Tampon makers can’t mention the V word. Period.

msolga

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 11:57 pm
I came across this article this morning in the Guardian (UK)

Quote:
Tampon-makers can't mention the V-word. Period.

An advertising campaign for tampons is rejected by US television networks for daring to include the word vagina.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRf35wCmzWw[/youtube]

Just don't say vagina: the acceptable version of the tampon ad.

For years, advertising for tampons and "sanitary products" have been shrouded in nebulous euphemism. So what happens when a US tampon-maker drops the coy messaging and goes straight for the jugular (so to speak)? Its ad gets banned by the major US television networks for mentioning the word vagina.

Even when the company substituted "down there" for vagina, two of the networks still wouldn't run the ad, so the company was forced to drop the idea altogether. That provoked Amanda Hess, author of The Sexist blog, to observe: "Now, the commercial contains no direct references to female genitalia " you know, the place where the ******* tampon goes." ....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/richard-adams-blog/2010/mar/16/tampon-vagina-kotex-advertising

Anyway, this article got me wondering: why, when so much frank & sometimes extremely graphic, information about just about anything about sex is all over the place (including rape simulation video games) ... why are we still so coy about using the proper name for this particular piece of women’s genitilia?

Why is it so hard to say vagina?

I’d be interested in a bit of feedback from you:

Would you personally find the inclusion of the word “vagina” in such advertisements offensive? If so why?

If you, personally, wouldn’t be offended, do you think others in your community would be? Do you think there’d be some sort of public backlash against franker advertising of these products.

Have you ever wondered what that blue stuff (being absorbed so effectively by the “female hygiene products” in these advertisements actually is? Wink Would you be offended if it was replaced by the real thing? (ie blood coloured liquid)

Do you think there is a similar coyness in advertising say, male erectile dysfunction remedies, is treated as coyly in advertising in your own country?
Is the word penis actually ever used in these advertisements? (I’m thinking there is a coyness about this in my own country, though not 100% sure, as I don’t watch all that much television.)

Do you think that these advertisers of these products are actually out of step with what would actually be acceptable in your own society? If so why do you think this type of coy advertising is so prevalent?

Plus anything any other observations you may wish to add, of course!

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 15 • Views: 11,191 • Replies: 84

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 12:01 am
@msolga,
For some inexplicable reason the YouTube link to the "sanitized" Kotex advertisement doesn't work in my post. (or it does for a minute, then ceases to work)

So to see it, you'll have to go the Guardian article site.

But I can tell you, it's well worth a look! Very amusing! Wink

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/richard-adams-blog/2010/mar/16/tampon-vagina-kotex-advertising
msolga

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 12:09 am
@msolga,
These were the most popular euphemisms for “vagina” from women who responded to the love your vagina request, “tell us what you lovingly call yours” (UK) site. Some of them are very funny.:

Quote:
Tiddles, Amber lamps, Secret garden, You know what, Kitty meow, Mootz, Rose, Whisperingeye, Fontaine de jus, Mouse, Jemima, Wizards sleeve, Patata, Tiddy, Badangawanga, Mon garage .....etc, etc, etc ...

http://www.loveyourvagina.com/index.php/index/static#
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 12:12 am
@msolga,
Quite funny.

We don't have such 'difficulties' here.
Below is an advert from 1978, mentioning clearly 'Scheide', which is the German word for 'vagina'. ("... An o.b. tampon absorbs the blood right from the interior of your vagina. ...")

http://i39.tinypic.com/20kq2y1.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 12:19 am
When I was doing sex education, I usually collected terms for vagina, (and penis etc) from boys and girls (seperately) and then compared them in the group.
Girls were surprised, what "aggressive" terms boys used - boys, how sweet 'that thing' could be named Wink
(All under the topic of of "anti-aggressive boys' and emancipating girls' work".)
msolga

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 12:25 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Well how extraordinarily enlightened you folk are, Walter! Surprised Wink

And in case US folk think they are being targeted as being super prim about these things, let me say this is not the case.

