle.
Null class; I can "handle" anything. Its not difficult; whether I choose to do so or not is another question.
My choice is not usually based upon the substance of the message,
unless that is of no interest to me; e.g., if someone is about to
give his opinions of baseball players,
I 'll have no interest in that, but if I know from experience that
a particular speaker is too stupid for my taste, I might have
written him off, with no more interest in his expressions
than in the barking of a dog.
There have been a few such members in this forum.
I have no duty to listen; admittedly, there IS a forlorn chance
that one of them might come out with something good,
I may have deemed the chances too low to bother about,
the same way that I do not scrutinize the streets for fallen $20 Gold pieces.





spendius wrote:
The foolishness is in announcing it when there is no need to do so.
Nonsense; I was having a discussion with Ionus on the subject of conversing with them, or not doing so.
I explained my reasoning. I invoke my freedom of speech, Spendius.


spendius wrote:
It's pointless saying that people are "not able to reason" and that "their ejecta is known to be devoid of value".
It is not "pointless" to mention it, if it is true.
U might as well argue with a pig, for all the good it will do u.
Reasoning only works if it is heard by someone who is able to comprehend it.

Do u understand that concept ?





spendius wrote:
The whole point of debate is to be presented with views one is not comfortable with.
AGREED; I have never opposed that. As a lover of laissez faire capitalism, I have enjoyed argument with commies n nazis.

I have also put members on Ignore
who employ frequent obscenity, that I prefer not to cognize.





David
spendius
 
  2  
Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 05:34 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I can "handle" anything.


That can't be tested on here.

Quote:
U accuse me of redundance ?


Not really. Circularity actually.

Look Dave--I'm not talking about people who get on one's wick for various reasons. I'm talking about debate. When people use Ignore because they don't wish to hear genuine arguments which challenge their fondly held opinions which are highly likely to be self-serving. I was put on Ignore in the pub the other night by a chap who has been waving flags about supposedly supporting England in the World Cup when I gave a few reasons why the team are justified in not performing up to his expectations. The main one being his obvious disrespect for the USA and Algeria teams who both stopped England playing as well as he thought they ought to. Also that the team might easily have come to believe that people like him were just using them to make a display of phoney patriotism. And that the team are all millionaires who should be on their summer holidays after a very heavy season in the Premier League and Champions League rather than being stuck in South Africa on peanut money and kept in monastic conditions by a bigoted manager who isn't even English and has far too high an opinion of his capacities. Treated like schoolboys in effect. He put me on Ignore but at least he left the company. And was laughed at.

Quote:
I have enjoyed argument with commies n nazis.


But your use of Ignore in principle suggests that your commies and Nazis were not very good at presenting arguments. Putting on a sophist's hat I think I could make commie and Nazi arguments which would have you scuttering off pretty sharpish. The fact that experiments in both of those have been failures does nothing to diminish the power of the arguments for them and through which they came to power in some highly developed countries.

Laissez faire capitalism is far easier to attack than either.
OmSigDAVID
 
  2  
Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 07:34 am
@spendius,
David wrote:
I can "handle" anything.
spendius wrote:
That can't be tested on here.
U brawt it up; I denied it.


David wrote:
U accuse me of redundance ?
spendius wrote:
Not really. Circularity actually.

Look Dave--I'm not talking about people who get on one's wick [ ?? ] for various reasons.
I'm talking about debate. When people use Ignore because they don't wish to hear genuine arguments
which challenge their fondly held opinions which are highly likely to be self-serving.
I have not done that; I have ostracized people who 've proven themselves too stupid and those who 've been too obscene.
I stand by that n have a happier life for it. (That includes shunning stupid people or obscene people who agree with ME.)






spendius wrote:
I was put on Ignore in the pub the other night by a chap who has been waving flags about supposedly supporting England in the World Cup when I gave a few reasons why the team are justified in not performing up to his expectations. The main one being his obvious disrespect for the USA and Algeria teams who both stopped England playing as well as he thought they ought to. Also that the team might easily have come to believe that people like him were just using them to make a display of phoney patriotism. And that the team are all millionaires who should be on their summer holidays [the 4th of July and Labor Day?] after a very heavy season in the Premier League and Champions League rather than being stuck in South Africa on peanut money and kept in monastic conditions by a bigoted manager who isn't even English and has far too high an opinion of his capacities. Treated like schoolboys in effect. He put me on Ignore but at least he left the company. And was laughed at.
I'll drink to that.



