sozobe

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 06:42 am
Victor, did you see the person who parked that truck? I agree that not all disabilities are visible, as osso said. But also its not clear to me that the driver of this truck was not in fact disabled (visibly or not). People can work for the city and still be disabled.
Thomas

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 07:30 am
@Victor Murphy,
If you want the city to do something, it's always best to be specific. Hecklers write letters of complaint all the time, so it's hard for officials to check if your complaint had merit. The next time this happens, I recommend that you include the cars' license plates in your letter. That way the city can talk to the actual culprits, check for themselves, and draw its own conclusions before getting back to you about it.
Linkat

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 10:07 am
@Mame,
You need to find my thread on this - it explained that there were many spaces (some right near by where they parked) and that these spaces are not even the closet to the front - they are typically next to the carriage corrals so that moms can easy grab a carriage and put the car seat immediately into the carriage rather than lug the car seat into the store and also for ease of loading the car with the groceries.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 10:10 am
@Mame,
And maybe if more people would speak up then maybe boneheads would be more likely to follow rules that make society a better place to be. So if you see some toddler run into traffic because a mom is lugging all these groceries and turns for a second, you do not offer help because "it isn't my business?"

Sometimes it is worth while to say something - sometimes people are just clueless and letting them know they being rude, impractical, etc. actually informs them.
Linkat

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 10:12 am
@ossobuco,
No you were in the right - sometimes embarassing some one will make them think twice - I agree that some handicaps are not always apparant - but if this person didn't have a handicap placecard then go ahead and berate them.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 10:13 am
@Mame,
I'd rather get screetched at and know I at least did something. I cannot stand people that do not want to get involved - you may change your tune if some day you require a handicap space and none is available because all these lazy a$$ed people park close up.
BillRM

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 10:15 am
@ossobuco,
You guys do know that you can not always tell when someone had a heart or lung condition of one kind or another and even looking health is not.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 10:27 am
If you need a placard, get one. If you're too lazy to get one, then don't take the parking space of the person who wasn't too lazy to get a one. Seems simple to me.
I've yelled at jerks who park in handicapped spaces and I'll do it again. I detest boors.
As for mothers and children, I don't mind being courteous, doesn't hurt me to park a few spots away, most of us could use the exercise anyway. I'd rather park further away from the doors anyway, less chance of my car doors getting dinged by assholes who can't park properly.
firefly

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 10:56 am
@Victor Murphy,
I would send a printed letter to the mayor, and not just an e-mail. If you want to be sure the letter gets some attention, mail it with delivery confirmation that requires a signature.

What do you want the mayor to do in response to your letter? I don't think you are clear about this.

I think you should remove this part:
Quote:
Please see that your city vehicles obey the handicapped parking rules and do not park in the reserved spots. It was a white pick up truck with the number 032091 on the side.Thanks for any help in clearing up this matter!

And, instead, say something like this:

Quote:
The restaurant is located at 7940 Eastern Avenue in Essex. It was a white pick up truck with the number 032091 on the side.

I am requesting that you personally investigate this matter because I believe it constitutes a serious disregard for the public welfare of handicapped individuals. I would appreciate it if you would inform me of the actions you have taken to investigate the parking violation involved, and any measures to insure that such infractions do not occur in the future.

Thank you, in advance, for your assistance.
Sincerely,

You are far more likely to receive a reply to a regular printed letter sent through the mail, particularly one that is asking for a response.
Linkat

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 11:26 am
@Ceili,
agreed!
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 12:02 pm
@Thomas,
I didn't write the license plate number in my email but I did give her the serial number of the truck in my message!

Dear Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake,
On Saturday April 24, 2010 I went to Cactus Willies for breakfast at 9:30 am. One of your city trucks was parked in a handicapped parking space causing me to have to park farther away from the restaurant. The restaurant is located at 7940 Eastern Avenue in Essex. Please see that your city vehicles obey the handicapped parking rules and do not park in the reserved spots. It was a white pick up truck with the number 032091 on the side. Thanks for any help in clearing up this matter!
Bella Dea

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 12:05 pm
If you are handicapped but don't have a sticker, then you shouldn't be parking in the handicapped space. Plain and simple. If you aren't handicapped enough to get your butt to the state to pick up a sticker, than you aren't handicapped enough to park in the spots.

And for those who do park there when they shouldn't, they'll get theirs....
Victor Murphy

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 12:19 pm
@sozobe,
The vehicle has to have handicapped tags or placards like below. It is illegal to park in handicapped spaces without them!
http://i41.tinypic.com/etxzyr.jpg
Victor Murphy

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 12:24 pm
@firefly,
firefly I expect the driver of the truck to be reprimanded by the mayor or his immediate supervisor for taking up a handicapped space illegally!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 12:25 pm
@Victor Murphy,
OK, I didn't see you say that you looked for tags + placards and it didn't have them. Sorry if I missed it.
Thomas

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 12:32 pm
@Victor Murphy,
Sorry, oversight on my part.
Victor Murphy

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 12:33 pm
@sozobe,
There is no need to be sorry! Smile
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 12:35 pm
@Thomas,
Dont worry about it!
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 12:38 pm
@Victor Murphy,
Sorry to say that I wouldn't respond to your email. The reason is you didn't ask for a response back. You gave the information you had and said thanks for help in clearing up the matter. Maybe the Mayor did look into it??

Just a suggestion, but next time ask for a response back.
Linkat

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 12:42 pm
@Victor Murphy,
I think the note is totally appropriate - it is written in a tone that should indicate you are not a nutcase or overreacting.