UK Holds 1st Ever American Style Election Debates

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 04:41 am
United Kingdom General Election
For the first time ever, British candidates import American-style democratic theatrics. (10:40)

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-april-21-2010/united-kingdom-general-election

Includes the great irreverent line by Jon Stewart, "What it feels like to be Canada!"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,742 • Replies: 3
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 06:39 am
can't watch the video in canada (have to navigate the comedy network site, and i hate doing that), so i'm not sure the context of the canada remark, but we've had televised debates for a while in canada

"Canadian leaders debates are leaders debates televised during federal elections in Canada, made up of two debates, one in French and one in English, usually held on back-to-back nights. The first time these debates were held was during the 1968 election."

Britons at last get a taste of Canadian election debates
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/britons-at-last-get-a-taste-of-canadian-election-debates/article1525164/?cid=art-rail-politics
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 08:11 am
Do the Brits want this?

T
K
O
djjd62

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 08:16 am
@Diest TKO,
i don't see why anyone wouldn't want it, i love watching televised debates, well actually i love watching the american televised debates (i could care less about what my leaders have to say, i think it's mostly blah, blah, blah) and would have loved to watch the british ones

actually i guess i just like watching politicians i don't know standing around lying about things
0 Replies