OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 02:16 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

In checking your links, I encountered this:

76-year-old man with Parkinson's opens fire on home invader

This is my point. I easily found eight links showing misuse of guns. If I wanted to take the time to link to them, I had 20 more. You can say wait for the court appearance, but when a 70 year old pulls a gun on someone who passes him or someone draws on a cyclist who he has a road dispute with, it's going to be hard to show that the gun use was appropriate. You present one counter article. That doesn't balance the scales.

My point is not that guns won't on occasion prevent a crime from occurring, I believe it will. My point is that human nature being what it is, there will be more cases of people who would otherwise just get mad and frustrated deciding on the spur of the moment that they can resolve the issue by pulling that gun. Mad that someone flipped you off - show them your gun! I'm not saying you would do such things or that you condone them, but I don't think you can determine who will freak out in an emotional situation and ship them out of the country. The end result is that people in aggregate are less safe in a well armed population. That 76 year old with Parkinsons was more safe, but that cyclist was not. Rather than just throw that idea out there, I went looking for data and I think I found it. I found far more articles than I expected to find even when restricting my search to stuff published last week.
Engineer, u are ignoring the evidence:
I pointed out that your theory is DISPROVEN
by the experience of the US Army, (probably by other armies also)
by police forces and by the citizens of Vermont none of whom
have histories of the rage that u alleged and speculate about,
but u have said nothing about my counterargument, Engineer.

There collective experience disproves your theory.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 02:27 pm
@OmSigDAVID,

ERRATUM:

"There collective experience disproves your theory."

Obviously shoud have been:
Their collective experience disproves your theory.

David
[/quote]
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 02:59 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

I disagree that professional soldiers are representative of the average population both due to their training (+) and age (-), but there are several stories of gun abuse involving soldiers and policemen plus we can find accusations of military personel misconduct with firearms in Iraq and Afganistan without too much effort. When I was in the Navy we would have issues with sailors misusing firearms at a rate of about one to two percent per year. I understand from my brother who was in the Army that the rate was much higher there. I'll have to address the good folks of Vermont sometime this weekend, though if you have some good data concerning their love of guns and lack of violence, please post them.
Thomas

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 03:24 pm
@engineer,
Responding to the initial post, without having read the responses yet:

engineer wrote:
I found hundreds of news articles from newspapers all over the country. I restricted my search to articles posted in the last week and still found too many to read through. Some of the top hits:

1) "Hundreds of articles" does not equal "hundreds of incidents" -- especially on the internet, where each interesting news event is picked up by dozens of newspapers and hundreds of blogs.

2) "Eight cases and counting" sounds like a lot, but it's still just anectdotal evidence in a nation of 300 million. If you specifically search for those things, you will find them. A lot of them.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 03:32 pm
@engineer,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

engineer wrote:
I disagree that professional soldiers
are representative of the average population both due to their training (+) and age (-),
Do u agree about non-professionals? young conscripts, when we had the draft ?

engineer wrote:
but there are several stories of gun abuse
Define abuse? more road rage? I don 't remember hearing of that.

engineer wrote:
I'll have to address the good folks of Vermont sometime this weekend,
though if you have some good data concerning their love of guns and lack of violence, please post them.
Engineers shoud be precise: yes or no ?
I said nothing about emotions.
I said that thay have no gun laws (since 1791 and before)
and that their crime rate is consistently very low. (FBI statistics)

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 03:36 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
Responding to the initial post, without having read the responses yet:

engineer wrote:
I found hundreds of news articles from newspapers all over the country. I restricted my search to articles posted in the last week and still found too many to read through. Some of the top hits:

1) "Hundreds of articles" does not equal "hundreds of incidents" -- especially on the internet,
where each interesting news event is picked up by dozens of newspapers and hundreds of blogs.

2) "Eight cases and counting" sounds like a lot, but it's still just anectdotal evidence in a nation of 300 million.
If you specifically search for those things, you will find them. A lot of them.
GOOD POINTS, Thomas; good logic.
I shoud have discerned that; I 'm not too sharp today.

David
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 04:50 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

1) "Hundreds of articles" does not equal "hundreds of incidents" -- especially on the internet, where each interesting news event is picked up by dozens of newspapers and hundreds of blogs.