David wrote:
I have enjoyed argument with commies n nazis.
spendius wrote:
But your use of Ignore in principle suggests that your commies
and Nazis were not very good at presenting arguments.
I did not ignore them. Thay were neither stupid, nor obscene,
tho thay were not persuasive.


spendius wrote:
Putting on a sophist's hat I think I could make commie and Nazi arguments
which would have you scuttering off pretty sharpish.
Try it.



spendius wrote:
The fact that experiments in both of those have been failures does nothing to diminish the power of the arguments for them
and through which they came to power in some highly developed countries.

Laissez faire capitalism is far easier to attack than either.
Ease of "attack" is not among significant criteria, in my judgment.





David
0 Replies
 
plainoldme
 
  1  
Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 08:54 am
@spendius,
Could I offer a woman's perspective on ignoring people socially? Some men just do not understand that there are times when a woman's only option is to ignore a man.

That said, I remember reading in an etiquette book when I was in my early 20s that it is the woman's place to greet a man first and that men should accept being ignored. For example, when a woman is walking down a street and sees a man with whom she has limited acquaintance, she has the choice to acknowledge or ignore him, depending upon her feelings toward/impressions of him.

I am a small woman, 5' 3" tall. I didn't weigh enough to be a blood donor until after I had children. I've never had difficulty attracting men and some men can be aggressive. That means I have ignored or walked away from men I just didn't want to know at dances, cocktail parties and dinners. Most women do this.

Bob Dylan's song, "I Don't Believe You," more often thought of as, "She Acts Like We Never Have Met," is a man's reaction to being ignored by a woman after a one-night stand. But, men will also ignore a woman after a one night's stand as well!

Of course, there is the matter of a social snub, which is probably due to anger, even jealousy, rather than self-protection, but there is also a need, at times, to avoid a person out of courtesy. Posit a dinner party given by an apolitical friend who has invited you and another person whose views are opposite to yours. You and this person have a history and the two of you can not speak without sparks flying. However, the host of this gathering is dear to you. The best thing to do is to say hello to this person than walk toward someone else whose company is more welcome to you. It is not a good idea to argue, even to debate, at the home of a neutral friend.

0 Replies
 
ehBeth
 
  7  
Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 09:52 am
@Ionus,
You seem to think that all people who use the ignore feature use it to ignore people whose opinions they disagree with.

That is only one possible use of the feature.

At various points when I've gone to look at the list of people I had on ignore, they have been more likely to be people who I agree with on a political/societal level, but whose posting style I found annoying for some reason. It's much like real life for me - I'm more likely to ignore/avoid someone boring or rude than to ignore/avoid someone I don't agree with.

Ignore - one feature/multiple applications.
ehBeth
 
  2  
Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 09:55 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Try it at the social level. At a dinner party you should not put your hands over your ears when a particular person is giving his views.


I can turn my back pointedly. I can sometimes choose to leave the room. I can talk over them. I can ignore them and continue to speak with other people in the room. I can decline future invitations from the host without telling them why. I can tell the host I will not be attending any future events including that person.

Lots of ways of getting them out of my view.

dyslexia
 
  7  
Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 09:57 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
You seem to think that all people who use the ignore feature use it to ignore people whose opinions they disagree with.

