That was harder than I thought....

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:29 pm
@Butrflynet,
My link has to do with very primative stoves.. as most primitive stoves have troubling problems, besides getting the fuel.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:33 pm
@ossobuco,
I thought he was saying we were getting too technical in the description of onion soup preparation.

Whatever... Smile
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:42 pm
@Butrflynet,
Not sure it would help. When Ionus mentions muzzle velocity as an important specification I'm not really sure what he's cooking.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:46 pm
@Butrflynet,
That was a great video, Butrflynet. Thank you!

I had to laugh -- the recipe I'm using called for both beef and chicken stock and, if you read the comments you'll see that many people questioned using chicken stock.

Same with the wine -- lots of people were using reds and reds seem right with beef stock. I used sherry since I'm going to use some chicken stock too.

I'm not sure how I'm going to handle melting cheese in the broiler as all I have is Corningware soup bowls and you're not supposed to use them in the broiler.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:51 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
I'm not sure how I'm going to handle melting cheese in the broiler as all I have is Corningware soup bowls and you're not supposed to use them in the broiler.
you make croƻtons out of French bread (and use olive oil!) then spread them close set on a baking sheet, cover with shredded cheese, then melt in the oven. Cut the mass into something that will fit in the bowl, and float it over the soup. The bowls never get heated.

Not prefect, but if you are fast with the cheese and get it over the soup when it is still bubbling it will look almost perfect even though you cheated.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:52 pm
@boomerang,
Maybe a double boiler, then? A little pan with the cheese, floating in a larger pan of boiling water makes a fair improvised double boiler. Don't know the melting point of cheese, though.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:59 pm
@roger,
Good grief, french onion soup is f.n easy and involves the opposite of burning onions. She says, snottily. Not some cheese or toast float.

It's the onions.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 08:11 pm
@ossobuco,
it is all about cooking the right onions slowly, but without the cheese and bread it is not dressed and ready to go.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 08:15 pm
Yeah, I'm with hawkeye.

The onions are important.

But so is the broth. And the seasoning. And the bread. And especially the cheese.

All the flavors working together is what makes FOS, FOS.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 08:18 pm
@boomerang,
Em? tell me all about it when you cook it well. Nothing matters but the onions. The rest is theater.
dlowan

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 08:28 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Sure. Want my recipe for sloppy joe/spaghetti sauce?

Is that what sloppy joe is?
boomerang

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 09:26 pm
@ossobuco,
I still disagree.

It's the contrast of texture and flavor that make it insanely good.

Savory peanut butter and sweet jelly.

Salty fries and sweet catsup.

Sweet onions and tart cheese.

They're each okay on their own but in combination..... wow.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 09:34 pm
@boomerang,
Let me know when you cook the onions well.

I know I sound snotty, but it matters.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 09:41 pm
@ossobuco,
Really boom, don't lambast me as not understanding texture and flavor..
Just cook onions again.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 09:46 pm
I'm not lambasting you, osso. I'm sorry if you felt that way.

I've worked really hard on this recipe and think I've cooked the onions good so I'm not sure where you're coming from.
Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 09:47 pm
@dlowan,
Roger was displaying his wry wit. Sloppy Joe's and spaghetti sauce are not similar. Sloppy Joe's resembled bar-b-qued meat--whether pork, beef or chicken--as far as the sauce is concerned. However, in the case of sloppy Joe's, the sauce is used with loose ground beef--hamburger meat, basically--and served on a bun. Think of a bar-b-que sauce with ground beef.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 09:50 pm
@boomerang,
I'm from almost any french recipe re onion soup. You've tried this once?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 09:56 pm
Really, do the onions well and the rest is natural. ******* up the onions and adding this and that will not fix it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 09:58 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes, I tried this once a few days ago. The onions burned. I adjusted my method and they didn't burn, but they were a bit "saucy".

I'm usually very good at following recipies so I was getting crazy because "this was harder than I thought" it would be.

Right now the onions are cooked. The beef stock is cooked. The chicken stock is cooked. It's all waiting to be put together so there is still time for something to go wrong.

I have some excellent bread, and some great guyere and parmesean cheese in the fridge.

Tomorrow is Mr. B's birthday and I'm trying to make a nice meal that includes FOS as a starter. Making it was harder than I thought it would be.

This wasn't supposed to be a thread about FOS.

FOS was my issue.

I enjoyed reading about other's FOS mishaps.

But now it's just ******* boring and stupid.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 10:27 pm
@boomerang,
Oh, look, thumbs.

Go ahead, boom, and I suppose you have. Me, I continually mess up.

On onions, lots of recipes call for very slightly burned.
0 Replies