Dr. Who Primer for the Uneducated and Culturally Ignorant!

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 02:22 pm
Quote:
Primer is The A.V. Club’s ongoing series of beginners’ guides to pop culture’s most notable subjects: filmmakers, music styles, literary genres, and whatever else interests us"and hopefully you. This week: The rise and fall and rise again of Britain’s venerable science-fiction series Doctor Who.

Doctor Who 101
An icon of modern British culture and the longest-running science-fiction TV show in history, Doctor Who has never been more popular than it is today, thanks to producer Russell T. Davies, whose revitalization of the series returns this month under the aegis of new producer Steven Moffatt. Matt Smith, taking over the title role from David Tennant, will become the 11th actor to officially play the time-traveling wanderer.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/doctor-who,39924/
My favorite top 3 Doctors:
1. http://www.the-medium-is-not-enough.com/images/DoctorWhoCE.jpg;
2. http://ohbitchyouareobituaries.today.com/files/2009/01/david-tennant-doctor-who-3.jpg;
3. http://media.avclub.com/images/articles/article/39924/dr-who_M_jpg_595x325_crop_upscale_q85.jpg.

djjd62

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 02:33 pm
always enjoyed reading doctor who more than watching it

read quite a number of books in the late 70's early 80's
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 02:47 pm
@djjd62,
Though I probably should have known better, I never knew Dr. Who came in book form.
djjd62

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 03:31 pm
@tsarstepan,
there are standalone books, and terrence dicks wrote novelizations of the serials from the late 70's early 80's
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 03:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Though I probably should have known better, I never knew Dr. Who came in book form.

Whoa! Shocked

And you're posting a thread on this for the "Uneducated and Culturally Ignorant"? Laughing
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 03:37 pm
@Reyn,
AS a red blooded American, I reserve the right to be a jackass and a monstrous hypocrite! Evil or Very Mad
Reyn

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 03:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
Well, okay then! Wink

If you need any help with the answers, just ask!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 08:25 pm
@tsarstepan,
Tennant was fun for a while, but I found his mannerism grating after a while.

Also, Captain Jack was probably the most interesting character they had, and they went and spun him off into an entirely different series, which I did not watch.

Haven't seen the latest incarnation, yet.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 08:59 pm
@DrewDad,
You should at least watch the 3rd season of Torchwood. I tried to watch some episodes of the first 2 seasons and they were hit and miss but the third season, entitled Children of Earth was effectively creepy as hell and worth the watching of the 6 arcing episodes.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 09:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
rolls eyes
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 09:20 pm
I'm a David Tennant fan....

new Dr turns up this coming weekend, here.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 04:39 am
@tsarstepan,
You're not a PROPER Usian, are you?

Isn't the good Doctor and all his doings a non-US "thing"?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 04:42 am
@dlowan,
I have more then one identity. I am also an Anglophile. Long live the Doctor! Long live the institutions that are the British murder mystery and cop dramas!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 04:43 am
@tsarstepan,
It WAS creepy!!!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 05:01 am
@dlowan,
some interesting reading

i was looking for information on a segment called After The Doctor (that's how i remember it), i think the bolded section is what i remember

The Beginning

Doctor Who had an early Canadian connection. The series was conceived by Canadian expatriate Sydney Newman while he was the BBC's Head of Drama. The series may have been inspired by a short-lived segment (canceled because parents complained that it was "too frightening" for their children) on the Canadian version of Howdy Doody. It featured a surprisingly similar character, a puppet called Mr. X who traveled through time and space in his "Whatsis Box" teaching children about history. Newman oversaw this series while working as a programming head for the CBC. Newman maintained a guiding influence over Doctor Who until he left the BBC in 1967.
The series made its North American premiere in January 1965 on CBC with the broadcast of William Hartnell's first 26 episodes, fourteen months following their first airing on the BBC. The CBC did not renew the program and it would not reappear on the network for 40 years.

The 1970s: Doctor Who comes to the United States

The BBC series was originally sold to television stations in the United States in 1972, with Time-Life Television syndicating selected episodes of Jon Pertwee's time as the Doctor. Unfortunately, the series did not do well, despite an interesting write-up some years earlier in TV Guide. Apparently, program directors of the commercial television stations that picked up the Jon Pertwee series did not know that the program was an episodic serial, and so it was constantly being shuffled about in the programming schedules.
In 1977, Tom Baker's first four seasons as the Doctor were sold to PBS stations across the United States. At least five commercial stations (WOR in New York, WSBK-TV in Boston, KUHT in Houston, WTVQ in Lexington, KY and WVEC in Norfolk, VA) also aired the show for a few years. This time, though, Time-Life was ready to have the Doctor poised for American consumption, by having stage and screen actor Howard Da Silva read voiceover commentaries and teasers for the next episode which would inform the viewer as to what was going on. To accommodate the teasers (which were made out of clips from the next episode), up to three minutes of original material was cut from each episode. Originally mistaken for a British comedy (along the lines of Doctor in the House, Good Neighbors, Benny Hill, and Monty Python), PBS program planners took the show at face value, but it soon achieved cult status.

Return to Canada: TVOntario

In Canada, TVO aired the program starting in 1976 with The Three Doctors and continued with the rest of the original series on a weekly basis until 1991 with series airing two to three years behind the BBC. TVO was also available to many viewers in the United States living in states bordering the Great Lakes. In order to fulfill the network's mandate as an educational broadcaster, TVO's transmissions of the Third Doctor's stories were hosted by Dr. Jim Dator while the first season of Fourth Doctor stories were hosted by science fiction writer Judith Merril, who called herself the "UnDoctor". Both hosts would fill out the show's half-hour time slot introducing each new episode and, afterwards, discussing it critically for several minutes often explaining how a story was at variance with scientific concepts or how it related to science fiction genres.
Reyn

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 07:50 am
@djjd62,
Hey, did someone call me? Wink

DJ, do you happen to know if the CBC will be carrying this new Doctor Who series (like they've done in the past)? I have seen no ads for it.

I did see an ad that the Space channel (which I don't get) will be doing so.
djjd62

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 07:56 am
@Reyn,
not sure, i haven't watched dr. who since the good old days (i did manage to get a copy of the torchwood children of earth but haven't watched it yet)
Reyn

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 11:03 am
@djjd62,
Oh, okay. So, you're kinda out of the loop. Laughing
djjd62

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 11:08 am
@Reyn,
about thirty years out of the loop
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 04:30 pm
Elisabeth Sladen AKA Sarah Jane passed away today. Sad
http://www.wired.com/geekdad/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/324938044.534081.jpg
http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/04/elisabeth-sladen-doctor-whos-sarah-jane-smith-has-passed-away/