Tampon makers can’t mention the V word. Period.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 05:12 am
This reminds me of the late 50's/early 60's, when I was helping in my grandpa's/aunt's 'droguerie' (which was/is a "nearly-pharmacy" here).

I could sell everything (when older, even from the poison cabinet) but no lady asked me for the sanitary napkins.

One day I was alone in the shop. A lady came, bought this and that, then asked for my aunt, my grandma, one of the shop assistants ... no-one there.
Not only today but even in those days I've been very shy, nice and quiet. So I asked her, if she wanted the cheaper stuff or the ... naming the various brands and different kinds.
(The 'cheaper stuff' was delivered in large packets, hundreds in one. So I got some extra money when wrapping them - four each, if I remember correctly - in brown parcel paper.)

I've sold
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 06:39 am
Okay, I'll respond.

We've got lots of erectile dysfunction ads here in the US, and not one of them says the word penis. Or even the word organ. About the closest that anyone gets is the Enzyte commercials, which are meant to be funny and are supposedly for enhancement and not for dysfunction anyway.

It's as if we have nothing there, like we were all flesh and blood versions of big Ken and Barbie dolls.

And it's confusing for kids. I recall the Stayfree commercials in the 1970s. Even though I knew about menstruation, I still couldn't figure out what the heck they were for until I was actually getting my period and my mother showed me where the supplies were. This confusion was compounded by a friend telling me that, now that she was a mature 12-year-old, she was wearing pads all the time to stay fresh (these were, I suspect, little light things, probably to get her used to the whole concept until she actually needed the big guns). I mean, huh? Not that I love unclean underwear, but some sort of a pad every single blessed day was already obviously excessive to my 11-year-old brain. And of course now we'd think of that as being totally non-green, too.

We are a squeamish lot, we American types. But at least my mother told me about menstruation, and before I started (I was 11). My friend A___ was never told by her mother and only vaguely told by her older sister (in all fairness to the sister, it was certainly not the sister's job to do that). A___ started getting her period when she was perhaps 13 or so and, understandably, thought she was dying. I shake my head now to think of it, almost 35 years later, but I bet she wasn't the only one of my friends to be so taken by surprise by it.
aidan

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 07:08 am
@jespah,
When I was in fifth or sixth grade we had an informational program about the whole thing. They took the boys into another room where I guess they talked about their stuff to them and they showed us a movie about it and the nurse showed us all the equipment...we each got this little plastic pouch with a question and answer booklet and pads, etc...

That was in public school in NJ in the seventies.
Quote:

Would you personally find the inclusion of the word “vagina” in such advertisements offensive? If so why?
No.

If you, personally, wouldn’t be offended, do you think others in your community would be? Do you think there’d be some sort of public backlash against franker advertising of these products.
I think that older people might find it embarrassing or uncomfortable or not necessary to speak so frankly about bodily functions - for instance- my mother or someone of her generation or age.

In fact, when I think about it- I don't really enjoy sitting there watching it and thinking about it that much especially when my son or brother or father are sitting there watching something with me.

And what's with all the advertising anyway - I mean there are two or three companies who make this stuff and it's not like any woman can opt out of using their products...they have a built-in inescapable market.
Would a woman make a decision about which product of this type to buy based on an ad campaign? I wouldn't. You use the one that suits you best - no matter what wording they use in their commercials- at least that's what I'd think and do.

Have you ever wondered what that blue stuff (being absorbed so effectively by the “female hygiene products” in these advertisements actually is? Would you be offended if it was replaced by the real thing? (ie blood coloured liquid)
I would turn the tv off at that point if that were ever to be the case. That would disgust me- yes...
I'm squeamish....I can figure out what the blue stuff is supposed to represent on my own - I don't want to have that visual image on my tv set - no thank you- and it's not because I hate my body or what it does, etc., etc...I just don't need to be shown while I'm trying to enjoy a relaxing evening and entertainment. It's not necessary.

Do you think there is a similar coyness in advertising say, male erectile dysfunction remedies, is treated as coyly in advertising in your own country?
Is the word penis actually ever used in these advertisements? (I’m thinking there is a coyness about this in my own country, though not 100% sure, as I don’t watch all that much television.)
I've never hear the word 'penis' used in an ad. It wouldn't bother me if it were though.
But I don't watch that much tv either.
The thing I do notice about US ads as opposed to UK ads (and maybe it's just because of the stations my parents watch as elderly Americans) but every single ad is for some sort of drug or medicine...I said to my Dad the last time I was watching tv with him at Christmas, ' You'd think that every person in the US is sick in some way - and needs some sort of medical treatment or drug....You never see antidepressants marketed and advertised in the UK- here (in the US) every other ad is for some sort of antidepressent or sleep aid or something...

