Is Greece going to set off the long feared next wave of the Great Recession?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 11:27 am
@georgeob1,
Amazing to me that you would accuse the Bush admin of favoring the UAW over GM's other bondholders. After all, it was Bush's group who bailed GM out, instead of allowing them to enter bankruptcy - remember?

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 11:28 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I think you are referring to the first loan - not the eventual restructuring.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 11:56 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I think you are referring to the first loan - not the eventual restructuring.

Oh, c'mon. If the government believed that the normal bankruptcy process would have worked, then why give the first loan in the first place?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 02:11 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Thus the parasite that was, along with the former management, one of the principal factors in the companies failure was made immune fron the consequences of its misdeeds.

Even a watered down Marxist would take issue with the workers being labelled parasites George.

Are you saying that Mr Bush sat in office 8 long years while "misdeeds", no doubt all open to view, were perpetrated in America's flagship company. Perhaps they were only "misdeeds" in hindsight.

I could think of decent excuses. Structural ones. Income from other sources allowing a degree of self indulgence and then being reduced by that old bugbear known as nepotism.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 02:34 pm
In an Italian paper there was an article that Greeks with enough - lots of - money are now leaving the country taking along money which never was registrated any place to buy apartments or houses in places like London.
Leaving the sinking ship ?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 02:50 pm
Or maybe Greece sets off the destruction sequence for the EU?
Christopher Hitchens:
Quote:
How tragic it is that the euro system has already, in effect, become a two-tier one and that the bottom tier is occupied by the very countries"Greece, Portugal, Spain, and Ireland"that benefited most from their accession to the European Union. The shady way in which Greece behaved in concealing its debts, and the drunken-sailor manner in which other smaller states managed their budgets, has, of course, offended the Germans. It is openly said in Germany now that it would be better to bring back the deutsche mark than to be bailing out quasi-indigent and thriftless banana republics. Talk of that kind doesn't take long to evoke a biting response: Soon enough, Greek Foreign Minister Theodoros Pangalos was reminding nationalist audiences at home of the wartime German occupation of Greece and the carrying-off of the country's gold reserves. "Don't talk about the war" is a strong unspoken principle of European fraternity, and it didn't require very much strain to produce a major fraying of this etiquette. You can count on this atmosphere getting much worse as second-tier countries are requested by Berlin to haul in their waistlines and as Germans grumble about having to tighten their own belts to subsidize less efficient regimes.

The problem is endlessly reported as one of "bailout" terms and "packages" for "debt relief." These are all euphemisms, and they are also all short-term. The fact is that default has entered the European vocabulary on a national scale and therefore that this First World club has its own Third World to contend with. In any case, the great justification for the European Union was always political and not economic, and if the symbol of the second-order dimension becomes tarnished, then the first ideal will not escape great damage, either.

"PIGS" is the unlovely acronym for the nations"Portugal, Ireland, Greece and Spain"that constitute the shiftless out-group within the in-group. (Italy is sometimes included in the club.) It's very improbable that nations that haven't yet signed up to the euro"Britain and many Scandinavian states among them"will now do so. And that being the case, with the euro just another bill you have to exchange when moving around within Europe"then what becomes of the dream? I wish I could have ignored the croakings of an obscure Austrian fascist, but there's something about European history that makes this seem rash.

http://www.slate.com/id/2251986/
spendius

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 03:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
Maybe it's electioneering hawk. The recent gains in the polls of the third party, the Lib Dems, if it is translated into votes, which I doubt, will result in a "hung parliament, and that party is strongly pro Euro. And some say anti-American.

And it isn't a question of how many read Slate but who.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 09:22 pm
@spendius,
But why cant the economy be in the hands of qualified experts instead of short term politicians ? Isnt it the politicisation of these matters that created the Greece debacle ?
saab

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 12:20 am
@hawkeye10,
Britain and many Scandinavian states among them
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Many Scandinavian states is not correct. There are two states that do not have the Euro - Sweden and Denmark.
Norway and Iceland are not in EU.
Finland is the only one with Euro.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 12:50 am
@Ionus,
Because the experts would be selected by the politicians?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 01:00 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
But why cant the economy be in the hands of qualified experts instead of short term politicians ? Isnt it the politicisation of these matters that created the Greece debacle ?
THAT was the whole idea behind having independent central banks. However, it turns out that they are not as independent as advertised, and their competence is iffy. The Great Recession taught us that.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 07:38 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

I believe this is the dilemma that faces all of the European states following the "European Model" of social welfare provided by the government. The high taxation required to sustain these services limits long-term economic growth (relative to the "American Model" of freer markets and greater individual risk and initiative, which they so contemptuously scorn). This. plus ageing populations and low birth rates, leaves them unable to finance their social programs without growing deficits. The original financial agreement that accompanied the creation of a single currency limited the participants to annual deficits of no more than 3% and national debt to less than about 60% of GDP. This agreement has long since been scrapped, siumply because its terms can't be met, even by the larger, more financially stable nations.

The dilemma lies in the implied European political contract. A new permanent political class has replaced the former aristocracies in preserving the European tradition of top dowen rule. Its power and permanence rests on its ability to continue the social welfare schemes - reducing them threatens the end of their power. So far the dilemms appears inescapable. The politicians don't dare to hand the reins over to "experts" (if any trustworthy ones can be found - Plato didn't do so well with his philosopher kings either.)

Fo me the sad part is that we in the United States appear to be adopting this failing model just as its disintegration begins in Europe.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 09:22 am
George wrote:
this failing model just as its disintegration begins in Europe.

