Victor Murphy

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 12:49 pm
@TTH,
The email also had my name, address, and phone number on it. Which means that I would like a response from her.
I posted the message here but I'm not going to post my name address and phone number on this forum! Would you?
Victor Murphy

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 12:54 pm
@Linkat,
One thing that I didn't mention, this person has only been the mayor for a few months. The former Mayor "Sheila Dixon" was convicted of taking gift cards for underprivileged children at Christmas and forced out of office!
Linkat

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 12:59 pm
@Victor Murphy,
Scary!

It should be obvious that you wanted a response. Maybe the new mayor is extra busy and hasn't gotten all his/her ducks in row - ie who would be the one to respond (often times the mayor wouldn't respond, but an assistant may) or maybe she/he is checking into it first and then will let you know how it is handled.

Although it never hurts to ask - could you let me know how this handled? That why you force the hand in a sense.
firefly

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 01:06 pm
@Linkat,
It is not obvious that a response is being asked for.

A mayor is a very busy person. They do not respond to all mail, let alone every e-mail. If you want a response, you have to be very clear about what you want the mayor to do, and indicate that you expect some sort of reply. You should also take the time to send a "real letter". It is too easy for e-mails to be overlooked or ignored.
Ceili

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 01:17 pm
I used to work for the city up here. Most complaints were handled and responded to, it didn't matter if it were by phone, email or snail mail. Different city - different policies maybe, but it you've left the info, it might take a while to do an investigation, they'll probably get back to you, if not, give them a call. Bureaucracy isn't the fastest thing known to man.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 01:20 pm
@firefly,
The mayor will, if they want to get re-elected. I would expect the mayor to answer - we the residents of the city/town pay his/her salary - the mayor works for the people of the city.

Not necessarily the mayor, but an assistant. I live in a city of over 90k. I emailed the mayor with a concern and his assistance responded to me and addressed my concern/complaint in the same day.

My daughter wrote to the mayor for a school project with a series of questions. He took time out of his day to answer them.

In today's environment a "real" letter though nice, is not necessary - most have email addresses specifically for concerns of the residents.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 01:42 pm
@Linkat,
There are many ways of handling things without being rude to people, and anyway mom and tot spaces are not enforceable. I really don't care how many threads you've created on this topic - we'll have to agree to disagree.

I'm not talking about handicapped spaces - those are inviolate in my mind.

Mame

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 01:48 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

And maybe if more people would speak up then maybe boneheads would be more likely to follow rules that make society a better place to be. So if you see some toddler run into traffic because a mom is lugging all these groceries and turns for a second, you do not offer help because "it isn't my business?"

No, of course I'd offer to help, but what she could do is put the kid in the seat in the buggy and put her in the car before unloading groceries. What's so difficult about that??

Sometimes it is worth while to say something - sometimes people are just clueless and letting them know they being rude, impractical, etc. actually informs them.

Right, and some people just can't mind their own business and think they're the police. What right do YOU have to tell someone off or inform them they're being rude, impractical, etc? You deserve to get screeched at - I hope it ruined your day.

ehBeth

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 02:10 pm
@Victor Murphy,
Victor Murphy wrote:
The email also had my name, address, and phone number on it. Which means that I would like a response from her.

no. it does not mean that.

The message as you have copied it here does not suggest any response is expected. It'd be great if they read that into your message, but I sure didn't read any explicit or implicit request for a response.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 02:11 pm
@Mame,
Actually you did say you would not say anything in regard to handicap spaces either. You did not understand why one would get involved. I guess I just like to helps others especially those that may require more help or are less fortunate.

And I wasn't rude to them at first until the girl started swearing at me. I at first simply let them know it that this was a parking space for people with infants. I agree that they are enforceable at least legally, it is also not illegal to allow a door to slam in the face of the person behind you, but I usually prefer to be polite and hold the door. It is a matter of living in a civil society and helping others.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 02:11 pm
@Victor Murphy,
Victor Murphy wrote:
Please see that your city vehicles obey the handicapped parking rules and do not park in the reserved spots.

this is what you told the person to do.

nothing about responding to your email.

