Mame

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 07:18 am
In the city where I live, there is only a handicapped parking rule. The City has said nothing about Mothers and Tots. It also doesn't cover mall or store (ie private) parking lots, so I have no idea who would enforce a non-mom with tots person parking in a mom-with-tots parking space. Guess I'd have to read the mall Parking rules for each mall.
Linkat

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 07:43 am
@Ceili,
I thought I also read that some Walmarts do not allow this - because of the state laws..not 100% sure though - sometimes I think I dream things up.
BillRM

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 08:39 am
@Mame,
Would you care to name the city and or state or country?
Bella Dea

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 09:06 am
It's not a law here in Michigan. Handicapped, yes. Mother, no.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 09:09 am
@Mame,
Mame it's like a trespassing fine in Edmonton. Not many places enforce it, bad for business.
Mame

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 09:10 am
@BillRM,
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 09:11 am
@Linkat,
Your probably right. Not all places have equal laws and Walmart was just one example. I know that there are several places in Canada that want to change the zoning laws to stop Walmart from doing this. Until that happens, they own the lot and they can pretty much do as they see fit.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 09:14 am
Bill, I've put you on ignore. There is only so much unintelligible writing a girl can read in a life time. I'm done.
Mame

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 09:43 am
@Ceili,
What's like a trespassing fine? I missed something.
BillRM

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 09:52 am
@Ceili,
Quote:
Bill, I've put you on ign

No problem as you are an idiot as I had posted the laws here for all to read and it is as plain as your IQ standings that at least in South Florida baby/mother parking have the same legal standing as handicapped parking spaces.

Could it be the cold weather in Canada had shut most of your brain cells down?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 10:29 am
@Mame,
In Private Parking lots, ie malls, stores blah, blah, blah...
Stores, businesses can deem who or what parks wherever.(except emergency lanes - fire lanes, and handicapped parking) ie. No-parking, staff parking, no-over night parking, restricted parking, mother/tots parking, yadda yadda. As long as signs are well posted (visible) and with the name/number of towing company that patrols the lot, ie ABC towing, they can enforce their own artificial rules. So, if walmart decides that you are parking illegally, under the Mom and Tot courtesy sign, they can have the towing company tow your car, and you will be fined, much like a trespassing ticket. In other words, if you the customer decide to thumb your nose at Walmarts parking lot rules and park in a courtesy parking spot, they can and will tow your car and fine you. This is well within their right, the own the lot and can do as they see fit.
Most places won't tow your vehicle as it is bad for business, but they DO have the right.

Mame

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 10:34 am
@Ceili,
Ah, thank you. Do you think you need a Mom-and-Tot permit? I've never seen one, so how would they know I'm not inside with a tot?
Ceili

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 10:45 am
@Mame,
Exactly! It's not law here or in most places but Florida apparently. So no, I've never seen the mom/tots placards anywhere, even when I was in Florida. I didn't see any spots designated either, and I've seen no documentation stating stores MUST have reserved parking for these mothers and tots. But I guess, if they do, it must be enforceable, somehow...
Some of these stores watch who goes in and out, video monitoring and parking patrols. I personally think it's bad for business. Persecuting your shoppers is kind of stupid, but I'm not the CEO for any of them..
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 10:47 am
@Mame,
They have the grocery or discount store police stake out the spots and viola they spy a man walking to the parked car without a small tot and then he jumps out and immediately arrests him.

At least that is how my twisted mind sees it.
Linkat

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 10:48 am
@Linkat,
And then there is the "over 12 item" police that stake out the express lanes....you really don't want to be caught by them....
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 01:10 pm
@Mame,
In Florida it the same form of permit that you hang in your front window mirror as the handicapped parking permit.
Mame

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 04:01 pm
@BillRM,
Yeah, but we don't have that here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 01:51 pm
Victor, did you ever get a response?
Linkat

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 02:10 pm
Well, now I have to apologize to those speaking of the "infant parking". I did notice at BJs that the infant parking is near the front and not near any of the carriage corrals. So I guess some places do not place them at the corrals. Which to me defeats the purpose.
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 02:23 pm
@ossobuco,
I sent a second email to the Mayors office and still did not receive any response from her or a staff member! All I can do is assume that Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake does not give a damn about us that are handicapped. Her predecessor Sheila Dixon got drummed out of office for stealing gift cards intended for underprivileged children at Christmas time!