Is Greece going to set off the long feared next wave of the Great Recession?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 12:43 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me to find that the real reason for the referendum is he finds he has painted himself into a corner and doesn't know what to do next.
My guess as well.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 01:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me to find that the real reason for the referendum is he finds he has painted himself into a corner and doesn't know what to do next.
My guess as well.

Because he is a greek he has to be a rube,,,,,right?

could be, but at this point I am not going to put any money on it.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 02:06 pm
So the ECB turned off the taps, and the Central bank of Greece appears to not have the funds to open the banks. Does the government now try to sell the idea of a withdraw from the Euro? Are they working in secret to get a new currency ready? The government cant close the banks for more than a week, and they need to have the people believing that they have a plan. The government cant wait till the 6th to tell the people what the plan is, they have at most 48 hours before all hell breaks loose.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 02:23 pm
It will be very interesting to observe what unfolds in Greece over the next ten days or so until the results of the forthcoming referendum are known.

In what has become a familiar pattern of possibly deliberate confusion, Varoufakis has denied any plan to close banks or impose capital controls, or even any possibility of Greece being forced out of the EUro Zone. In keeping with this pattern, and also as predicted, Greek PM Tsipras has indicated that both bank closures and capital controls (details of which have not yet been released) will occur.

Some published poll data suggests the referendum any well yield a preference for the deal offered by the EU & IMF. There's a lot going on in Greek financial markets right now, and in such circumstances opinions and politics can change rapidly. Hard to predict the outcome.

A pro EU vote in the referendum could well provide Tsipiras the excuse and cover he appears to be seeking for accepting the EU terms. If this is the outcome, and if the Syriza coalition government manages to remain in power, this could portend continuing headaches for the EU & IMF leaders as they deal with the continuing goading and irresponsible challenges from Varoufakis & Tsipras. If, on the other hand, the Syriza government falls things could be very different.

My impression is Varoufakis & Tsipras believed they could either intimidate the EU/ECB/IMF leadership or goad them into some foolish or irresponsible retaliation. Happily the EU leadership showed remarkable forebearance, and, so far, the adults appear to be winning the game handily. 'Muti' , in particular, appears to be doing very well.

I expect one likely delayed outcome of all this, together with the ongoing friction with the UK, may be yet another attempt to resolve the political and soverignty issues at the core of the EU. Experience over the last two decades with national referenda and treaty approvals on these matters hasn't been favorable for advocates of a sovereign EU. We shall see...
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 02:25 pm
@hawkeye10,
I had thought that the Greek banking systems debt to the ECB is collateralized, but I am also reading that it is not. Does anyone know?

If this is unsecured debt then the argument for largely walking away from debt by not paying in Euros makes even more sense.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 02:30 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
My impression is Varoufakis & Tsipras believed they could either intimidate the EU/ECB/IMF leadership or goad them into some foolish or irresponsible retaliation. Happily they showed remarkable forebearance, and, so far, the adults appear to be winning the game.

Which is of course an argument that the Greek government is looking towards North Korean tactics in negotiations. Could be, but I am far from sold. I think it is more likely that the game plan here is to get the greece people to where they are willing to leave the Euro, so that the debt problem can get solved once and for all. If I am right we will see the government selling this plan starting within 48 hours. Almost everything this government has done fits the storyline of them ramping up evidence that Europe is not their friends, that they own Europe nothing.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 02:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I had thought that the Greek banking systems debt to the ECB is collateralized, but I am also reading that it is not. Does anyone know?

If this is unsecured debt then the argument for largely walking away from debt by not paying in Euros makes even more sense.

I suspect there is some of both.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 02:44 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
In recent days, as it has become clear that the Syriza government was not going to accept the latest proposal from its creditors, stress and anxiety has, in some cases, turned to outright anger.

“I just can’t believe these guys are willing to torch their own country,” one investor with a large holding of Greek bonds lamented in an email. “They thought this was a game. Now, when the supermarkets run out of food, gas stations run out of gas, hospitals have no medicine, tourists flee, salaries don’t get paid because banks shut — what are they going to do?”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/29/business/dealbook/panic-among-hedge-fund-investors-in-greece.html?_r=0

Again with the theory that the Greeks were trying to out crazy the other side in a game of chicken and lost. I seem to be in a very small minority that is expecting that what we have been seeing is a program to get Greece out of the Euro in order to solve the problems that no one else has been willing to solve for all of these years.

we will know who is right within days.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 02:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Again with the theory that the Greeks were trying to out crazy the other side in a game of chicken and lost. I seem to be in a very small minority that is expecting that what we have been seeing is a program to get Greece out of the Euro in order to solve the problems that no one else has been willing to solve for all of these years.

we will know who is right within days.

