Married Soldiers during wartime in the Old Testament

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 07:40 pm
In doing some biblical history I have found that during Old Testament Times that marriage laws were not only strict, but very much one sided (Aimed at giving a male superiority). One discussion that presents itself is what a soldier must do with his wife when he must go off to war. There is no direct reference (from what I can find) in the Bible to this scenario, and a slight inference given to this in the Talmud. According to Jewish Law, if a man disappears or deserts his wife, or is presumed dead but there is sufficient proof of of death, a woman is considered an agunah (literally anchored). To prevent this problem (to some extent) it is customary in many places for a man to give his wife a conditional GET (Cermonious Divorce) whenever he goes off to warso that if a man goes off to war and never comes home and/ or his body is never found his wife does not become an agunah.
NOW, the question is: can you guide me towards the one of the 600 plus laws present in the Holy Bible that may be connected to this interpretation.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,111 • Replies: 4
No top replies

sullyfish6

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 08:41 pm
Google: Widows in the Bible

Widows and orphans were mentioned countless times by Jesus.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 10:25 pm
@armaxillian2,
Quote:
Aimed at giving a male superiority
Not so.

Quote:
According to Jewish Law, if a man disappears or deserts his wife, or is presumed dead but there is sufficient proof of of death, a woman is considered an agunah (literally anchored)
Do you mean insufficient ??
VERY IMPORTANT ASPECT : Do they have children ?
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 12:47 am
@armaxillian2,
This is all I could find and I don't know the OT book.
The Law protects family lines by instituting the practice of Levirate marriage where the closest male relative must marry and impregnate a widow to continue the brother’s family line
Ionus

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 07:22 am
@Philis,
Quote:
where the closest male relative must marry and impregnate a widow to continue the brother’s family line
It was my understanding he only has to impregnate the widow if she doesnt have children, he doesnt have to marry her. If she has children she will be looked after by the family.
0 Replies