Police Find Explosives in an S.U.V. in Times Square

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 08:23 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

More interesting though is that you have actually combined "impotent" with "(right-winger) fury." Aren't you of the opinion that the publicly expressed anger of right-wingers is, in and of itself, dangerous, even if the specific right-wingers themselves are not?

If angry Tea Party rhetoric and signs are dangerously close to fueling the violent hatred of some right-wing nut, surely my "furious" comments on A2K put us all in peril --- even just a little bit?

I've never said that the Tea Partiers and the signs are dangerous. I've said they are offensive. I've said they are ignorant. Consider yourself corrected. Again.

T
K
O
CarbonSystem

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 09:57 am
It was an inside plant used by our favorite fear-mongering freinds. Every now and then the people of the US start doubt the necissity of warring where the oil is, so were soon all shown that it's necessary. Thanks to false flag tactics.
It's no secret that the CIA created and funded the Taliban. It's in our interests to keep our operation going and tell the US people the taliban are th eopposition.
http://rupeenews.com/usa/the-taliban-was-a-construct-of-the-cia-and-was-armed-by-the-cia/
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 12:03 pm

times square was evacuated this afternoon due to an abandoned cooler that was left in front of a hotel... cnn breaking news
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 12:32 pm

an "all-clear" was given a few minutes ago...
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 04:10 pm
@Diest TKO,
You've not suggested nor do you believe that right-wing rhetoric (whether mouthed by Tea Party members, pundits or politicians) is dangerous in that it may incite some to violence?
Diest TKO

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 04:33 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

You've not suggested nor do you believe that right-wing rhetoric (whether mouthed by Tea Party members, pundits or politicians) is dangerous in that it may incite some to violence?

I haven't made up my mind yet, but you originally asked about Tea Partiers/Conservatives. I am inclined to think that their rhetoric has a different impact than elected officials, and media personalities.

I will reflect on this.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 04:35 pm
@Ceili,
Hey Celli, take a look at your prior post, it was you who asserted that Canada interned Japanese or German citizens. If you don't have a problem with it, why did you bring it up?

Maybe I shouldn't be relying on you as a source for Canadian history.

If you want to engage in a US vs Canada morality pissing match, so be it, but I'm not going to join in. I like Canada and Canadians (although some of them can be smug).

I acknowledge that FDR, the Liberal Lion imprisoned American citizens during WWII simply because they were of Japanese heritage, and I've never defended the action. My point was that to compare anything discussed on this thread (by which you clearly meant my post) with the internment of Japanese-American citizens during WWII is ludicrous.

No one on this thread, and certainly not me, has suggested we need to round up Americans who are muslims and put them in camps in Utah.

BTW - how do you know the Allies have killed "far more" people in Afghanistan and Pakistan than have the Taliban?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 04:41 pm
@ebrown p,
I've no doubt at all that's not clear to you ebee, but to anyone with a rational perspective it is.

What measures would you like me to use to prove the assertion?

Number of attacks?
Number of dead or injured?
Dollar amount of property damage?
Impact on US economy?
Impact on US foreign policy?
Impact on US domestic policy?
Who you would like to be the Bad Guys?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 06:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I hadn't realized we were in a pissing match.
I didn't call Canucks smug, you did. I was merely lumping the N. American continent into a convenient group to say that some of the earlier post reminded me of the attitude that must have been prevalent during the war. Not sure why this is ludicrous. Sorry you can't make the leap.
As for the the numbers... I admit I hadn't looked them up, but for the last eight or so years, we have had news reports of entire families, children, villages being blown to smithereens by the allies. I have yet to hear of similar events happening on N. American soil.
Here is a site that has tabulated all the deaths and causalities in Iraq and Afghanistan. It has some pretty horrifying numbers of both soldiers and civilians.
Read and weep.
http://www.unknownnews.net/casualties.html
- About 296 times as many people have been killed in Afghanistan and Iraq than in the ghastly attacks of September 11, 2001.
- More than 127 times as many people have been killed in these wars and occupations than in all terrorist attacks in the world from 1993-2004, according to data compiled by the US State Department.

Ionus

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 03:11 am
During Vietnam the australians cleaned up their little hotspot province so thoroughly the US wanted to move them to another one and do it again. We said no. It turned out to be safer for australia to train a man and send him to Vietnam in uniform than it was to give him a drivers licence and have him stay in Oz.