You appear to believe that if Greece gets out of the EUROZONE they will be able to solve their chronic financial problems - problems which long predated the EURO. I see no indication that this is a realistic possibility, particularly at the hands of the gang running the show there now. They may well believe something like that, but the actual prospect is , sadly, very laughable. A seriously dysfunctional version of Argentina (but without exportable resources or products) is more likely.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 03:11 pm
@georgeob1,
A nation that does not want to work will always be in financial trouble, and the fools who lend to them will always end up taking a fall. This does not negate the fact that walking away from the debts they owe Europe now will happen eventually one way or another, and that they will be better off doing it now rather than playing Germanys game any longer.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 03:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
The Greeks may cast off their debt, but they will also retain the bad habits that created the debt, missing an excellent (and rare) opportunity to learn and institute some important economic lessons. In the long term that is the significant thing.

This strategy hasn't worked very well for Argentina since the 1930s .

In what way is the EU approach "Germany's game" ? Germany certainly benefits from a common currency with neighbors to which it exports so much. However, at the same time it provides a strong economic anchor for the rest of Europe = something the French and Italians can't say.
Foofie

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 03:51 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

In what way is the EU approach "Germany's game" ? Germany certainly benefits from a common currency with neighbors to which it exports so much. However, at the same time it provides a strong economic anchor for the rest of Europe = something the French and Italians can't say.

Just my two cents. There are Europeans that I believe resent Germany's position of hegemony in the EU. Perhaps, it has something to do with the belief that Germans collectively still feel like uber menchen? So, even if there are no ulterior motives by Germany to use capitalism to spread a hegemonic sphere of influence, rather than bullets, a la WWII, some people might not believe it. Sort of like the old saying that a leopard doesn't change its spots.

In effect, while the media and the culture have people believing that Jews collectively are the main group that have a sore spot relative to Germany, there are many other Europeans that seem to have that sore spot for Germany, I believe. That might be the dirty little secret, so to speak. I won't expect you to agree with me.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 05:53 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
The Greeks may cast off their debt, but they will also retain the bad habits that created the debt, missing an excellent (and rare) opportunity to learn and institute some important economic lessons. In the long term that is the significant thing.

the greeks are the only ones who can reform themselves, and so far they dont want to. We can however make sure that they live in the standard that their laziness and lack of willingness to pay taxes allows, we can stop lending (which for the most part turns out to be in actuality handing) them money. For all the whining the Greeks are doing about how much their lives suck today they are still living higher on the hog than they should be. If they dont want to reform then **** them, at least we dont have to finance their laziness. Who knows, maybe with enough pain they will decide to do something. The Germans are not wrong about that, but then the Germans were stupid enough to agree to let Greece into the EU and stupid enough to give them a lot of money, so they have their own work to do on themselves. The rest of Europe should be using this opportunity to take inventory of themselves as well. I suspect that the Greeks know damn well that Europe is desperate to avoid doing such a thing, and if this has been a game a chicken a part of is has been the greek bet that the Germans would rather write some more checks then look inward about how they let the Greece problem happen....encouraged it actually by not looking at the books very closely, not enforcing standards, and so on.

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 10:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
In the past, every time the situation has come to a head, Greece has caved. And, in the process, it has transformed itself into little more than a financial slave state mired in an economic depression.

There is no way Greece will ever be able to cut its way to prosperity, Krugman argues. And history suggests that any argument to the contrary is crazy.

Given that Europe refuses to restructure Greece's debt in a sustainable way and allow the country to try to grow its way out of its misery, Greece has no choice but to default and withdraw.

