engineer

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 10:14 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

The overall numbers show that widespread concealed carry does not cause any noticeable increase in homicides, or any other social ills.

The overall numbers when controlled for other variables do show an increase. That was the value of this particular study - it removed much of the noise that we see in uncontrolled data.
oralloy

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 10:28 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
Then explain why the overall number of homicides is more in Texas with widespread conceal carry compared to Illinois which does not have widespread conceal carry.

No idea.

Illinois will have widespread concealed carry soon enough though, as Mr. Gura's current lawsuit is inching its way ever closer to the Supreme Court.
oralloy

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 10:28 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
oralloy wrote:
The overall numbers show that widespread concealed carry does not cause any noticeable increase in homicides, or any other social ills.

The overall numbers when controlled for other variables do show an increase. That was the value of this particular study - it removed much of the noise that we see in uncontrolled data.

That study was about stand your ground, going by the way it's been described here.

It may or may not ultimately turn out to be accurate, but whatever it concludes about "stand your ground" would not apply to "widespread concealed carry", as they are not the same thing.
engineer

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 12:26 pm
@oralloy,
True. The study was about stand your ground laws.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 02:16 pm
http://freedomoutpost.com/
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 03:35 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

parados wrote:
Then explain why the overall number of homicides is more in Texas with widespread conceal carry compared to Illinois which does not have widespread conceal carry.

No idea.

Illinois will have widespread concealed carry soon enough though, as Mr. Gura's current lawsuit is inching its way ever closer to the Supreme Court.

So in other words this statement is meaningless drivel since the overall numbers show the opposite. (Even though I pointed out overall numbers are not a good way to reach any conclusion.)
Quote:
The overall numbers (referring to carrying handguns in general, and not to this new study of "stand your ground") also show that letting people carry guns does not make it any more dangerous. In other words, no difference either way.
oralloy

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 07:55 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
So in other words this statement is meaningless drivel since the overall numbers show the opposite. (Even though I pointed out overall numbers are not a good way to reach any conclusion.)
Quote:
The overall numbers (referring to carrying handguns in general, and not to this new study of "stand your ground") also show that letting people carry guns does not make it any more dangerous. In other words, no difference either way.

No. That statement is factual and accurate. Widespread concealed carry has not been shown to make homicides, or any other social ills, any worse.
parados

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 10:11 pm
@oralloy,
Changing your statement now?
oralloy

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 10:43 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

No. The data is quite clear on the fact that widespread concealed carry does not result in any increase in homicides (or any other social ills).
parados

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 11:51 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

parados wrote:

No. The data is quite clear on the fact that widespread concealed carry does not result in any increase in homicides (or any other social ills).

That is clearly a change in your statement.
oralloy

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 12:47 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
parados wrote:

That is clearly a change in your statement.

Looks the same to me.

I mean, I didn't cut-n-paste my previous words. I typed it all out again, so it might have been worded slightly differently. But the meaning of the sentence should be the same.
0 Replies