BEER n TMATER JUICE--

patiodog

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 05:38 am
@farmerman,
mmmm. Cheladas I've seen are beer and tomato with lime and hot sauce. Google tells me that's not standard and there a lot of variations.

F@cking Google.
farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 05:48 am
@patiodog,
I used to drink a local variant on the ebach at Ixtapa. It was heavy on the lime juice and a salsa for zip. Dos Equis of course
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 05:58 am
Redbird. That's what they call a beer and tomato juice where the X is in Texas. You drink such on mid-summer nights. Drink them icy, icy cold with a large plate of jalapeƱo nachos (just chips, cheese and sliced peppers all melted together.)

Joe(look at all those stars)Nation
jespah

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 06:03 am
@Joe Nation,
I wonder if you could use beer and tomato juice (or V8) on your dog if he was sprayed by a skunk. You'd get odor reduction and a soft, glossy coat, I suspect. Anyone got a dog and a skunk we can try this out on?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 06:12 am
@Joe Nation,
i always heard it called a red eye, a good "i've got more drinking to do on sunday, but i kind if overdid saturday" type of drink with a hearty breakfast to hold off the hangover, if done right you can ease into a sundays afternoon of drinking, tapering off towards the evening and wake up monday feeling just fine, when in all likely hood you should have succumbed to alcohol poisoning, molson canadian and heinz tomato juice (never a spicy tomato, just plain)
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 06:40 am
@djjd62,
If you are in Texas, or most parts of it, red eye refers to either a ham based gravy or the cheapest-near vinegar- screw-top wine you can buy. I say most parts of it because Texas is not one place.

There are people in Muleshoe who have never seen the Gulf of Mexico, mostly because it never comes up in any conversation. And there are people in Del Rio who have heard of Dallas but mostly through the old tv series, not because its of any interest to them.
Out in the dry counties where you can't get a beer of any kind, no how, no way, no night, no day --the drink of choice is Dr. Pepper and Salted Peanuts. You can put peanuts in your Coke if you want to but you won't be completely true to the tradition.

I mixed up some Coke and peanuts at a Yankee Stadium game once, about drove the people I was with crazy.

My first thought was that I had been wrong not to use Dr. Pepper, but their objections came from their unfamiliarity with the fine dining habits of Sterling County, Texas.

Joe(btw---ALL soft drinks in Texas are called Coke even Dr. Pepper)Nation
mismi

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 06:43 am
@Joe Nation,
Quote:

My first thought was that I had been wrong not to use Dr. Pepper, but their objections came from their unfamiliarity with the fine dining habits of Sterling County, Texas.

My papaw taught me to do that. For some reason I only get the craving when I see a glass bottle coke and those skinny packs of salted peanuts when we stop at a gas station. He had a fillin' station. It was full of those kinds of gourmet delights.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 07:21 am
In West-By God-Virginia it was always a"red-eye". An attempt to spice up a faint-hearted 3.2 beer.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 09:28 am
@Joe Nation,
MENTHOS dumped in a bottle of Coke Clasic. You can be part of the space program.
panzade

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 09:31 am
@farmerman,
We'd try and snooker playmates into eating a Fizzie

Quote:
.. your parents said if you swallowed Fizzies Drink Tablets whole, then drank water, your stomach would explode?

http://www.fizzies.com/nostalgia.html
farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 10:12 am
@panzade,
No but we used to see who could recite the longest poem in "burple"
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 10:24 am
I've always heard that called a "Bloody Maria".

Yum.

But it must be made with pilsner.

Guiness is great but shouldn't be mixed with anything but a shot of Irish Wiskey -- boilermakers -- when you don't have anything to do for the next couple of days.
raprap

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 10:26 am
@farmerman,
American Beer and V-8 ---that's a Red Dog where I'm from and it's suprisingly good

Using dark Guiness is a waste of good beer.

An alternative to V-8 with dark Guiness is to mix it with good Vanilla Ice Cream as a modification to a Root Beer Float.

Rap
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 10:30 am
@boomerang,
once had a misspent St. Paddy's Day drinking "Depth Charges", shots of Lambs Dark Navy Rum, dropped into Guinness

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 10:45 am
Quote:
BEER n TMATER JUICE

Around here they're called Micheladas.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 11:02 am
I was in Safeway two days ago, and saw for first time Budweiser with Clamato...I did a double take, as in WTF! I see on the internet that the Mexicans drink this beer/tomato juice thing, but I don't remember seeing it when I lived near Tucson nor in Monterey.

I like my beer to follow Reinheitsgebot , once in awhile I will try the flavored beers that my wife drinks, but I will not be trying this.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 11:03 am
i could probably go with beer and a V8 like juice, but Clamato, i think not
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 12:16 pm
I can't drink a beer without it. Mind you, I don't drink a lot of beer so...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 04:19 pm
But noone else has tried the Guiness and V8 or Tomato juice?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 04:25 pm
@farmerman,
looks like you got us in under false pretences .... beer n tmater juice

you got lotsa beer fiends
enough tmater juice fans

but Guinness

doesn't seem to be the thing in this crowd
0 Replies