Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 08:57 pm
I get a lot of gallery news type emails, and just had the pleasure of seeing a teacher of mine having a new show at FIG gallery. Several of my teachers show there, as it happens.

I forget which class I took from him for sure, but I think it was advanced drawing. That was the time I was going through hell on wheels with my mother and alzheimers and struggled to show up. I got a B, I think, which was probably generous. I remember talking with him about the whys of my lack that quarter.
Good man.

FIG
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,365 • Replies: 6
No top replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 09:08 pm
I liked his Judith and Holofernes.

I remember my art teachers. I took Drawing I from the nun who chaired the art department at my undergrad school who seemed to say the names of the male students in quotation marks. She always spoke of "the great Cezanne," and we felt she was in love with him. I heard that she left the convent and married.

I later took Drawing I again at a different school and the teacher was an abstract artist whose subject was orchards while his wife was a realist who painted swimmers. His training was contemporary and hers was classical. They admired each other deeply.

I had three ceramics teachers, one for hand building and one for wheel throwing the same semester. I never learned to throw then. I had another later for wheel throwing and made progress then. She was thinking of giving up ceramics and returning to school to become a therapist. I have a bowl she made and am grateful for it.

Finally, I had a very nice woman for water colors. Her aesthetic principles were completely opposite of mine but I enjoyed her so much that I didn't care. I used yellow to sketch and never put pencil to paper.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 09:20 pm
I'm stymied for posting links, at least so far, for some of my teachers, as I don't subscribe to art sites that require payment. Anyway, some names:
David Glines - drawing and printmaking. He told me I drew like Ingres, which gave me some hope. Or maybe all my arms were too long..
Sam Amato - god, he was great, I think I took advanced painting with him four or five times - this was all at UCLA extension.
Gordon Nunez - also great, sort of fragile, I wish I could be there and hear him again.
Gordon's wife, whose name will come back to me, just not this minute. Oh, I remember, Jean Barlow. She's the one who taught drawing techniques and took me out of my draw the telephone well kind of box - she upended the trash can and made us draw what happened in five minutes, breaking all those tight sight boundaries. She gave me my first clues about composition. Great teacher.

Great seems to be my common adjective, but all the 'greats' are deserved.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 09:30 pm
@ossobuco,
I forget who taught the class when I took beginning painting, not a person I took a class with later on, so I'm blanking on the name. I had taken lots of drawing classes and was getting to be confident in the playing, was enjoying myself.

so, good grief, I was absolutely terrible as a beginning painter. Words come to mind, like execrable...
Ionus

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 07:10 am
@ossobuco,
I was taught by a man who came to Oz after being a famous painter in Europe. When WWII broke out Mussolini told him he was an officer but he was captured in the desert, brought to a prisoner of war camp here and fell in love with the place. He never managed to sell as much here, but he stayed anyway.

One fellow student who annoyed me was a guy who always painted human refections in silverware, water, that sort of thing and he was brilliant at it. I never saw him paint anything else.
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 07:20 am
@ossobuco,
In recent years Elliot Elgart has been creating artwork on the computer

http://www.artscenecal.com/Announcements/2008/0408/FIG0408.html

every cloud
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:34 am
@oolongteasup,
Thanks for that link, oolongteasup.
0 Replies