Ionus

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 08:11 pm
@plainoldme,
You read the adds ????
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 08:18 pm
@plainoldme,
I can tune out the ads. So, mostly, I don't know what they are about.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 08:19 pm
@plainoldme,
On occasion I have been annoyed by the blatant conservomitative ads attached to the political threads here at a2k.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 08:27 pm
There was one featuring America's most notable peroxide user Ann Coulter with a banner that said, "Ann Coulter free."

My first thought was most hookers work for money.

My second took me back to 1969 or 1970 . . . to some turkey named David something or other . . . arrested for draft resistance of some kind. He wrote a column for the Detroit Free Press during his term in Jackson Prison. Someone had written, "Free David . . ." and his last name on the wall of a woman's bathroom at Wayne State University. Most of the left-wingers laughed at the guy for having an authoritarian personality. One of them must have been the author of the retort under the Free David slogan. It read, "with every fill up of gasoline."
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 08:30 pm
@plainoldme,
I use an ad blocker and don't see any of the ads. Life is much better that way.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 08:33 pm
David Harris
Harris was born in Fresno, California. After graduating from Fresno High School as "Boy of the Year" in 1963,[1] Harris enrolled in Stanford University. He soon became involved in the Civil Rights movement, travelling through the Deep South to join other students in the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee's Freedom Summer voter registration campaign in Mississippi. In 1966, he was elected student body president at Stanford, serving a one-year term. As a counter-protest, David's head was shaved by a gang of masked members of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity that had many football players as members and apparently a pro-war outlook.[2]

The following year, he founded an organization called the Resistance, which persuaded young men of draft age to refuse to be drafted and to work together against the Vietnam War. Within a few years, the Selective Service System discovered, to its dismay, that only about half of the men sent draft notices actually showed up for their draft physicals. In due course, Harris received his draft notice, and chose neither to report, nor to flee to Canada, as many other draft resistors had done. Eventually, Harris was arrested and convicted of draft evasion, a federal felony. He was sentenced to a term in Federal Prison: he served about 15 months in various minimum-to-medium-security prisons; he was released on parole in October 1970. After his release, he gave talks about the experience; he said: "In prison, I lost my ideals, but not my principles."

From 1968 through 1973, Harris was married to singer and activist Joan Baez. Baez related the amusing story of his arrest to the audience during one of her performances at the Woodstock Festival, in which, while Harris was being arrested, anti-Vietnam-War protestors were pasting a "resist the draft" bumper sticker on the police car. Imprisonment didn't improve the marriage; after Harris returned, they decided that both had changed in ways that made them incompatible and filed for divorce. Harris and Baez had one son together, Gabriel Harris[3], born in December 1969. Gabriel attended the private Peninsula School, which his mother had attended before him as well. Gabriel and his mother also both attended public schools in the Palo Alto area.

In 1975, Harris ran as a Democrat for a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives from a district that included the northern part of Silicon Valley. He was not elected.

Harris was married to author and New York Times reporter Lacey Fosburgh from 1975 until her death in 1993. Harris and Fosburgh had one daughter together, Sophie Harris.

At Stanford, Harris was a protégé of Allard K. Lowenstein, a political organizer and later one-term Democratic congressman from New York. In March 1980, Lowenstein was shot to death by Harris's onetime friend Dennis Sweeney, another Lowenstein protegé. Two years later, Harris wrote the book Dreams Die Hard about his experiences throughout the 1960s and 1970s with Lowenstein and Sweeney and about the events leading up to the shooting. He has written several other books, as well as many articles for the Rolling Stone, the New York Times Magazine and other periodicals.

On October 27, 2004, Harris published a new book which draws on rare interviews with American, Iranian, and European participants in the 1979 Iranian hostage crisis, called The Crisis: The President, the Prophet, and the Shah - 1979 and the Coming of Militant Islam. In it, Harris tells the story of the 444 days from an insider's perspective.

In October 2009, Harris appeared on the PBS-produced documentary on Baez, How Sweet the Sound, in which he reunited on camera with his former wife to reminisce about their years together, his arrest and the birth of their son Gabriel.

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 08:34 pm
@edgarblythe,

Love this song...
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 08:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
David Harris was not the David arrested in Michigan.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 08:39 pm
@Butrflynet,
So, how does one find and use an ad blocker?
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 08:41 pm
@plainoldme,
If you are using Firefox, it is one of the add ons available under the Tools menu. Don't know what the other browsers are using these days. Am out of the loop.
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 01:44 am
@plainoldme,
i only come here for the ads
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 04:27 am
@oolongteasup,
Here's an early birthday gift for your enjoyment then:
http://ebooks-imgs.connect.com/ebooks/product/400/000/000/000/000/050/653/400000000000000050653_s4.jpg
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 12:57 pm
@plainoldme,
Tell me plainoldme, do these signs cause you to foam at the mouth when you see them?

http://www.trafficsign.us/650/reg/r10-17a.gif

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c3/Right.svg/560px-Right.svg.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/da/Straight_or_right.svg/480px-Straight_or_right.svg.png
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 03:32 pm
@plainoldme,
I never see any ads.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 04:56 pm
@plainoldme,
Posts like this only serve to make them appear more frequently. You're shooting yourself in the foot.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 05:08 pm
Ads? There are ads?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 05:15 pm
I get ads. I mostly don't mind them, they are at a tolerable level, and ads have some interest to me, re the mechanics/graphics of them, and I figure they help the site keep going. I haven't really perceived bias re politics, figure they may be connected to posts - or maybe not. I may have clicked on a few on purpose, out of curiosity re the product.

I got pretty tired of one particular well boobed woman whose presence was ubiquitous for a while. I was freaked about a banner of spiders a few years ago.

If there is a cockroach ad, then I'll start a thread on "NOW I'm leaving".

Uh oh. Hope that doesn't cause them.
maporsche

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 05:36 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
If there is a cockroach ad, then I'll start a thread on "NOW I'm leaving".

Uh oh. Hope that doesn't cause them.

Dammit ossobuco, not you've done it. I see an ad for IRS Tax Return software on my screen now. ******* cockroaches.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 07:38 pm
There are no ads now. I wish it was because I complained about them that they disappeared from my screen. . . they do tend to appear when the thread is particularly liberal.