That is only one possible use of the feature.
quite right, i have ehbeth on ignore because she associates herself with Setanta who is an arrogant ass, totally unlike myself.
Rockhead
 
  2  
Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 10:04 am
@dyslexia,
I lost my compass.

now I use a sun dial...
0 Replies
 
plainoldme
 
  -1  
Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 10:34 am
@ehBeth,
Beth is right. I put someone on ignore because they savaged a third party here . . . when that third party wasn't even addressing them.
OmSigDAVID
 
  0  
Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 03:13 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Beth is right. I put someone on ignore because they savaged a third party here . . . when
that third party wasn't even addressing them.
I have done that too,
when foul obscenity was employed.





David
Ionus
 
  -2  
Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 05:13 pm
@ehBeth,
People use ignore because they are lazy and comfortable with their opinions and they dont want to be mentally challenged. If someone agrees with them, thats excellent.

Your defence of ignore has been to say you dont like their posting style. What is that exactly ? I get the level of emotions involved in issues, the alternate point of view I might never have considered if left to my own devices and at the bare minimum an exercise in grey matter. Your argument for the ignore is based on after you read their post where the damage has already been done and you are uncomfortable already, then place them on ignore for the next time that might not even happen. Stuff comfort, life is about struggle, there will be time for peace when one is dead.

The ignore is used by bigots who dont even have the honesty to admit it to themselves. It must be the other persons fault. Place them on ignore. Better still, dont even sign on if your tolerance levels are that bad.
Ionus
 
  0  
Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 05:19 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I can turn my back pointedly. I can sometimes choose to leave the room. I can talk over them. I can ignore them and continue to speak with other people in the room. I can decline future invitations from the host without telling them why. I can tell the host I will not be attending any future events including that person. Lots of ways of getting them out of my view.
My God !! The confessions of a Nazi ! I bet you take great pride in not talking to racists. How do you think the world will change with your attitude ? What a lot of sanctimonious egotistical foolishness designed for your own comfort and stuff everyone else. You can tell the host you wont be attending any more if THAT person attends ? How precious of you. I would tell you quite plainly your prescence is no longer desired untill you get off your high horse and help people to understand the world.

Quote:
Lots of ways of getting them out of my view.
Bigot. Racist.
0 Replies
 
spendius
 
  1  
Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 05:23 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I have done that too,
when foul obscenity was employed.


That's a red herring Dave and I told you so. We are talking about debate. What Beth said is a red herring as well.

Like Io said--stay out of the debate. If you make a point and somebody refutes it satisfactorily and you have them on Ignore you are going to continue making the same point for the rest of your life. It's silly although I'll agree that "foul obscenity" is a reasonable excuse for the sweet pretty things. There are no excuses in a debate.
Ionus
 
  0  
Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 05:23 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
when foul obscenity was employed.
I understand you have no desire to fight in the gutter, but what did ignore achieve apart from your personal comfort ?
0 Replies
 
ehBeth
 
  4  
Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 05:25 pm
@Ionus,
I understand that you think you understand what others use the ignore feature for.

You are right in some case, but you are not correct in all cases.

It isn't other posters' fault that they bore me. They just do. I have no interest in boring people in real life, and less here. After reading a few boring posts <ignore>. It's lovely. There's no distress involved. I'd rather read an interesting argument from a different point of view.

In other cases, there are posters who are simply rude. They don't move any point forward in any way. They post simply to be obnoxious. My tolerance for that varies. I sometimes put those posters on ignore for short periods of time, usually til I'm no longer in the frame of mind to be rude back for the sheer joy of being rude.





Much as I'm sure you wouldn't believe me if I explained to you why you behave in certain ways, I don't believe you know why I do the things I do.


 

Related Topics

is there a fundamental value that we all share? - Discussion by existential potential
The ethics of killing the dead - Discussion by joefromchicago
Theoretical Question About Extra Terrestrials - Discussion by failures art
The Watchmen Dilemma - Discussion by Sentience
morals and ethics, how are they different? - Question by existential potential
The Trolley Problem - Discussion by joefromchicago
Keep a $900 Computer I Didn't Buy? - Question by NathanCooperJones
Killing through a dungeon - Question by satyesu
 
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/23/2019 at 11:15:16