I HAVE JUST EATEN SOME TOFU CRAP THAT WASNT TOO DISGUSTING

msolga

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 06:13 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
We used to get it at the local deli. My father loves it but I always demured. In one of the Little House books, Laura Ingalls Wilder describes making head cheese.

I'm part Slavic as well . . . Polish but with Irish, Austrian and Hungarian in the mix.

That's a very colourful mix, POM! Smile

I recall, when I was little & my mother was cooking up a big pot of the pig's head concoction (with lots of garlic!) that the ears were particularly tasty .. with a kind of interesting crunchy texture! Wink
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 06:18 pm
@farmerman,
Come on, farmerman! Tofu is a healthy food made from soy, and there are several ways to prepare it for eating.

The name "tofu" is used in most Asian countries, and is prepared differently in most countries.

Tofu itself is bland, but it can be flavored in many different ways. I like to add ginger and soy sauce when eaten fresh. Koreans prepare it in their soups, and the Chinese prepare it with other vegetables and meats.

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 06:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I certainly don't like/love all tofu dishes, and I am very careful to limit the amount of soy in my diet, but there are a few dishes that use tofu that I am NOT interested in giving up.

1. hot and sour soup mmmmmmmmmmm I will travel many hours and miles to get a good bowl of hot and sour soup

2. pad thai

3. the wondrous deep-fried mashed tofu dumpling dish we sometimes get at Pearl Court. It is served on steamed bok choy with a lustrous sauce

msolga

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 06:42 pm
@ehBeth,
You're making me hungry, Beth.

One of my favourite Vietnamese tofu tofu dishes (cooked in a clay pot) looks something like this. Not quite the same dish, but close. Wonderful stuff! :

http://rasamalaysia.com/uploaded_images/braised_tofu/braisedtofu.jpg

http://rasamalaysia.com/recipe-braised-bean-curd-firm-tofu-with/
ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 06:47 pm
@msolga,
That looks like a cousin of Ma Po Tofu. Yum
farmerman

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 08:07 pm
@ehBeth,
HEY, C I is Back!!
Sorry, Im still not a big tofufan.
Im an orthodox Meatantatertarian
Pemerson

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 08:23 pm
@farmerman,
I ate tofu once, a few years ago. It must not have been too tasty as there's been no second time. Might try the Coluber2000's recipe though.

But, Farmerman, just yesterday you were talking about LARD, all kinds of lard.
You don't have a chance of liking tofu, less it's fried in lard.

0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 09:03 pm
@msolga,
I met a young woman from Hungary and, to add to our conversation, I told her that my maternal great-grandmother was from Budapest. "Ah," she responded, "I am learning that most Americans have a secret Hungarian grandmother."
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 09:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
So desu ne!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 08:54 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Ive gotta say that the "not too bad" tofu I had was made by this Korean immigrant guy. The 'fu actually looked like beef chunks. (The mealy texture is still a bit un appetizing to me). BUT the use of the jalapenos and the nice garlicky sauce was good. I coulda made a sammich outta the jalapenos and the gravy, just leave out the tofu.
Hmm.
Sorry I missed most of the discussion, farmer.
You say the 'fu' was kind of like beef chunks. . .
What about the 'toe'?
I've collected toefu before, not that I'm proud to say it.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 08:57 am
@edgarblythe,
Edgar, you look different - dog tired, in fact.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 09:51 am
Dating a vegan has opened up my diet's vocabulary so to speak. I've never had a problem with tofu, but now I really like it. This is good too, because it continues to become a larger part of my diet as I'm retiring red meat and poultry.

A
R
Tofu scrambles are where it's at.
farmerman

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 11:59 am
@failures art,
I find that, if done maginatively and with some flavor, I wouldnt ralph it up either.
failures art

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 12:02 pm
@farmerman,
Want a recipe?

A
R
Tofu
0 Replies