Ceili

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 10:22 am
Read above again. I was only speaking of myself, not preaching to the choir. K. Get it. Good.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 10:25 am
@BillRM,
Uh, that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

If they are too handicapped to go get a sticker they shouldn't be driving. Period. I am sure that if someone doesn't have help getting there, their doctor could help out. And besides, if they can't get to the Sec of State to get their sticker, how are they getting there to renew their license? I believe you have to go in every so often rather than just mail it in.

I know not everyone has family around to help them out, and they need a means to get around. But seriously, if you can't get in to get a handicapped sticker, why should anyone assume you are safe to even be driving?
ehBeth

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 10:30 am
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:
If they are too handicapped to go get a sticker they shouldn't be driving.

The handicapped sticker (here in Ontario) moves with the person it is assigned to - they don't have to drive a car or have a car - it is to be used in any car/truck/van they will be travelling in.
firefly

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 10:35 am
@Bella Dea,
People who are handicapped passengers can also obtain permits, you don't have to be a driver.

There is no reason for a person not to be able to pick up a permit. I think they can even have someone pick up the forms and return them for them, if need be.

If you can't manage to pick up a permit, you just can't use the handicapped spaces.

0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 10:36 am
@ehBeth,
Well, that even further makes me believe that if they can't get a sticker, they shouldn't park there. I mean, for goodness sakes, you don't even have to drive to get it!

The person driving doesn't have to be handicapped to park there; they simply have to have someone who is in the car and a sticker/tag to show it.
Bella Dea

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 10:36 am
@Bella Dea,
We must have been on the same wavelength there Firefly ... LOL

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 10:41 am
@Bella Dea,
Quote:
I know not everyone has family around to help them out, and they need a means to get around. But seriously, if you can't get in to get a handicapped sticker, why should anyone assume you are safe to even be driving?

Not a one to one connection at all. I do not drive into down town Miami myself unless it is a matter of great moment.

People who are fine driving to a local store are not fine in heavy traffic with few parking places of any kind.

My mother can drive to a few near by places with safety but do not ask her to deal with heavy traffic express way traffic or the center of a city.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 10:43 am
@Mame,
I agree to each his own and I did not mean to berate you for not getting involved (actually felt you were berating me for "not minding my own business") - everyone needs to do what they feel comfortable with.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 10:44 am
@Bella Dea,
The disabled parking spot is for the mobility-impaired person, whether or not it is the driver.

Suggesting the driver has to be disabled is like saying the baby should be driving the van that goes to the parent/child spots. It doesn't work that way.
Bella Dea

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 10:45 am
@ehBeth,
I never said that. In fact, I said the exact opposite.
Linkat

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 10:46 am
@BillRM,
Bill - just to let you know - most of these are not the front or close parking spots. They are the ones a bit further out next to where you see the carriage corrals (at least this has been my experience). It is supposed to be for parents with infants or small children so they can grab a carriage and dump the monster into it rather than drag them through the parking lost where some little monster will run into traffic or to help a parent with an infant in a infant seat from having to lug the seat and baby into the store.

Ever try lugging those things? They are heavy as h*ll. Believe me when my kids were babies, I loved not lugging the baby and car seat across the parking lot.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 10:47 am
@Bella Dea,
ok - I re-read a couple of times and get what you were saying.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 10:48 am
I agree with the Expectant Mother spaces but not so much the Mother/Child spaces. But that's just me. Whatever.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 10:48 am
@BillRM,
There are more and more handicap parking space than they used to be - my understanding is more people are qualifying for handicap placecards thus the legal requirement.

Seems odd about your condo association. We have one and only have a few handicap spots - and those are directly for owners that are handicap. Maybe the laws are different where you live.
djjd62

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 10:49 am
Victor Murphy wrote:
Dear Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake

You won't get a response, this person is mayor (more important than an average citizen), and they have a hyphenated name (way more important than an average citizen)

your sincerely
dj jd-62
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 10:52 am
@Linkat,
I thought there had to be a certain number of spots based on the size of the lot. Maybe, like you said, state laws are different.
Linkat

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 10:55 am
@Bella Dea,
There is - but a condo association (depending on state law) is private so I do not believe at least where I am that it applies.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 11:00 am
Just like driving... Parking is a privilege. Most parking sites are privately owned and operated. Under the law, they must provide a certain amount of handicapped spaces, each municipality/state/province has their own laws. Aside from that, the owner of the lots can do what ever they want. If they decide to have parking for blonds with big cazungas, or have no parking allowed, that is their prerogative. If they choose to have a car towed or fined, c'est la vie, again, the owner of the land can do as he or she sees fit. Don't like it... shop elsewhere.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 11:13 am
I don't drive all that much and where I do drive to are all local small establishments (grocery mart/cafe etc) at the grocery mart I require the use of an electric cart and more often than not the employees keep and eye out for helping me get items to high for me to reach. I always go during low shopping hours when there are few cars in the lot. Often when they see me drive up they bring the electric cart out to me to drive into the store. I am able to walk (with a cane 20 to 30 feet) I avoid going to places that I have to walk more than 30 feet such as the pharmacy or where there is busy parking traffic. I leave that up to lady Diane.
I don't have a handicapped parking placard.
On the other hand, My mother had both her knees replaced about 15 years ago and my father got a handicapped placard for his car and renews it every year even though my mother is bed fast and never goes (let alone drives) a car. He likes having the placard so he can park near the door.
I didn't get a handicapped placard because I thought that by this time I wouldn't need it.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 11:25 am
some local folks i know have elderly parents that live with them, they have a handicapped sticker for their vehicle because they transport their parents around, it enrages me when i see them uptown parking in the handicapped spot when they don't have the parent with them