Did you look for tags on the vehicle?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 02:16 pm
@Mame,
No you can't ruin my day - say at that woman and teenager - I just laughed at their inconsiderate behaviour.

Sometimes children are not in the carriage especially as they get to be toddlers they cannot fit.

Why is it minding your own business if you are trying to help someone less fortunate or would require a little more assistance. Like having a parking space that is more convient for a parent that needs to lug a little monster or some one that can not get around very well?

I find it as helping some one else. But I do know there are many people who do not like to get involved and help others. It can put in a spot that is a little more uncomfortable, but I'd prefer to be a doer and helper than some wimpy person that ignores the harder situations of others.
TTH

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 03:05 pm
@Victor Murphy,
Victor Murphy wrote:
I posted the message here but I'm not going to post my name address and phone number on this forum! Would you?
Well your email should have your name, address & phone # in it so if they want to contact you, they can. You are assuming they should respond just because you provided them that info. I still wouldn't respond back if I were them because no where do you indicate you want to be contacted with a response.

When I write to my govt. officials or to a company, whether it is something negative or positive, I will politely ask them to respond back if I expect a response back . I can't think of one time they did not respond back when I asked them to and that included the IRS when you could still email them (not sure if you can or not still since I haven't looked lately). When I didn't ask or want a response back, I didn't get one.

btw I do think your email is nicely written Smile
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 03:46 pm
@Linkat,
I think it's a personal matter for each of us, how willing to get involved we are, how important the issue is. I don't protest, sign petitions, or get on a soap box downtown to spout off. Others do.

I would, however, attempt to save a drowning person, give CPR and mouth-to-mouth, try to prevent a child from getting snatched or hit by a car, report a brutality to the police, and child abuse to the child protection system.

So, you may do your spouting off in parking lots about handicapped or mom & tot spaces, but I can't be bothered. I just don't think this an important enough issue for me to get in someone else's face about it.And I don't need anyone self-righteously telling me that it's because I don't care, don't help people, or what-have-you. Good for you for doing what you choose about it, but don't denigrate those of us who don't see it your way.

BillRM

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 04:10 am
@Ceili,
Quote:
As for mothers and children

I hate those parking spots as how come a 20/30 year old mother can not wheel and or walk her children a few extra feet if need be?

A 60 plus year old non-handicapped person can walk better then a 30 year old woman can wheel a baby carry?

How many more special rights are we going to grant others in this society?
BillRM

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 04:13 am
@Bella Dea,
LOL so only if a handicapped person is not handicapped enough to still be able to drag his or her butt downtown to pick up a sticker..............

Your logic is funny................
BillRM

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 04:27 am
@Linkat,
I will never forget when this idiot who begin yelling at me for parking not in a handicapped spot but next to one!

After I pointed out to the fool that it was indeed not a mark handicap space, he just then walked away without even saying he was sorry.

In my townhouse association, I just have my ten year old parking place move far away, because of the county requirement that we had more such spaces and the funny thing is there is never anyone using all those unneeded spaces.

My old near parking space just go unused day after day after day night after night.

Governments at all levels can take a good idea and run it into the ground.
firefly

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 09:52 am
@BillRM,
I do have a handicapped permit, and I have had people yell at me for parking in a handicapped spot. Some people are just plain rude or rather unkind.

While I do use, and think I need, a handicapped parking spot, I actually think that most of the permits are probably given to people that don't actually need them. Where I live, practically every senior citizen seems to have a handicapped permit and this often makes it impossible to find a handicapped parking space.

