Police Find Explosives in an S.U.V. in Times Square

Irishk

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 02:40 pm
@roger,
A local abcnews channel reported that a 911 caller said last night's failed bomb attempt in Times Square was just a diversion for a massive explosion to come.

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 02:48 pm
@Irishk,
Sounds to me like an after-the-fact kind of opportunism. Not that I don't worry about other efforts.
Irishk

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 02:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Mehsud made a youtube claiming he was behind it, but it's already been taken down.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 03:09 pm
it is good that this was done by amateurs, an attack by professional terrorists at this location could do some damage.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 03:42 pm
Washington Post says maybe...maybe not.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/02/AR2010050202660.html
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 07:12 pm
Quote:
More than 100 pounds of fertilizer rigged with wires and fireworks were found with the bomb, but police said it was not the ammonium nitrate grade that can explode
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_times_square_car_bomb

this is looking like high school prank grade threat, even the most poorly trained terrorist knows which fertilizer to use.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 05:44 am
@tsarstepan,
Um, Alibi? Just because my real name is John Doe #2? And I am wearing a red shirt and carrying a bag with a sweat-soaked black one in it? Immaterial, I tell you, immaterial!

The movie was "Handsome Harry". Someone had an idea for a story, wrote it really badly, got some money from somewhere to get some really good actors and a director to try and capture some of the most awkward dialog I've ever heard. "Get me re-write"
==
Two thoughts re: the car in Times Square: I wish they would not say that it was an amateurish job. This is some kind of bent mind to begin with, we don't want to encourage him to do better next time, right?

"Oh, here's your mistake right here. You got yourself the wrong kind of fertilizer."
"Oh, Okay. What else?"

errrr.
We should puff him up, say that it was only by the luckiest of lucky strokes that immense tragedy was avoided. Maybe he will brag to someone, some sister-in-law who never really liked him.
==
Please, please leave the frigging vendors who spotted the smoke and told the cop --the HELL ALONE! We need all those people to not hesitate a second if they see something.

Joe(okay, nothing to see here, I'm moving on)Nation

0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 06:24 am
I kind of wonder if this event is somehow related to groups like the Hutree militia. Perhaps the goal was to make the government (read: Obama's admin) seem incapable of stopping an attack. If this is true, the effect has been almost the complete opposite. The response by the public has been overwhelmingly one of "that was handled well" (even though it has more to do with NYC citizens and police than any federal government). Meh, just a thought.

That part that still gets me is how poorly constructed this bomb was. It's probably a sign that my above theory is wrong. I imagine most extreme right-wing gun-nut types would probably be able to assemble a very very very dangerous and effective bomb.

The "who" is killing me. I really want them to catch this guy, and I just want to hear what this idiot was thinking.

Tick tick tick... (it's a dud)
K
O
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 08:43 am
@Diest TKO,
Quote:

That part that still gets me is how poorly constructed this bomb was. It's probably a sign that my above theory is wrong. I imagine most extreme right-wing gun-nut types would probably be able to assemble a very very very dangerous and effective bomb
I am not sure that right wing militia terrorist wanta-be's would set up in front of an Armed Forces recruiting center.
Diest TKO

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 09:28 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

That part that still gets me is how poorly constructed this bomb was. It's probably a sign that my above theory is wrong. I imagine most extreme right-wing gun-nut types would probably be able to assemble a very very very dangerous and effective bomb
I am not sure that right wing militia terrorist wanta-be's would set up in front of an Armed Forces recruiting center.

Perhaps... however, if you're willing to kill any innocent person who happens to be in range (and that would include children), I somehow doubt you'd care that much.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 10:13 am
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:
I imagine most extreme right-wing gun-nut types would probably be able to assemble a very very very dangerous and effective bomb.

It's not rocket science...

"Although the bomb that rocked the Pentagon was itsy-bitsy - weighing close to two pounds - it caused 'tens of thousands of dollars' of damage." ~ Bill Ayers
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 10:25 am
@Irishk,
Here's the complete quote:
Quote:
Although the bomb that rocked the Pentagon was itsy-bitsy - weighing close to two pounds - it caused 'tens of thousands of dollars' of damage. The operation cost under $500, and no one was killed or even hurt.
[

Yup
Bombs, left wing, destroy property.
Bombs, right wing, kill people.

Discuss.

Joe(no shouting)Nation
Irishk

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 10:31 am
@Joe Nation,
As I recall, some of their bombs did kill people. The bomb they were working on when they blew themselves up in that townhouse basement (Ayers' colleagues) was targeted for a dance at Ft. Dix.
farmerman

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 11:54 am
@Irishk,
The guys who put this bomb together werent the brightest bulbs. They heard that fertilizers could be used to makie explosives so they wired the batteries to several bags of MIracle-Gro
Irishk

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 12:11 pm
@farmerman,
Laughing

I'm with Joe on this one...hopefully the New York Times (or news agency of your choice) won't set them straight on where they went wrong.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 01:25 pm
@farmerman,
Okay! No more miracle-gro. What should i us. . . that is, what could they have used instead.
farmerman

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 02:27 pm
@roger,
right, Im gonna give a secret to a rat. Go chew on some mesquite!
roger

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 03:01 pm
@farmerman,
So, we're back to mesquite with subtle overtones of creosote?
farmerman

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 03:43 pm
@roger,
Its a piquant admixture, redolent of the aromas of railroads and telephone poles .The taste is acquired.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 04:09 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
So, we're back to mesquite with subtle overtones of creosote?

Wrong (but I always figured you for a radical Laughing). I learned how to do it on MI-5, Season 6.

Irish(you have to mix the fertilizer with fuel)K
0 Replies