I think this is of the order of beliefs, George.

And you know how I hold beliefs in low-esteem..

(ok, we are doomed Twisted Evil )
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 02:27 pm
Looking dicey at the moment, the government has no credibility and the people of Greece seem to be in no mood to reform their irresponsible behaviour.
Quote:

FRANKFURT " Greece’s credit rating was lowered to junk status Tuesday by a leading credit agency, a decision that rocked financial markets and deepened fears that a debt crisis in Europe could spiral out of control.

The ratings agency, Standard & Poor’s, downgraded Greece’s long-term and short-term debt to non-investment status and cautioned that investors who bought Greek bonds faced dwindling odds of getting their money back if Greece defaulted or went through a debt restructuring. The move came shortly after S.&P. reduced Portugal’s credit rating and warned that more downgrades were possible.

The downgrades, announced near the end of trading in Europe, came amid rising political tensions across the Continent that had already punished Greek bonds and sent stock prices down sharply from London to Paris to New York. The Dow Jones industrial average slumped by 213.04 points to close at 10,991.99, a fall of 1.9 percent for the day; major indexes in Western Europe fell by 2.5 percent or more. Investors, worried about shock waves in the broader European economy, also migrated away from the euro and pushed the dollar and Treasury bonds higher. The euro slid to $1.3316 in afternoon trading in New York from $1.3382 late Tuesday.

“This is a signal to the markets that the situation is deteriorating rapidly, and it’s not clear who’s in a position to stop the Greeks from going into a default situation,” said Edward Yardeni, president of Yardeni Research. “That creates a spillover effect into Portugal and Spain and raises the whole sovereign debt issue.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/28/business/global/28drachma.html?hp
spendius

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 03:25 pm
@hawkeye10,
2 year Greek bonds are yielding 15.35%.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 03:39 pm
@spendius,
and the IMF is praising the Greek government for plans that the people of Greece clearly do not support, the major party in this government being the very same that lead the defrauding of the EU in 2001, and just two weeks ago was found to be lying again.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 04:18 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

George wrote:
this failing model just as its disintegration begins in Europe.

I think this is of the order of beliefs, George.

And you know how I hold beliefs in low-esteem..

(ok, we are doomed Twisted Evil )

I recognize your skepticism and acknowledge that the real world is far more complex than the often simplistic models we use to analyze and "understand" its workings. However, the retrospective analysis of history, distant and recent, does permit us to deduce cause and effect, particularly in economic matters, with some accuracy. Predictions of the future are far more problematic, precisely because of the complexity and non-linear character of the dynamics. Indeed that's why I put little stock in one of the most fashionable of contemporary beliefs - the religion of environmentalism and global warming.

However, the combination of relatively slow long-term economic growth; rapidly ageing and even declining populations; together with already high taxes and deficits required to finance expansive social programs; with electorates unwilling to tolerate changes and a political class even less willing to challenge them -- does not appear to leave anyone with a way out of an eventual crisis. This has already happened in Greece : Portugal & Spain could be next.

In terms of demographics and recent economic trends, France is in much better shape than most European countries. Recent data shows the populations of Germany, Italy, Poland, Hungary,Romania, the Czech Republic and Slovenia are all declining, and Spain, Belgium and Slovakia aren't far behind. The ratios of the population cadres under age 15 to those over 65 paints an even grimmer picture. The ratio is 1.58 in the U.S. and 0.98 in the EU overall - Gerrmany & Italy are at 0.67. France is an EU leader at 1.13. The median age in Germany & Italy is 7 years greater than that in the US and 4.5 years greater than that in France. The median age in Greece is only 2 years less than that in Germany or Italy.

We really are all doomed, just as the earth will one day be consumed by an expanding red giant sun. However, until then we will live.
spendius

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 05:03 pm
@georgeob1,
I hope it goes down well in the Yacht Club George. It makes me titter alarmingly.

Do you not know that our greatest asset is our flexibility. Especially in the UK where we don't have one of those silly written constitution thingies that the clever dicks have all got stuck around their theoretical necks.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 08:52 pm
Quote:
As the European Union and the I.M.F. debate the politics of Greece’s laying off civil servants or persuading its doctors to pay income tax, it is becoming apparent that the international community may need to come up with a much larger sum to backstop not just Greece, but also Portugal and Spain.

“The number would be huge,” said Piero Ghezzi, an economist at Barclays Capital. “Ninety billion euros for Greece, 40 billion for Portugal and 350 billion for Spain " now we are talking real money.”

Mr. Rogoff says that the I.M.F. could commit as much as $200 billion to aid Greece, Portugal and Spain, but acknowledges that sum alone would not be enough.

In fact, analysts at Goldman Sachs suggest that Greece will need 150 billion euros over a three-year period.

What a growing number of investors suggest is really needed is a “shock and awe” figure, enough to convince the markets that peripheral European economies will not be left to fail " something similar to the Bush administration’s decision to provide $700 billion to shore up America’s financial institutions in the peak of the 2008 crisis.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/28/business/global/28euro.html?hp

WOW, so the Germans and the French now face the choice of coming up with big money to hand over to the rest of Europe, or else let the Euro die..and maybe the EU with it. This is not good.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 08:55 pm
HE wrote:
so the Germans and the French now face the choice of coming up with big money to hand over to the rest of Europe, or else let the Euro die..and maybe the EU with it.

Unfounded opinion, neither is gonna happen...