Yesterday, for instance, I went to a supermarket that has about 6 or 7 handicapped parking spots, all of which were occupied when I arrived. I wound up parking at the end of this area, in a space that really wasn't meant for parking. As usual, I saw no one in the supermarket who was using a wheelchair, electric cart, walker, cane, or any other device, that indicated a mobility problem. It always amazes me that all of these handicapped drivers, who allegedly need to park close to the entrance, are suddenly able to walk all over that supermarket, for extended periods of time, without apparent difficulty. I was using a rollator (it's sort of like a walker) which has a seat, and I had to sit down on it several times just to be able to complete my relative brief shopping order. I seemed to be the only person in that very large supermarket who seemed to be having very obvious problems standing or walking. This seems to be the case most of the time at most of the supermarkets I go to--yet those handicapped parking spots outside the door always seem to be fully occupied. Are these people all miraculously cured once they enter the market?

I do think that in many instances these handicapped parking permits are being abused. I do think that they were originally intended for people in wheelchairs, or those who use electric scooters or walkers, or other mobility aids. That's why these parking spaces are wider--to make it easier to get such devices, and disabled passengers, in and out of cars. That's also why the handicapped spots are near the cuts in the curb, that allow a wheelchair to be pushed, or someone to walk without having to go up a step to the curb. You need the cut in the curb almost as much, if not more, than you need the closer parking space when you are pushing someone in a wheelchair.

Of course, people can have respiratory and cardiac and muscular and other problems that can make walking extended distances difficult--but then they would also be expected to have the same problems walking once they got inside a store too, wouldn't they? Yet this does not seem to be the case in many instances. Many people, particularly senior citizens, seem to be getting handicapped permits simply to make parking more convenient, and their doctors are willing to write them a note to get such permits. It's probably easier for the doctor to write the note than to argue with the patient. Not every medical condition constitutes a true disability, let alone a handicap for parking purposes.

My main gripe is mainly with handicapped parking outside places like supermarkets or shopping malls--places where people have to do a lot of walking once they get out of their cars--because I generally see no obviously handicapped people inside these places, even though all the handicapped parking spots are occupied. I notice that outside of places like medical buildings, or restaurants, these handicapped spots are much more likely to be used by people in wheelchairs or those with obvious mobility problems.

As much as handicapped parking helps to make my life easier, I would gladly give up my spot to someone who actually needs it more--someone in a wheelchair, or with a scooter, or who uses crutches or a walker--someone with mobility problems that really limit their ability to walk, someone who needs that wider parking space, someone who needs to be near that ramp or cut in the curb. That's who these spaces were originally meant for.

If handicapped parking spaces weren't so limited this wouldn't be an issue. But, since they are limited, perhaps we should restrict their use more than we currently do. They are not for everyone who happens to have arthritis, or a simple backache, or asthma. They are not just to make life easier or less stressful. They are intended to insure access to a building for those with severe disabilities that primarily affect mobility. That was the original intention, and I think we should get back to it. I think doctors should write the notes requesting handicapped permits only for those patients who meet relatively strict criteria. And, if that would exclude me, so be it, I'll manage with my rollator. I think the entire handicapped parking situation has really gotten out of hand.

0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 10:01 am
Bill, I could give a damn what you do, think or otherwise. I live in an area that gets very, very cold. It's difficult to push buggies through the ice and snow. As i said, it won't kill me to walk a few extra steps. I'll bet if the sign said cat parking only, you'd be all over it. These spots are courtesy spots, nothing more, nothing less. If you choose to park there, knock your self out, I choose to be courteous. If you're going to dissect my posts, at least try to get to the heart of the matter, a single phrase is a wee bit misleading.
BillRM

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 10:19 am
@Ceili,
First, in South Florida it is somewhat hard to find snow and ice! Hell in the whole state of Florida that is hardly a common condition.

Second, like hell it is a courtesy spot as you can get a heavy fine or have your car tow for parking there at least in my state you can.

Special rights at the cost to everyone else is annoying unless there is an override need such as people with real handicappeds and not walking a few extra feet because you had a child is not an overriding need in my opinion.
0 Replies