Tampon makers can’t mention the V word. Period.

msolga

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 05:35 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
I'm not sure I know what I mean either. How coincidental, I just woke up from a 2 hour nap before writing that post as well

Very Happy A post from a half-awake person to another half-awake person! Ha.

Quote:
I think I was trying to facetiously suggest Americans get embarrassed too quickly that they would feel discomfortable standing next to a sex education teacher even if the teacher never mentioned a single note on his topic of expertise by simply standing in the same room as the Americans.

Got it now!

Sex education teachers just know too damn much don't they?

But you never know just what they might actually say in polite company, either! They are risky & uncomfortable have around. Wink
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 06:50 pm
Darn.
I missed a good conversation.

But my two bits is that I wish people in this country, residents, advertisers, marketers etc, would all STOP using stupid terms like 'down there' or a womans 'gentle side' and just use the proper terms. There is nothing wrong with the word vagina. There is nothing wrong with using the word.
My daughter uses it for crying out loud and she is 6 . why? because THAT is what it is called.

There is a huge sexual fear in this country. Its only ok it seems, to show sex for mens satisfaction, but not for womens and it is apparently horrid to introduce the idea of sex to kids even in the form of basic education about what is going on with their bodies.

I wish I could get off the prude boat and join the rest of the world!
msolga

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 07:08 pm
@shewolfnm,
No, you haven't missed a good conversation, shewolf, You are now part of it! Smile

Quote:
But my two bits is that I wish people in this country, residents, advertisers, marketers etc, would all STOP using stupid terms like 'down there' or a womans 'gentle side' and just use the proper terms. There is nothing wrong with the word vagina. There is nothing wrong with using the word.
My daughter uses it for crying out loud and she is 6 . why? because THAT is what it is called.

Hear, hear!

Quote:

There is a huge sexual fear in this country. Its only ok it seems, to show sex for mens satisfaction, but not for womens and it is apparently horrid to introduce the idea of sex to kids even in the form of basic education about what is going on with their bodies.

I wish I could get off the prude boat and join the rest of the world!

You know (& I keep wondering, after a number of posts ..) is the US in fact any worse regarding such prudishness than many other similar "western" countries? (It's really hard to tell from the other side of the planet.)

I do know there's quite a deal of prudishness in the media in my own country (can't recall ever hearing the word "vagina" in a tampon ad, for example), but I think I can safely say that the impact of conservative religions is a lot less influential on public opinion making. But then, we look like a bunch of heathens by comparision! Wink

Or, perhaps, I am "barking up the wrong tree", so to speak, in assuming that conservative religious beliefs have as much impact on attitudes toward women & sexuality in the US as I assume they do?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 07:19 pm
I have only lived in this country so I can not speak for any other. .. though I have friends who have moved here from some severe places.

No. America is not on the top of the sexually repressed list.

We are on the stupidest of the repressed list.

WHen your tv will tell you that your vagina is called a "down there" and you are told that you are " not fresh smelling" all in the name of product sales .....

and your audience not only BUYS the suggestion, but BUYS the product because they believe they shouldnt smell, and aer comfortable with day care quality terms for their sex organs... yeah. That speaks a lot about the mass IQ. Laughing
msolga

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 07:22 pm
@shewolfnm,
Thank you for responding to my questions & sharing your insights, shewolf.

Bit by bit all will become clear! Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 07:22 pm
And no, you are not barking up the wrong tree.
You are absolutely right.

Imagine it like a cartoon drawing.
In one box you have an american tv. In the next box you have a Cardinal ( from the catholic church)
In the next box you see him with a black sharpie covering parts of the tv that HE THINKS others should not watch.

In the final box, that tv with alllllllll those black streaks are handed to Fox, NBC, CBS and other american broadcasting stations as their 'guideline' for what to show.

Thats how things are run here. People may say otherwise, but it comes down to the feeling of shame with sex and that is more prominent in religious cultures especially christianity(in this country because it is the primary religion.)
ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 07:32 pm
@msolga,
I spent years - years! - laughing re all my landscape design and contractor friends pronouncing Pinus pinea incorrectly...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 07:37 pm
@shewolfnm,
Quote:
Thats how things are run here. People may say otherwise, but it comes down to the feeling of shame with sex and that is more prominent in religious cultures especially christianity(in this country because it is the primary religion.)

That's something I alluded to earlier, shewolf. And I don't believe that Christian churches have been the only "offenders".

I was talking about, or wondering about out loud, actually ... about "old" religious attitudes toward menstruation & women ... & how they had been considered "unclean" or "impure" when they were menstruating. I used the example of Java (Indonesia) when I was there a few years ago ... signs outside particular Muslim sacred worshiping sites, requesting that women not enter such places when menstruating. I was wondering if there was still some sort of lingering hangover in western societies, which still impacts.
chai2

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 07:36 pm
@msolga,
I love these 2 girls

Thomas

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 08:05 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
We've got lots of erectile dysfunction ads here in the US, and not one of them says the word penis.

In America's defense, its TV stations have broadcast some fairly straightforward accounts of those organs in their regular programming.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 09:10 pm
Chai & Thomas ..

One, or both of you, appear to have touched a few raw A2K nerves with your post/s.

Two of the fastest thumbs downs I've ever seen here! And in pretty much "dead time", too! Faster than a speeding bullet! Surprised

Did either of you mention the V word, by any chance? Wink
Thomas

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 09:18 pm
@msolga,
Really? I'm counting two thumbs up for both of us, and never noticed the thumbs down.
msolga

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 09:43 pm
@Thomas,
The 2 thumbs up are from moi. (That's the sort of person I am! Very Happy Wink )

But it's the thread thumbs down I was referring to!

Wow, was that speedy! Surprised
Thomas

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 09:55 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
But it's the thread thumbs down I was referring to!

Oh, that. That was probably some woman who is cranky because of her period. Plus she doesn't like all that talk about tampons because it makes her vagina itch.
msolga

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 10:07 pm
@Thomas,
Shocked

Now you'll get us another thumbs down, Thomas!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 01:30 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Chai & Thomas ..

One, or both of you, appear to have touched a few raw A2K nerves with your post/s.

Two of the fastest thumbs downs I've ever seen here! And in pretty much "dead time", too! Faster than a speeding bullet! Surprised

Did either of you mention the V word, by any chance? Wink

I thought my video was one of the most fabulously educational ones re menstruation I have ever seen.

Nothing offensive about it. I'm serious.

Whoever gave it a thumbs down is a douchebag.

Which BTW could be a topic of another video
msolga

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 05:22 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Nothing offensive about it. I'm serious.

I know, I know, chai! Smile

And as a teacher (Ha. Always! Wink ) I know those two girls had put a heck of a lot of time into working on that video together. Research, planning, & figuring out the best way to communicate the information in a no nonsense & interesting way. These things take time & work. A+, girls! Very Happy

Anyway, I'd say anyone who's never used a tampon before, would have found their presentation very helpful!

(The only part I'd put in the "more research would improve this " category would be flushing used tampons down the toilet. Probably not such a good idea for the household plumbing or for the environment.)
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 07:28 pm
I fell in love with the first girl in the first 25 seconds.
msolga

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 07:55 pm
@chai2,
Yep, I love a girl with a mission, too, chai! Very Happy
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 09:01 am
Olga -- if you're still reading A2K -- I came across this today and it made me think about you and this thread....

A BIOLOGY teacher is under investigation for using the word vagina in a lesson about human sexual reproduction...

http://magicvalley.com/news/local/state-investigates-complaint-about-dietrich-science-teacher-s-human-reproduction/article_47dec69a-963f-11e2-a856-001a4bcf887a.html