That was harder than I thought....

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 08:55 pm
French onion soup -- harder than I thought.

I've really had a craving for FOS so I decided to make some. I had some beef bones so I made a stock. Easy. Then it was time to start the onions.

I found a recipe that allowed you to start carmelizing the onions in the oven without the constant stirring -- sounded great. (http://www.cookography.com/2008/the-best-french-onion-soup-ever)

Round one: the onions burned.

Round two: all the liquid didn't cook off as it should have.

It seems I don't really know what "slightly ajar" means.

I think round two will turn out okay. I'm planning on finishing up on Friday. That will mean it took me a total of 5 days to make a pot of soup.

French onion soup is a lot harder than I thought.

What has been a lot harder than you thought?

dyslexia

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 08:59 pm
@boomerang,
kissing a chicken on the lips.
boomerang

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 09:00 pm
@dyslexia,
I don't think I want to know......
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 11:22 pm
changing out the plugs on my old 95 GMC Vandura van.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 11:52 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
kissing a chicken on the lips.
Yeeeewwwww.....Sylexadic ! I never kiss them first...always after....never before....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 12:02 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Actually, exactly that. A friend of mine had a copy of The New York Times Cookbook, and we decided we'd like to try to make "French onion soup." Well, we found that, and it called for a certain amount of brown sauce. So, we turned to the page on which they tell you how to make brown sauce. The recipe began with "seven pounds of cracked veal bones." We looked at each other, and i went out to the kitchen to start peeling potatoes for my excellent potato soup.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 02:31 am
@boomerang,
Making the TOAST for my French Onion Soup.

I have several times made it for large (14 or so people) dinner parties....and burned round after round of the toast that goes in in...with attendant fire alarms and all!
dadpad

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 03:26 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Making the TOAST for my French Onion Soup.

Croutons NOT toast. Sounds like you had an extreem crout.
dlowan

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 03:47 am
@dadpad,
In MY recipe, you pop cheesed toast on top of the soup, then grill it under the griller.

It is delicious as it blends with the onion soup.

Many recipes call for this!
dadpad

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 03:51 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

In MY recipe, you pop cheesed toast on top of the soup, then grill it under the griller.

It is delicious as it blends with the onion soup.

Many recipes call for this!

This is FRENCH onion soup.... ergo frommaged croutons. no crouts, no french got it?
dlowan

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 04:32 am
@dadpad,
It's YOUR French onion soup. I have no recipes for it that have croutons.

Which is fine by me...I hate croutons.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:16 am
I think dys and hawkeye need to try making some french onion soup!

I wish the recipe I'd found started out like that, Set. I probably would have never tried to make it.

Ahhhh, the toast v. crouton debate. I've always had it served with bread but I don't know if it was toasted as it always seemed too soggy for my tastes. I usually plop it off to the side and just dip bread in the broth. I might be willing to try croutons....
djjd62

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:22 am
luckily i don't like french onion soup
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:31 am
Harder? Trying to get Chrome to work on this computer.

Joe(It was bizarre experience.)Nation
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:34 am
@boomerang,
chicken segue===when I was with the child-protection team we had a staff member (a 40ish old lady from Brooklyn) who was was being questioned about evidence against the defendant in a particularly horrendous child abuse cast. She responded to the attorney and the judge, "the chicken-****** admitted everything" the courtroom got very quite and the defendant changed his plea to guilty.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 08:02 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Or at least harder than it should have been.....

Dealing with AT&T, AT&T Uverse, or whatever other names they go by.

I have literally broken down in tears on more than one occassion, while on the phone with one of the umpteenth people I have had to speak to regarding a simple matter like....um...I'm not even going to get into it.

Anyone connected to this fucked up monster should all burn in hell.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 08:11 am
@chai2,
Yeah, I tried Uverse for about six months. Never, in those six months, was my bill correct. Every month, call, explain the problem, wait, get some non-sense answer, and they can't credit your account, they have to find some promotional code they can add that will credit the right amount.

I canceled, because I couldn't take the aggravation.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 08:25 am
Wow, you two. Thanks for the warning.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 08:32 am
@boomerang,
This is what I suggest - either buy onion soup (the kind that is made in the grocery store over the canned type) or buy one particially made like the box kind with low salt.

learned a similar thing the hard way. My daughter was supposed to make a recipe from a country she wrote a report on - she decided on this dessert item that seemed simple enough (it was a custard like thing with mergue on top) - I made it from scratch and followed the recipe to a "T" - the custard didn't thicken for me. Even though it wasn't exactly a custard, I went out and bought a packaged custard mix, made the mergue part by scratch and everyone thought it was yummy.
boomerang

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 08:42 am
@Linkat,
Cheater!

Heeheehee.

There is a restaurant here that makes wonderful FOS. Next time I get a craving I'm just driving over becuase now I understand why it is so expensive.