Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 10:58 pm
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759
 
roger
 
  1  
Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 11:01 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
He really say that?
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 01:31 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
He really say that?
I have to admit,
that I was not there listening.



http://jpetrie.myweb.uga.edu/poor_richard.html





David
roger
 
  1  
Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 01:39 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Okay, you found a web page. Stuff like that, I usually attribute to some generic, wise old man, but there it is.
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 01:51 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
Okay, you found a web page.
Stuff like that, I usually attribute to some generic, wise old man, but there it is.
Was he a generic, wise old man?
roger
 
  1  
Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 02:25 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Franklin? No, he was well known.
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 02:26 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
Franklin? No, he was well known.
Yeah; people coud check their $100 bills.
0 Replies
 
rosborne979
 
  1  
Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 06:10 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

The United States is not strictly a Democracy. It's a Republic.

Quote:
Writing of the merits of a republican or representative form of government, James Madison observed that one of the most important differences between a democracy and a republic is "the delegation of the government [in a republic] to a small number of citizens elected by the rest." The primary effect of such a scheme, Madison continued, was to:

. . . refine and enlarge the public views by passing them through the medium of a chosen body of citizens whose wisdom may best discern the true interest of their country and whose patriotism and love of justice will be least likely to sacrifice it to temporary or partial considerations. Under such a regulation it may well happen that the public voice, pronounced by the representatives of the people, will be more consonant to the public good than if pronounced by the people themselves, convened for the same purpose (Federalist No. 10).
parados
 
  3  
Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 07:04 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

* Widely attributed to Franklin on the internet, sometimes without the second sentence. It is not found in any of his known writings, and the word "lunch" is not known to have appeared anywhere in english literature until the 1820s, decades after his death. The phrasing itself has a very modern tone and the second sentence especially might not even be as old as the internet. Some of these observations are made in response to a query at Google Answers.


The usual RW fools making up what they think the founders should have said.
OmSigDAVID
 
  0  
Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 08:05 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Quote:
The United States is not strictly a Democracy. It's a Republic.
That 's a fact.

Quote:
Writing of the merits of a republican or representative form of government, James Madison observed that one of the most important differences between a democracy and a republic is "the delegation of the government [in a republic] to a small number of citizens elected by the rest." The primary effect of such a scheme, Madison continued, was to:

. . . refine and enlarge the public views by passing them through the medium of a chosen body of citizens whose wisdom may best discern the true interest of their country and whose patriotism and love of justice will be least likely to sacrifice it to temporary or partial considerations. Under such a regulation it may well happen that the public voice, pronounced by the representatives of the people, will be more consonant to the public good than if pronounced by the people themselves, convened for the same purpose (Federalist No. 10).

OmSigDAVID
 
  0  
Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 08:06 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

* Widely attributed to Franklin on the internet, sometimes without the second sentence. It is not found in any of his known writings, and the word "lunch" is not known to have appeared anywhere in english literature until the 1820s, decades after his death. The phrasing itself has a very modern tone and the second sentence especially might not even be as old as the internet. Some of these observations are made in response to a query at Google Answers.


Quote:
The usual RW fools making up what they think the founders should have said.
On the authority of PARADOS !
rosborne979
 
  0  
Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 08:15 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

rosborne979 wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Quote:
The United States is not strictly a Democracy. It's a Republic.
That 's a fact.


Of course.

How do you think the implications of that fact relate to your original post?
OmSigDAVID
 
  0  
Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 12:41 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

rosborne979 wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Quote:
The United States is not strictly a Democracy. It's a Republic.
That 's a fact.


Of course.

How do you think the implications of that fact relate to your original post?

Y don' t u tell me ?
roger
 
  -1  
Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 01:49 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

On the authority of PARADOS !


You have proven your point, David. It is clearly a legitimate Ben Franklin quote.
0 Replies
 
ehBeth
 
  1  
Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 01:57 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
found in the "misattribution" section of the wikiquote page on B. Franklin

apparent origins - libertarian writer - 1994

Quote:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner." Web searches on these lines uncovers the earliest definite citations for such a statement credit libertarian author James Bovard with a similar one in the Sacramento Bee (1994):


"Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner."


This statement also definitely occurs in the "Conclusion" (p. 333) of his book Lost Rights: The Destruction of American Liberty (1994) ISBN 0312123337


http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin
0 Replies
 
ehBeth
 
  1  
Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 01:58 pm
@roger,
nope
rosborne979
 
  1  
Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 02:45 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

rosborne979 wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

rosborne979 wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Quote:
The United States is not strictly a Democracy. It's a Republic.
That 's a fact.


Of course.

How do you think the implications of that fact relate to your original post?

Y don' t u tell me ?

Because I'm more interested in discerning your ability to read between the lines than I am in the lines themselves.
0 Replies
 
roger
 
  1  
Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 02:50 pm
@ehBeth,
Sounds definative to me!
0 Replies
 
mrskrip
 
  1  
Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 02:45 am
@rosborne979,
and in 252 years we still have learned nothing ..the people we have elected speak for them selves , take very good care of them selves , and have run this country into the ground with there greed ... British rule continues under a different flag ...............
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 12:13 pm
@mrskrip,
mrskrip wrote:
and in 252 years we still have learned nothing ..
the people we have elected speak for them selves, take very good care of them selves,
Of course. That was foreseeable.
The American Revolution's goal was personal liberty NOT altruism.

Greed (not stinginess) is the natural order of things.
Greed is good.





David
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Your Quote of the Day - Discussion by edgarblythe
Poo-tee-weet? - Question by boomerang
can anyone help me with this quote - Question by ritchielmk
Quotes...not exactly correct. - Question by Frank Apisa
Post your favorite tv shows Quotes? - Question by makwarne01
looking for a peace offering quotes - Question by aycelsanorjo
Looking for a particular quote... - Discussion by LocalHero
 
  1. Forums
  2. » DEMOCRACY and LIBERTY
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 11/22/2019 at 06:15:06