Barrier Reef oil spill April 4, 2010

spendius

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 06:28 am
@spendius,
We must not forget that George once ran a large ship aground somewhere off East Africa I think it was.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 06:39 am
Oops!! So did Captain Fitzroy. In Plymouth Sound too.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 07:03 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

If I was at a dinner party listening to this lot I would end up on the floor in an uncontrollable tittering fit.

That goes without saying spendi, and it's also why you're usually not invited to dinner parties.

T
K
O
spendius

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 08:09 am
@Diest TKO,
Oh TK-- I have attended my share. Some quite posh ones too. And some not so posh.

The flushed and intense young ladies, in full flow, saving us all from our incompetence with really, really obvious advice gleaned from the news media, which is grinding axes they could not possibly understand, having led such cosseted and sheltered lives, is a really amusing prospect.

It's actually dog eat dog in the commercial world and were it not the young ladies would not be so cosseted as they are. Unconsciously they demand it and know how to get it as well.

Do you think every automobile should be preceded by a man with a red flag to ensure its safe passage? Bearing in mind the millions of dead and multi millions of the maimed one might think it a sensible policy. A ship of coal stuck on a reef with nobody scratched is hardly a momentous matter and especially when the reef is adapting itself according to evolutionary principles to the poisons from the run off from the lands of cheap food production on which the dinner party is dependent in the first place.

Possibly you lack a sense of humour TK?
Ionus

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 08:29 am
@spendius,
Well spendy we have a ship on a reef. If we do what I want, we will have an old fashioned hanging from the yardarm like the good old days. Then we have a ship stuck on a reef. What do you suggest ?
farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 08:43 am
@spendius,
Quote:
This thread is a joke.
when I drank a lot, I too would laugh at phone books. Just because you are having fun with glossolalia and word sounds , dont discount others on the thread who are considering something on a higher plane and therefore more important than you are capable of assessing at the moment. Even those who disagree completely want something done to prevent or remediate this or similar events.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 08:55 am
I've learned a lot reading this thread and thank all who have added helpful information from varied points of view.

George, I remember the Bay Bridge hit and that you and I had a conversation on that thread that I also found useful.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 10:19 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
What do you suggest ?

I would put the wreck up for auction and if there are no bids I would let nature take care of it as it has the vast number of wrecks which have preceeded it. I have complete confidence in the reef to shrug it off and possibly to take some advantage of it.

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 10:26 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
when I drank a lot, I too would laugh at phone books.

I've not tried that fm. Is it any good? I hope you didn't go on the wagon for a little thing like that.

Laughs are worth their weight in gold according to Rabelais and I trust him.

Quote:
Just because you are having fun with glossolalia and word sounds , dont discount others on the thread who are considering something on a higher plane and therefore more important than you are capable of assessing at the moment.

Yes--I know. Their egos. Their need to find something to interest them and as a tool to reflect golden glows of concern. And, for the lucky ones, a nice easy way of diverting funds in their own direction.

Quote:
Even those who disagree completely want something done to prevent or remediate this or similar events.

So do I. Like reducing demand for oil and thus reducing the chance of accidents.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 12:21 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Which leads me to seriously consider Diest's point: the cost of pilots to assist in navigating ships through such sensitive areas, compared with the huge cost of clean-up operations. Say nothing of the (yet unknown in this case) impact on the marine environment.

To me (non-expert that I am) prevention looks a whole lot more palatable, say nothing of much less expensive than the "cure", of cleaning up after after such an accident. Two tonnes of oil into the ocean this time. What next time?

Apart from that, the presence of a pilot might well make the operators of such ships more careful, responsible, or less "accident" prone.:

...., obviously the Australian government needs to tighten up the rules about passage through such areas. At the moment it looks rather like anything goes.

Then you should do what you can to persuade your government to require pilots (if proficient ones can be found) to accompany ships transiting the very large barrier reef area off the east coast of Australia. Perhaps you could enlist Diest to help you enlighten the apparently recalcitrant officials.

I suspect you will find opposition from those with an economic interest in the movement or sale of imported & exported goods, as well as those who depend on them. Other skeptics might point out that a two ton spill (about 580 gallons) isn't a significant environmental hazard or event. Some may raise questions about the disproportionate application of remedy to this issue while far greater hazards go on unremedied.