Krugman further notes that Greece's leader, Alexis Tsipras, is doing something else smart. Namely, he's not making the decision single-handedly. Rather, he is forcing his own government and people to make the decision with him, via a referendum. This will improve Tsipras' own odds of surviving the messy and scary period to come.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/krugman-europe-greece-2015-6#ixzz3eQFspXrJ

They cant grow themselves out of misery because they are lazy and consider cheating the taxman to be an obligation, but he is correct that it is time to go. Letting the people decide is also right as I have said before.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2015 10:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
PARIS (AFP) - Former International Monetary Fund (IMF) chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn broke his silence on the Greek debt crisis on Saturday, calling for Athens' creditors to accept a temporary suspension of payments. .
The former French finance minister made the suggestion in a three-page declaration titled "On learning from one's mistakes", posted on his Twitter page Saturday as Greece teetered on the brink of default.

"My proposal is the following: Greece should get no more new financing from the EU or the IMF but it should get a generous maturity extension and significant nominal debt reduction from the official sector," Strauss-Kahn wrote.

- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/business/economy/story/ex-imf-chief-strauss-kahn-suggests-temporary-halt-greek-debt-payments-20#sthash.tz8oC5Jy.dpuf

The Germans will never allow it.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 12:04 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
That’s the thing. Mass withdrawals would mean either that the ECB has to cave and provide the aid necessary. Or, the Greek government would: and the only way they could do that is without using the euro, ie, they’d have to issue a new currency to do it.

The real point here is that it’s not just those governmental negotiations that matter. The liquidity of the Greek banks provides another ticking clock that everyone has to be aware of. And how loudly and how fast that ticks is in the hands of the population, the depositors, not those governments.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2015/05/30/greek-bank-run-continues-greek-domestic-deposits-lowest-in-decade/

Which is why I am reading that the ECB turning off the taps before they had to is blackmail. That the government is limited withdrawals to 60 euro a days show how little money remains, during this bank run withdrawals of a billion a day have been seen, and sat 600 million was taken out through atms, which has limits of 600-700 a day.

Did this sly fox just goad the the Europeans into being heartless pricks (that call to referendum boy...) , and now he goes to the people and says " this is what we are dealing with, these people dont care about us, we have to leave, and we get to shaft them for a few hundred billion Euros on the way out which will feel GREAT!". Shades Osama Bin Laden right there, and it sure worked for Osama, provoking an ill advised massive retaliation.

Near as I can figure greece owes the ECB something like 125 billion euro, and the only collateral on file is about 30 billion euros of Greek government bonds, which look to be worthless within days. Is Merkel really going to look at the voters with that bill in her hand? The Germans have been acting like they have all the power, like greece must and will do as they are told.

Not so fast.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 12:41 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
The Bruegal Institute in Brussels is not the only thinktank to believe the estimated €250bn cost of a Grexit, while covered by the bailout funds, would cripple the eurozone and delay recovery for a decade.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jan/21/eurozone-exit-greek-grexit-germany-france

And this was around the first of the year, before they ran up something around 90 billion in ECB ELA handouts, which the Europeans (germany) will have to pay for if the Greeks dont. I think the idea that GREXIT would only cost Berlin 77 billion is very no realistic. Damage to the Euro alone could cost that much, a subject that I noticed the Greeks bringing up last we when they were daring the germans to turn the screws again.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jan/21/eurozone-exit-greek-grexit-germany-france
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 12:44 am
@hawkeye10,
Another thing, could demanding a new round of WW2 reparations for NAZI atrocities be anything other than a poke in the Eye of Berlin?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 08:15 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

In effect, while the media and the culture have people believing that Jews collectively are the main group that have a sore spot relative to Germany, there are many other Europeans that seem to have that sore spot for Germany, I believe. That might be the dirty little secret, so to speak. I won't expect you to agree with me.

Actually I do agree with you, though I also think the situation involves a few more complexities than those you listed. No one really likes a winner. Envy is a basic human trait, and the Germans have managed to create a Europeam sosial welfare state that works well economically: none of their neighbors have managed to do that. I suspect Italy and France figure most prominently in this aspect of things, while the Finns and the Dutch appear more comfortable.Hungary and Romania have many historical tangles to work out, most long forgotten by the rest of the world. I suspect the Poles see the Germans as a useful friend when they look East.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 10:37 am
Here is one Nobel Prize Economist who is convinced that we are not looking at a sly move to get greece out of the Euro, but rather gross economic mismanagement.
http://www.dw.com/en/nobel-economist-urges-greeks-vote-yes-in-the-referendum/a-18547796