please help me help a person

brahmin

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 04:29 pm
i have come to know a woman some 20 years elder than me quite closely of late.

she works in a shop at a minimum wage rate. the owner does not treat her very nicely.

has 3 kids and 2 grand kids from her daughter (she daughter died in a car crash).

can you help me help her find a nice job? she is qualified till class 12, and has many years experience working in factories and shops.

what she needs is another job which pays slightly better and probably has some benefits (medical etc). And I want to know is she qualifies for some sort of government aid as a single mother. or maybe from some social service agency. I knew a 32 year old in ohio who was also a single mom who managed to secure a grant to do a course in nursing - and now she makes good money. This woman is ofcourse older at 50, but from what i know there is a demand for nurses/cna for elder care and jobs like that. Thats the best i can think of - if you know better then please share it.

She is in delaware near the capital city of dover. Which does not help, since dover has no jobs - wilmington/newark (de) maybe but not dover/smyrna/camden.

if you know any agency (government, charitable) that could help then please let me know. She is black - so could she qualify for some sort of minority aid? or do you know any company she could try to apply for a job to - are all floor jobs in walmart/lowe's etc minimum wage jobs??

i just wish i was in a position to help but then i am so new in this country. Do you know anyone/any agency who could offer her useful advice?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 3,420 • Replies: 10
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 04:53 pm
@brahmin,
I used to live (and work) in Delaware, although it was over 20 years ago. There is no such thing as "qualified till class 12" -- do you mean that she has a High School equivalency diploma (GED)?

Nursing can be a physically and emotionally demanding job -- people really shouldn't go into it if they aren't committed to it. Yes, you can make money, but there is a reason why there is such a demand for these workers, as the work can be literally bloody and messy and emotionally draining.

What does she want to do? I realize you wish to help but this is a competent adult we are talking about.

Also, the economy, while improving, is still lousy. It's a good time to be getting education, and it's getting to be a better time to get a job but it's not great yet. I agree with you that Smyrna does not have much, but Dover is the capital city. There are going to be jobs, just not necessarily where you (or she) would first wish to look. One thing she might want to do, if she wants to work for the government (an option in Dover), is to take the Civil Service test.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 05:23 pm
she has a ged. can she qualify for some entry level govt job? will her age come in the way?
sullyfish6

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 06:24 pm
If her daughter died, she got custody of the children. Some agency would be involved.

They MAY be eligible for death benefit SS because of the deceased parent.

Has she asked for help from you?
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 07:04 pm
The children definitely would receive social security payments after the death
of their mother. What happened to the father? Is he paying child support?
There are a lot of unanswered questions here.

Could she work as a waitress? With tips her hourly wages could considerably
improve.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 08:08 pm
@sullyfish6,
she didnt ask me to ask around in the internet, no.

i suggested she fill up the application forms in walmart, safeway, acme etc. and also promised to ask people who may know. since i dont know too many people here, i am asking you guys.

i think her daughter was a single mother too. i will ask her tomorrow.

she is a very nice genial woman who hides all this sorrow behind her smile.

waitress - dover isnt upscale at all - not too many people who eat out and tip generously. still worth a shot if it increases her salary.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 08:36 pm
@brahmin,
Try Goodwill Industries. I was sent to one branch in Queens, NY and they helped me get my present day job.
Quote:

1750 S Governors Ave
Dover,DE 19904
Phone: (302) 674-9071

Goodwill Industries of Delaware & Delaware County, Inc.
300 E. Lea Blvd.
Wilmington,DE 19802
Phone: (302) 761-4640

brahmin

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 08:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
thank you very much. i will pass the contact info to her tommorow itself.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:59 am
@brahmin,
How old is she? After age 40 there are age discrimination laws in effect.

And -- Dover -- really -- there are some pretty nice places to eat there: http://delawareontheweb.com/businesses/restaurants/fine.htm . It is a city. It may not be as large as Wilmington or Philadelphia but it is not without its charms.

There is also Newark (Klondike Kate's is still there).

Also, there is going farther South. Resort season is about to start and there should be jobs in the Rehoboth Beach area.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:04 am
@brahmin,
If her Employer treats her badly she should join a union.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 06:04 pm
i gave her the info already. and she is 50.

she needs a job with some benefits/better than minimum wage and some dignity/respect.
0 Replies