My bet is that you will not succeed.
Diest TKO

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 12:30 pm
@georgeob1,
It might be of economic interest? Good point George. What were those numbers again on the clean up of this itty bitty fuel leak compared to the cost of a Pilot again?

Consider me economically interested in your answer.

T
K
O
spendius

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 01:24 pm
@Diest TKO,
Quote:
What were those numbers again on the clean up of this itty bitty fuel leak compared to the cost of a Pilot again?

Good grief TK. Somebody has already explained what a stupid point that is so there's obviously no use in my doing.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 06:59 pm
Latest (video) update from ABC news this morning. :

http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2010/04/07/2866720.htm

Authorities prepare to salvage oil spill ship
Source: 7pm TV News QLD
Published: Wednesday, April 7, 2010 8:08 AEST
Expires: Tuesday, July 6, 2010 8:08 AEST

Authorities say it is too early to claim a major crisis has been averted on the Great Barrier Reef off central Queensland as the salvage of a bulk coal carrier will be delicate and could take weeks.

`
spendius

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 06:09 am
@msolga,
Quote:
Authorities say it is too early to claim a major crisis has been averted on the Great Barrier Reef off central Queensland as the salvage of a bulk coal carrier will be delicate and could take weeks.

That's neat. The modesty shines forth like a beacon of hope in the dark, lowering skies. With all backs covered.

That having been sorted out with some memos and phone calls and overflights the next question to the savers of the reef brigade is the matter of the poisonous run off from the land of pesticides and fertilisers.

Are there any "SEE THE WRECK" boat trips. A$50 with FREE soft drink. No smoking.
Ionus

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 06:13 am
@spendius,
Politicians who supposedly believe in the gospel truth of global warming have flown over the wreck at the rate that must have gone close to needing its own controlled airspace for safety reasons. It seems where their job is at stake, hang the global warming crap, get me a photo opportunity ! Isnt the reef supposed to be in danger from global warming ? Shouldnt they lead by example ?
msolga

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 06:21 am
Update:

Quote:
Oil pumped from grounded coal ship
Updated 4 hours 15 minutes ago

Salvagers have pumped almost 40 tonnes of oil from a coal carrier grounded on the Great Barrier Reef off central Queensland.

It has been almost a week since the Shen Neng ran aground on Douglas Shoal, spilling more than two tonnes of oil.

Authorities are now pumping out more than 970 tonnes of fuel oil still on the ship.

Queensland Premier Anna Bligh says the ship's insurer will be forced to pay for the salvage operation and the Government will recoup its expenses from the insurance company.

"But that is a matter for down the track," she said.

"Number one priority - get this ship out of this reef safely without any damage to the reef."

Ms Bligh says the shipping company could face fines of up to a million dollars over the incident. ...<cont>

Reporting dispute

Australian maritime authorities are disputing a claim that the grounding was reported within five minutes. ... <cont>

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/04/09/2868978.htm
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 06:40 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
Shouldnt they lead by example ?

Don't be so naive Io. Most voters are not like you or I.

Quote:
Queensland Premier Anna Bligh says the ship's insurer will be forced to pay for the salvage operation and the Government will recoup its expenses from the insurance company.

Which is, of course, not true. It is the insurance premiums paid to the insurers which provide the source of the funds. If Anna knows that she is telling a deliberate lie and if she doesn't what's she doing running things?

One doesn't win off the bookies. One wins off the other punters who have backed the losers. Bookies are stakeholders who charge a percentage for the service. Insurers are bookies. Their continued presence in our midst is scientific evidence that nobody ever charged them anything.

10 years of no wrecks is the biggest danger insurance companies face.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 11:24 pm
Quote:

Australia to prosecute over Barrier Reef ship crash
last updated at 11:46 GMT, Sunday, 11 April 2010 12:46 UK/BBC NEWS

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/47624000/jpg/_47624607_005739285-1.jpg
The Great Barrier Reef

Those responsible for a Chinese ship running aground on the Great Barrier Reef and leaking oil will be prosecuted, Australian authorities say.

Transport Minister Anthony Albanese said the vessel was clearly on an unlawful route and compensation would be sought for the spill.

"We'll be throwing the book at those responsible," Mr Albanese said.

In a separate case, three men have been charged with steering their cargo ship through a restricted area of the Reef.

The men, from Vietnam and South Korea, will appear in an Australian court on Monday, accused of taking their coal carrier on an unauthorised route through one of the world's most valuable marine wildlife reserves.