My search got 183,000 hits for pages updated in the last week. I went down the first page of results and threw out ones where you could questionably argue there was a self defense component (National guardsman is racing down the road screaming and yelling with another motorist, stops suddenly and gets rear ended, runs into home, grabs rifle and points it at the other motorist who is on the phone with police reporting the accident, for example or the one where a car and a truck end up colliding and the car driver gets out and unloads 13 shots into the truck which is trying to flee), and duplicate articles. My hit rate on page one was around 50%. I would expect it to get worse as I went on, but I'm still going to get hundreds of unique articles. I wasn't planning on posting more articles, but Engineer Surrenders in Road Rage Shooting Case caught my attention. If you can't trust engineers, who can you trust??
Thomas

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 04:58 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
I disagree that professional soldiers are representative of the average population both due to their training (+) and age (-),

Although I generally agree with you that David tends to overstate his case for gun rights, I don't think yours is a particularly good argument to counter him in this case. For one thing, I'm not sure professional soldiers in America get trained in rage control. I certainly wasn't during the 15 months I spent as a draftee in the Bundeswehr. Moreover, young adult males are anthropologically well known as an especially violent demographic in any society. So in this regard, David is actually loading the dice against himself by using soldiers as representatives for the general population.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 05:07 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

the thing is - people using their guns stupidly isn't as "interesting" as stupid people managing to save themselves with their guns in stupid situations

the media likes the old lady who shoots the burglar running away from her house a lot more than it likes the old lady's grandson shooting his brother with the same gun - there will be more hits on each "gritty granny" than "family flame-out" ... the family flameout is comparatively unlikely to make the news - is going to be under-represented, not over-represented
gungasnake

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 05:09 pm
One version of the "flip side of an armed public" is having 50,000 people killed every year by ******* snakes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5314104.stm

Quote:
The Russell's Viper is one of the world's most deadly snakes, and it does most of its killing in India.

At least 20,000 victims a year, mostly agricultural workers, suffer the fatal consequences of its bite - pain, vomiting and dizziness, followed by kidney failure. It's not a nice way to die.

That cannot happen in a nation whose people are armed. The second amendment is an ideas whose time has come, all over the world.
\

Thomas

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 05:17 pm
@engineer,
Don't talk to me about engineers. My apartment's AC has been sucking for years now.

On the point of anectdotal evidence, I think the only way to draw solid conclusions about them is by reading crime statistics and correlating them with the level of gun control. The best study that I know of in this line of research is a publication by the National Academy of Sciences. The reference is Wellford, Pepper, and Petrie (eds): Firearms and Violence: A Critical Review. National Academies Press (2004). The NAS has published it as an open book here. Their bottom line is that the data isn't supporting any solid conclusions either way: Contrary to an earlier much-cited publication by John Lott, they find that more guns don't, in fact, equal less crime. But they also fail to find conclusive evidence that greater gun control leads to less crime.

Given that the best look people have taken at the data fails to support either side, I would caution against any susbstantial increase of gun control. After all, under the constitutions of the US and almost all its states, Americans have the right to keep and bear arms that "shall not be infringed". So let's not infringe it -- unless we know we're endangering other constitutional rights by doing so.
Thomas

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 05:31 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
the thing is - people using their guns stupidly isn't as "interesting" as stupid people managing to save themselves with their guns in stupid situations

That's fine with me. Of course "man bites dog" is a more interesting headline than "dog bites man". If engineer merely wanted to reiterate this long-known point about reporting bias in the media, I agree with him. But from his posts and from the tags on this thread, I'm not getting the sense that this was all he wanted to do.
engineer

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 06:13 pm
@Thomas,
Correct. My thesis here is that possession of a firearm a) produces a false sense of security resulting in potentially bad decision making and b) encourages people who otherwise are not prone to criminal activity to resort to the gun early instead of as a solution of last resort. The 70 year old man who drew on a car who honked at him and passed him would have probably just stewed in his car if he hadn't had a gun. The engineer who was angry that the driver in front of him was on the cell phone would have just driven on, but he was angry and had a handy gun to make his point. Were both of these people momentarily driven to stupidity by anger? Yes, but stupidity and firearms is a bad mix. I think that combination of stupidity and firearms is much more common than the need for lethal self defense.