The "feminine hygiene product" advertisements in my own country are very similar to to the sanitized Kotex advertisement in the article.: lots of super pure images, spiritual, almost, of women dressed in white, enjoying yoga, dancing, .. on beaches, gazing into the sunset, etc, etc, etc ...

NEVER a woman doubled over with cramps, with a hot water bottle for comfort. Never one "down in the dumps" because menstruation can temporarily do weird things to your frame of mind! Wink

They are up, up, up! Enjoying it all immensely! Smile

And the word vagina? NEVER!!!
msolga

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 12:31 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Girls were surprised, what "aggressive" terms boys used - boys, how sweet 'that thing' could be named Wink

Interesting, very interesting, Walter!
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 12:45 am
@msolga,
Cooter plugs.

I'm not even comfortable in the makeup aisle, much less that aisle....I usually go to the toy section during that portion of shopping....I'm gettin the willies just thinkin about it.
msolga

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 12:53 am
@2PacksAday,
That's a first, 2Packs!

Never heard that before, I must confess.

There's an advertisement I saw on youtube about a fellow getting very confused about choosing the exact right variety of tampon. I'll see if I can find it for you. (I suspect you'll feel better about not being alone in your confusion on such a mission. Wink )
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 12:57 am
@2PacksAday,
Know what you mean. Ex ol' lady sent me out to pick up some Yahtzee Pads for a little get-to-gether. Dumb little sales chick sends me to 'Feminine Hygene'.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 01:18 am
Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina

The ability to say these words means you're a pervert in the USA.
K
O
Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 03:02 am
Has no one caught the irony of a newspaper retailing the story of advertisers who can't use the word vagina, while themselves referring to that part of a woman's anatomy as "the v-word?"
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 03:43 am
@Diest TKO,
Quote:
Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina Penis Vagina

The ability to say these words means you're a pervert in the USA.

I'm wondering if that's right, Diest? Or if you have your tongue in your cheek here?

Or if it is the case, that perhaps it's not "right" to say vagina or penis in "polite society"? (Much the same as there was a taboo on publicly saying **** in polite society not all that long ago .... but now it seems, everyone's saying it. Even vice presidents!)

But in terms of the advertising industry & these super coy tampon ads, where does that sort of modesty come from, I wonder? Is it what the advertising industry has somehow collectively decided what is acceptable or not, or is it reflecting the (somehow perceived ) values of the society? Or is it the television networks being super cautious?
It certainly seems a very quaint attitude at this point in time!
msolga

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 03:54 am
Interesting. Not one woman has responded to this thread yet.

Funny, I thought it would be the other way around. Even considered inviting men to respond as well ... in case they might have perceived this as a "women's thread".

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 04:01 am
@msolga,
GASP!! You're talking about such a naughty subject Ms Olga! I now feel the vapors coming on!!
http://www.heptameron.info/day7/img/133a.jpg
You are all so vulgar and crass! Talking about women's woo woos!

And as relevant aside, here is a video whose producers are definitely committing war crimes of the similar linguistic sort!
http://www.urbanesse.com/2009/04/target-women-vagina-euphemisms/
Wink
msolga

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 04:07 am
@tsarstepan,
Laughing

You're very funny sometimes, tsar!

OK, off to watch this video now.

(ps we are also talking about euphemisms for "penis" in advertising, also in "real life". I hope that makes you feel more comfortable. Wink )
msolga

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 04:13 am
@msolga,
That was a very interesting video, tsar.
Thank you for tracking it down & posting it here.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 04:15 am
@msolga,
I wouldn't have found it without the inspiration of this thought provoking thread.
msolga

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 04:16 am
@tsarstepan,
Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 04:18 am
I must disappear for a while - to watch a video I must return tomorrow.

But do keep posting, everyone.