The same is true of the wars the US is fighting in now. If all those soldiers were home in the US the same number of soldiers would be dying, due to car accidents, murders, suicides, and general civilian life in america. The loses in Afghanistan and Iraq are nothing. "One persons death is a tragedy....thousands of deaths are a statistic" (paraphrased from Stalin).
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:06 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

I hadn't realized we were in a pissing match.
I didn't call Canucks smug, you did. I was merely lumping the N. American continent into a convenient group to say that some of the earlier post reminded me of the attitude that must have been prevalent during the war. Not sure why this is ludicrous. Sorry you can't make the leap.
As for the the numbers... I admit I hadn't looked them up, but for the last eight or so years, we have had news reports of entire families, children, villages being blown to smithereens by the allies. I have yet to hear of similar events happening on N. American soil.
Here is a site that has tabulated all the deaths and causalities in Iraq and Afghanistan. It has some pretty horrifying numbers of both soldiers and civilians.
Read and weep.
- About 296 times as many people have been killed in Afghanistan and Iraq than in the ghastly attacks of September 11, 2001.
- More than 127 times as many people have been killed in these wars and occupations than in all terrorist attacks in the world from 1993-2004, according to data compiled by the US State Department.

I referred to my "smug Canadian friends."
I meant it literally. I have a number of Canadian friends, some of whom are smug.

Unless there is evidence that the government or the American people are clamoring for the internment of all Muslims on US soil, there is no serious reason for anyone to draw a comparison between the current American atmosphere and that which existed after Pearl Harbor. However, who is to question what might trigger a rememberance in anyone individual's mind.

Your comment was

"Far more people have been killed at the hand of the Allies than by the hand of the Taliban."

In support of this statement you provide a link to a site that lists casualty statistics for the US wars in Iraq and Afghan.

Are you assuming that all of the civilian casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan were the responsibility of the Allies?

Since I don't believe anyone suggests the Taliban was responsible for 9/11, I'm not sure why you would draw a comparison to the casualty numbers from that event.

I haven't looked, but I suspect that there must be some source that will at least estimate the number of people killed by the Taliban since they first came on the scene in Afghanistan.

It seems to me that you have drawn a quite simplistic conclusion. Wars that, at least arguably, were motivated by terrorist attacks have killed more people than these percipitating attacks themselves, and therefore it might be appropriate to view these wars with ambiguity if not skepticism.

I'm not sure if the logical extension of this conclusion is that nations should just suck it up when terrorists attacks, because to do anything in response, costs more lives overall than were lost to the terrorists.

Is it?

failures art

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:43 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
Read and weep.

A
Reposted for emphasis.
T
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:46 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

I'm not sure if the logical extension of this conclusion is that nations should just suck it up when terrorists attacks, because to do anything in response, costs more lives overall than were lost to the terrorists.

The obvious answer, John, is to go after these terrorists using police actions and not military ones.

Cycloptichorn
Ionus

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:48 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
The obvious answer, John, is to go after these terrorists using police actions and not military ones.
We send the police into a state that supports terrorists ?
Ionus

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:49 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Why arent you concerned with the people the Taliban were killing ? Why arent you concerned with the people killed by Sadly Insane in two wars and countless purges ?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:55 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

Ceili wrote:
Read and weep.

A
Reposted for emphasis.
T

So Diest...

Should nations that sustain terrorist attacks simply suck it up because a response may result in greater casualties than the attacks themselves?

Do you know how many people the Taliban have killed?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:56 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Quote:

Yes, we do. The Taliban never had any actual control of that country and couldn't have stopped us from doing whatever the hell we wanted to do.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:59 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Why arent you concerned with the people the Taliban were killing?

If I got concerned every time some other country had a hard time getting their act together, I'd never stop being concerned. And that's a poor way to go through life.

Quote:
Why arent you concerned with the people killed by Sadly Insane in two wars and countless purges ?

I didn't believe that a military solution would bring a better solution to the region, and I think it's fair to say that my beliefs were in fact born out.

Only the smallest of minds believe that direct intervention is the solution to every problem... it rarely is.

Cycloptichorn
failures art

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:07 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

failures art wrote:

Ceili wrote:
Read and weep.

A
Reposted for emphasis.
T

So Diest...

Should nations that sustain terrorist attacks simply suck it up because a response may result in greater casualties than the attacks themselves?

Do you know how many people the Taliban have killed?

(yes, new a2k account)

How many Finn? Google it for us won't'cha?

What's the end game Finn? Can you ever kill every terrorist out there?

A
Ratatat tat, still more terrorists.
T
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:12 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, we do. The Taliban never had any actual control of that country and couldn't have stopped us from doing whatever the hell we wanted to do.
That is a very silly thing to say. How many police ? What weapons should they take ? Will you be volunteering ?
0 Replies