One thought on using crime statistics: many of the cases I site get pleaded down in court. These people have clean records so it is a first offense, the perpetrator is sorry and the court doesn't perceive a long term threat, so these become misdemeanors. Most of the cases I posted didn't end in injury, some didn't involve gunfire, only the threat of it. A lot of these cases will not show up in felony crime stats.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 06:22 pm
@Thomas,
Have you had an opportunity to read Randolph Roth's American Homicide? I'd be curious to get your take on it.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 06:35 pm
There are some references to Roth's research in this short, interesting piece.

http://www.historycooperative.org/journals/ahr/111.1/monkkonen.html

Quote:
Homicide: Explaining America's Exceptionalism

Quote:
Since at least 1932, American scholars have recognized the differences in homicide rates between the United States and Europe. They have struggled unsuccessfully to explain these differences, which perhaps is why the topic has almost become a non-issue or tautology: the United States, many concluded, is more violent because it is in its nature to be so. For example, Richard Brown, a distinguished scholar of American homicide, states: "it was natural for Americans to react to stress or provocation with violence."

Quote:
Along the way, however, they made a startling discovery: when the time line is stretched back farther, to the Middle Ages, much of Europe also exhibited high rates of homicide. For European scholars, this discovery has raised complex theoretical issues.

Since the nineteenth century, it was assumed that urbanization and industrialization had caused both crime and poverty.

Simply put, the rise of urban and industrial society was seen as causing social disruption, which in turn led to increased deviance, crime, and violence. In his famous 1903 essay on the "Metropolitan Personality," George Simmel argued dramatically that the anonymity of cities and the immiseration of industrialization explained a rise in personal violence"which, it now turns out, did not happen.

The shift from Gemeinschaft to Gesellschaft left Europe with fewer rather than more homicides per capita.

Only the United States has had the social crack-up posited by theory.

The most recent explications of the European data and their theoretical impact can be seen in articles by Manuel Eisner in the British Journal of Criminology and by Helmut Thome in Crime, History & Societies, where the sociology of Max Weber and Norbert Elias looms large in explanatory power
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 08:25 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
One thought on using crime statistics: many of the cases I site get pleaded down in court. These people have clean records so it is a first offense, the perpetrator is sorry and the court doesn't perceive a long term threat, so these become misdemeanors. Most of the cases I posted didn't end in injury, some didn't involve gunfire, only the threat of it. A lot of these cases will not show up in felony crime stats.

That's fine, but you have to make up your mind what you're talking about.

If what you're talking about is small change -- misdemeanors, standoffs where nobody gets hurt, and general stupidity -- why bother minimizing them? Human stupidity is boundless, and will always find some outlet or another.

If, on the other hand, you are worried that this small fry will fester into something serious, then we are talking about stuff that will show up in crime statistics. That's what "serious" means.
Thomas

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 08:26 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Have you had an opportunity to read Randolph Roth's American Homicide? I'd be curious to get your take on it.

No, not yet. I'll check him out, thanks!
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 08:57 pm
@Thomas,
To the woman who was shot in the leg, I think she would say it was serious, but I doubt the guy who did it will receive a felony conviction. I consider having someone pull a gun on you serious even though the courts here often downplay it. When David gets his wish and everyone is armed, these events will evolve into gun battles, but right now, so few people go around armed that the occasional rage case doesn't often result in serious bodily harm. Unfortunately in a couple of articles I sited, that was not the case.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 09:04 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

engineer wrote:
I disagree that professional soldiers are representative of the average population both due to their training (+) and age (-),

Although I generally agree with you that David tends to overstate his case for gun rights, I don't think yours is a particularly good argument to counter him in this case. For one thing, I'm not sure professional soldiers in America get trained in rage control. I certainly wasn't during the 15 months I spent as a draftee in the Bundeswehr. Moreover, young adult males are anthropologically well known as an especially violent demographic in any society. So in this regard, David is actually loading the dice against himself by using soldiers as representatives for the general population.

My understanding is that only certain subsets of soldiers are actually issued firearms at any particular time. Military Police. Soldiers in active combat rotations. Live fire exercises.

So most of the soldiers carrying weapons have a mission.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 09:06 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

One version of the "flip side of an armed public" is having 50,000 people killed every year by ******* snakes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5314104.stm

Quote:
The Russell's Viper is one of the world's most deadly snakes, and it does most of its killing in India.

At least 20,000 victims a year, mostly agricultural workers, suffer the fatal consequences of its bite - pain, vomiting and dizziness, followed by kidney failure. It's not a nice way to die.

That cannot happen in a nation whose people are armed. The second amendment is an ideas whose time has come, all over the world.
\

Yes, because firearms provide protection against snake venom....

Sometimes the mind just boggles at what passes for "logic" in some people.