It is alleged that their vessel, the MV Mimosa, was not registered with the Reef Vessel Tracking System and failed to respond to attempts by the authorities to establish contact.

If found guilty, the men could face a maximum fine of more than A$200,000 ($205,000).

Oil fear

The Chinese vessel, the Shen Nang 1, rammed into a sandbank some 70km (43 miles) off the east coast of Great Keppel Island on 4 April after straying off its permitted route.

"It is quite clear that this vessel went on a course that was unlawful," Mr Albanese told reporters after flying over the stranded ship.

"The Australian government will ensure that the full force of the law is brought to bear on those responsible," he said.

"And we will also ensure... compensation is paid with regard to the cost of cleaning up."

Salvage crews have been pumping fuel oil from the vessel, which was carrying carrying 950 tonnes of oil and about 65,000 tonnes of coal.

Inflatable booms are in place around it to contain any oil that may spill.

In the wake of these incidents, it has emerged that bulk carriers regularly take short cuts through the world heritage-listed marine park - reef "rat-runs" that cut down on voyage times and therefore save money.

The Australian government has vowed to tighten up its maritime laws in response

The Great Barrier Reef is the world's largest reef system and extends for more than 2,500km.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8613890.stm
msolga

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 12:20 am
@msolga,
From today's Sydney Morning Herald:

Quote:
Government provides reason to cry over spilt oil
April 12, 2010 - 2:29PM/SMH

Queensland will increase its penalties for ships causing oil spills five-fold, threatening offenders with fines of up to $10 million.

Premier Anna Bligh said cabinet had approved new laws following the oil spill from the Chinese bulk coal carrier Shen Neng 1, which ran aground on the Great Barrier Reef last week.

Ms Bligh said the maximum penalty for corporations would increase by five times from $1.75 million, while individuals would face a $500,000 fine - up from $350,000.

The penalties would apply also when oil spills in commonwealth waters drifted into state waters and washed up on the state's coastline, and would be equal to the toughest penalties in the country, Ms Bligh said.

"This increase in penalties will send a message to the thousands of ship crews who pass through Queensland waters that nothing but the greatest attention to safety and care will be tolerated," she said.

"Ten million dollars is a lot of money for any company to have to hand over in the event of a marine mishap, and it would be in addition to any compensation a company would to pay for a clean up."

The new legislation will be introduced to Queensland parliament this week.

AAP

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/government-provides-reason-to-cry-over-spilt-oil-20100412-s30b.html
msolga

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 12:32 am
And finally ...

Quote:
Coal carrier refloat planned tonight
JESSICA MARSZALEK
April 12, 2010 - 3:24PM/SMH

Authorities will tonight attempt to refloat the bulk coal carrier stranded on the Great Barrier Reef before bad weather hits the region.

Salvagers say the 230-metre Shen Neng 1, which ran aground on Douglas Shoal off Rockhampton on April 3, has been moving slightly, raising hopes the vessel can be refloated.

Preparatory efforts today have involved pumping compressed air into its tanks, to see what kind of lift that provides.

Most of the 970 tonnes of heavy fuel oil aboard the ship has already been pumped out ahead of the attempt to refloat the carrier.

Maritime Safety Queensland general manager Patrick Quirk said the plan, to be confirmed at 5pm, was to attempt the refloat at 6pm, with high tide expected at 8pm.

He said the formation of an east-coast low in the area had hastened the refloat operation.

"Doing nothing at the moment is not an option," he said.

"We would need to try to move that vessel before the swell and the wind increases tomorrow afternoon."

He said divers had not inspected the physical damage underneath the vessel but naval architects who inspected the inside believed it had enough stability and strength to survive a refloat.

Following the refloat, authorities would inspect the vessel to ensure there were no structural failures or further oil leaks before it was tugged to safe waters northwest of Keppel Island.

But he said there were "no guarantees".

"We have another window of opportunity eight o'clock tomorrow morning if we fail tonight," he said.

Mr Quirk said extra tugs would be sent to help if the carrier remained stranded when the weather turned late on Wednesday.

"We would just need to handle that," he said.

"... It's not ideal conditions but these salvors save vessels in the middle of the north Atlantic storms and I'm sure we can get the vessel off.

"Unfortunately the vessel will probably suffer more damage during that process and there's increased risk of oil leaking from the vessel in those circumstances."

AAP

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/coal-carrier-refloat-planned-tonight-20100412-s37k.html
0 Replies