I HAVE JUST EATEN SOME TOFU CRAP THAT WASNT TOO DISGUSTING

plainoldme

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 08:06 pm
This might disgust FM even more . . . you used to have to wrap tofu in a towel and weight it to help drain the water from it. It did taste better that way. Today's tofu seems better. Living where I do, I buy locally made tofu. I kid you not.
farmerman

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 08:26 pm
@plainoldme,
Yeh, we have "locally made head cheese" too. Dont ask.
coluber2001

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 12:18 pm
Tofu is excellent with scrambled eggs, which texture alone I can't stand. Fry some mushrooms, add tomato, homminy, tofu, and salsa or piquante, and add eggs. This is a variation on juevos rancheros.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 12:29 pm
@coluber2001,
That sounds good, Coluber..
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 12:33 pm
@coluber2001,
Quote:
This is a variation on juevos rancheros.
actually this can barely be called a variation of huevos rancheros.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 12:58 pm
@Linkat,
A little soya sauce on a nice hefty chunk of tofu topped with ... ... ... , wasuretta [I forget] those dried fish flakes, Kamenboka????, that's heaven.

Edgar, you should try edamame, boiled soy beans with a little salt sprinkled on them. Better than peanuts and as good as most other nuts. Even the shells are delicious, kind of like green pea shells. They available in most frozen food sections if you can't find them fresh.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 07:40 pm
@farmerman,
I know what head cheese is . . . I'm from the Midwest.
plainoldme

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 07:41 pm
@coluber2001,
I had a tofu scramble at a remarkable vegan restaurant. They use tofu to make the filling in vegan cupcakes which are to die for.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 07:49 pm
@plainoldme,
So do I now, after a Google search to find out exactly what it is. ... I'm Slavic. Wink My mother used to make it, years & years ago.
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 11:39 pm
For a supposedly hip, intelligent, widely-cultured population, Cambridge has a surprising number of the worst Chinese restaurants in the world. I think we have at least two, possibly three, of the world's ten worst. One of my workplaces got takeout from one of them today. Mosst of mine was easily forgettable, except for one thing: Hot and Sour Soup!! Do you know hot and sour soup, farmerman? It may be impossible to make bad hot and sour soup--it's usually made with chicken or pork, but I discovered today it can also be very good with tofu.
msolga

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 11:48 pm
@MontereyJack,
Look around for alternatives to the the tired old Chinese restaurants ... Cambodian, Vietnamese, Thai, Burmese ...
The newer the establishment, the better!
laughoutlood

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 12:02 am
@msolga,
Quote:
The newer the establishment, the better!

Every day is a new day in the kitchen.
msolga

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 12:08 am
@laughoutlood,
Every new immigrant community adds diversity to your eating options.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 12:14 am
oh, I do, olga. I love Vietnamese. When I am good in the dentist's chair, after heavy construction in my mouth, I get to reward myself with a couple takeout offerings from New Saigon Sandwich. You know about Vietnamese sandwiches? Nuoc cham rules.
msolga

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 12:22 am
@MontereyJack,
No, I don't, MontereyJack. (Am I missing out on something delicious here?)
Though possibly I do, but by another name?
But I love, love, love Vietnamese food!
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 03:30 am
@msolga,
Quote:
Every new immigrant community adds diversity to your eating options.

Meaty comment.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 04:38 am
@MontereyJack,
Ive had several versions of Hot and Sour soups and one or two have tofu chunks along with the meat and veggies. I like Hot Nad sour, but I disagree that its impossible to make a bad one. I have a distinct memory of an "erzats" CHinese restaurant at the Jersey Shore where the Hot and sour soup (and most of their damn food) was waaaay too salty.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 08:59 am
@msolga,
We used to get it at the local deli. My father loves it but I always demured. In one of the Little House books, Laura Ingalls Wilder describes making head cheese.

I'm part Slavic as well . . . Polish but with Irish, Austrian and Hungarian in the mix.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 09:02 am
Every bowl of Hot and Sour that I have ever had contained some tofu but in thin slivers. It always takes on an appetizing roasted color from the broth.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 12:42 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
"erzats"

Ersatz you, just the once?
0 Replies