Stupid SECRETARIAL/WORD PROCESSING Question

fealola

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 04:36 pm
What is considered a standard, acceptable font and text size for a serious business letter and or resume?

I just used Helvitca 12pt on my sons resume (to be included in a college application). It looks good and fills out the page well. Is that acceptable and would Helvitica 12 be okay for essays or cover letters? -- Or should we used something else?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,167 • Replies: 37
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 04:52 pm
Personal opinion, not secretarial - I just hate helvetica, and reserve it for fine print (stuff I don't really want read but needs to be included.) Arial is okay if you must have a san serif typeface, but I would go with palitino, garramond, or even Times. Typefaces with serif are easier to read. Twelve point is fine, but I would set it in ten point before going to two pages. Avoid all caps, boldfacing, and italic, unless you want to boldface a topic header. As I say, these are just opinions.

If you really want to give somebody a headache, use more than two typefaces per page.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 04:55 pm
So far, I'm with you except the Helvitica! I'll try some of the other font choices and see. Thanks.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 05:02 pm
The good old Times looks the best!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 05:07 pm
Times (or Times New Roman) has been the standard for years, fealola. 11 pt. is about right, if your software gives you that option. Palatino is also good...a little more elegant. Garamond is very traditional.

Helvetica is not as professional, but works very well if you're going for a younger, more contemporary look.

Good advice, roger.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 05:10 pm
Thank you both!
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 11:02 am
Stupid secretarial
Times New Roman, for sure. This is crisp, clear, professional, and easy to read; the serifs are just right, not fussy or a peculiar size. If you don't want serifs, then Arial is a good bet.

I don't remember Helvetica very well, as Microsoft has seen fit to remove it from my list of fonts (I do wish they would do that!), but you don't want any font that will interfere between your words and the reader. Fussy or tricky stuff is a nuisance, and can really put people right off.

The larger your print, the easier to read, but keep it to 14 point or less. I find 14 point nice, but if you're concerned about preventing the text from running into a second page, then 12 point, but never 10 point - you don't want the reader to need a magnifying glass! Larger than 14 point and either you will have to use a second page, or the reader will think you're just trying to fill up space.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 11:06 am
Great! I'm right at 12 now with Times. The resume fills the one page nicely and we will stick to that. I'll keep all the size suggestions in mind for the essays when we get to them. Today I hope!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 11:46 am
When it comes to resumes - bold is advised for use in sniper resumes. Find out what they're looking for, and bold those particular words. Makes it easier for the H.R. folks to do their stuff - they sometimes only spend seconds comparing each resume to the list they got from the hiring department. Might as well make it a no-brainer for them. It's probably not too relevant at this level of resume, but keep it in mind.

and ... times new roman seems to be the way to go, 10 or 12 point.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 12:10 pm
Stupid secretarial
Embarrassed Embarrassed I meant "I do wish they would NOT do that".

Just when I'm happy with a particular type face for some special reason, I turn on my computer and the font has disappeared. Rolling Eyes Far too many of the fonts MS is putting on our machines are so similar that they can be distinguished only by the closest inspection. What a waste of resources!
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 12:18 pm
New Times Roman expands the resume to two pages, then if I reduce the size it's really kind of small. So far 12/Times works the best.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 12:49 pm
just a personal thing but i don't like Times New Roman at all. I prefer sans serif and use Arial and more often Arial Narrow for cv's etc

I also don't agree that serif fonts are easier to read - sans serif are simpler and whilst a dyslexic is unlikely to be interviewing and reading it, it is also easier for dyslexics.

It looks more contemporary whereas TNR is rather fuddy duddy i feel.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 02:12 pm
You guys are talking my language here. I've been in p.r./advertising design for more than 25 years, and typography is a special interest of mine.

Vivien, you're obviously a contemporary sorta gal. You're in good company. It is becoming more and more accepted in professional circles. A few magazines have even gone this route in the past few years.

However, most all newspapers and magazines (as well as books) use serif type and have for centuries. It has been proven easier to read for large blocks of type. (For small paragraphs & such, it doesn't matter, though.) Serif type (with a few notable exceptions) comes across as solid, professional and traditional. Sanserif type lends itself to more innovative, creative, younger and more contemporary applications.

There are thousands of different type styles. Now that everyone uses computers, the general public is beginning to learn some of the more popular names. However, the original names are often copyrighted by large type houses (it's an industry). So software companies have created knockoff versions to get around having to pay royalties. Arial is a Helvetica wannabe. Times New Roman is just a variation of Times. The list is practically endless.

The way a particular font looks is largely determined by your output device. In fealola's case, that is probably a desktop inkjet or laser printer. That's why it doesn't look exactly the same as on your monitor. In fact, if you copy your file onto a CD and take it to a different computer with a different printer, it will look different yet again. That is why everyone has to play with fonts & sizes to get the correct effect on their own printer. Yes, even sizes. 12 pt. from one printer may vary greatly from 12 pt. on a different printer.

Any other questions, or have I put everyone to sleep by now? Smile
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 02:27 pm
Stupid secretarial
Last year I needed a title page for a Halloween program, and found the perfect font, all dripping blood! Unfortunately, I don't remember the name, and nothing on the fonts menu looks similar. What a pity - it was so appropriate! Sad

Also, there used to be a very good Old English font which I found useful many times - but Microsoft in their wisdom Rolling Eyes took that one away. Damn!! Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 02:56 pm
All very interesting!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 05:14 pm
I used to do business logos to embroidery and I tell ya....type was quite a headache when they emailed a word.doc. Its fine if you have all fonts available to you however, its most likely that yes...when sending to someone else it all gets lost.
Also, Ive found that saving a doc as plain text rather that word doc for resumes emailed is a great appreciation to HR departments.
My resume is TNR 12pt....I think most people keep it simple that way. I wouldlove to make it all funky but, that just doesnt seem very professional..however, if given the opportunity for an art position maybe Id go Arial and live on the wild side Wink
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 05:39 pm
I like Verdana and something called Comic Sans MS that is in my OE.

Every now and then I try to sneak something onto a non-Times font at work. I get busted every time. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 06:01 pm
Really not a bad question at all. All my resume's were typed on light beigh paper usings New Times Roman cursive type. Looked great, except for one important notice I had not realized. If I were seeking a job in the arts or graphic design, then the resume's color and font style appropriate.

An advisor explained companies prefer resume's typed with New Times Roman, on white paper.

I was all thanking the god's for my Lexmark!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 06:23 pm
I rever Verdana to Arial when it comes to the serifeaques.

Don;t get me started on fonts, 3 year old web designers have favorite colors but they are stated in the same breath as the favorite font.

One concern to have with fonts is that some are not available on most computers and unless you are using pdf or similar your choice might not come out right for the recipient of the document.

e.g. I like "Trebuchet MS", but when the user's computer doesn;t have it I go with Verdana. Thing is, Trebuchet MS is small, so I have to make the font larger and when the user doesn;t have it they get Verdana, which looks too big.....

Best bet is to use standard fonts. In business I wish people didn't use their own style at all. I know how tempting it must be for some to personalize their work stationary but I sometimes refuse to do business with people who send such emails.

They might think their signature is nifty, but I'll block an address from sending me email to my work email simply on the basis of a non-standard signature.

Using html formatted email is something that could be a deal breaker for me as well.

Sounds picky but I'm not nearly as anal about it as others and there are reasons for this. What looks fine on one person's computer might look horrible on someone else's.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 04:23 pm
0 Replies