*I just figured it out - the NHS here - so maybe they don't have a competitive market place for medicines as they do there.

Now that we have our health plan - maybe that'll change

I thought the initial ad you linked was funny. I wouldn't mind seeing that on tv even if they used the word vagina - and I can't think of any friends I have who would be offended either.
jespah

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 07:20 am
I remember we did have a movie, oh yeah, that's right, but it was after I needed it and we moved from Pennsylvania by then. I dunno if A__ was exposed to a movie (she only lived on LI when we were kids). Hmm. I totally forgot about that.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 07:21 am
@jespah,
Quote:
Okay, I'll respond.

Good for you, jespah!

Quote:
We've got lots of erectile dysfunction ads here in the US, and not one of them says the word penis. Or even the word organ. About the closest that anyone gets is the Enzyte commercials, which are meant to be funny and are supposedly for enhancement and not for dysfunction anyway.

Ha. Just checked out the Enzyte commercial you posted. Funny! Very Happy
That might even be a bit advanced for Oz. (From what I've seen) we take the more serious, "scientific" approach to erectile dysfunction remedies advertisements. Not too much information, in fact the ads appear to be over in a flash! No recollection of the word penis in any I've seen.

Quote:
It's as if we have nothing there, like we were all flesh and blood versions of big Ken and Barbie dolls.

Which is pretty odd, really, given the huge proliferation of sexual material of all varieties, everywhere one looks, don't you think? Some of it very explicit.
I wonder what's so different about menstruation? (some connection to pregnancy, motherhood?)

Quote:
And it's confusing for kids.

Tell me something! I was given one of those little books in a sealed envelope (which I didn't bother to read properly because it looked so boring! Neutral )
But I think kids are a little less constrained in talking about such things these days, after a few very informative science & health education classes. They (unsurprisingly) find it all quite fascinating! I have even heard the words penis & vagina used in their conversations! Surprised

Quote:
We are a squeamish lot, we American types.

I'm wondering if you're any more or less squeamish than anyone else? (Apart from those very enlightened Germans, with their enlightened advertisements Walter told us about!)

But still, nothing quite explains the weirdness & disconnection from reality of those tampon advertisements!

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 07:34 am
@aidan,
Thank you, aidan.

That was a very thorough response. I really didn't expect anyone to answer every single question!

Quote:
The thing I do notice about US ads as opposed to UK ads (and maybe it's just because of the stations my parents watch as elderly Americans) but every single ad is for some sort of drug or medicine...I said to my Dad the last time I was watching tv with him at Christmas, ' You'd think that every person in the US is sick in some way - and needs some sort of medical treatment or drug....You never see antidepressants marketed and advertised in the UK- here (in the US) every other ad is for some sort of antidepressent or sleep aid or something...

*I just figured it out - the NHS here - so maybe they don't have a competitive market place for medicines as they do there.

Now that we have our health plan - maybe that'll change

That's an interesting observation!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 07:39 am
@aidan,
Quote:
I thought the initial ad you linked was funny. I wouldn't mind seeing that on tv even if they used the word vagina - and I can't think of any friends I have who would be offended either.

Yet that (sanitized) advertisement, with the "v" word removed, was still unacceptable to a couple of networks, anyway!

I thought it was very funny indeed!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 08:56 am
Well, you used to be able to say "vagina" in ads:

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/raim0007/gwss3307_fall2007/1950s%20lysol.jpg

This is an ad for Lysol from the 1950s. Most Americans know Lysol as a family of household cleaning products, but Lysol started as a douche (think of that the next time you're cleaning your kitchen countertops). Lysol's ads generally played on the insecurities of women, who apparently were deathly afraid that their husbands would leave them because their hoo-has smelled like the Augean stables on a hot day. Here, in a strangely confusing example, the woman is somehow jealous or afraid of her "other self," who is confident and happy because, presumably, her hoo-ha smells like sugar cookies or something. Not sure what the message is here, except that Lysol "cleanses the vaginal canal even in the presence of mucous matter." So take that, mucous matter!
msolga

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 09:04 am
@joefromchicago,
Laughing

My goodness, that's fabulous, Joe!

The advertising guy (couldn't have been a woman) who worked out that evil pitch was a true genius!

I nearly ruined my eyesight reading the tiny print, but you're right: it does mention the "vaginal canal"! Shocked
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 09:38 am
I agree that synonyms are the answer here. Check it:

"Whether your flow level is light, moderate, or heavy, our tampons provide your twat maximum comfort. Compact, yet designed to expand to snugly fit your snatch, they're easy to carry. And they're even easier to use. Simply pull the string tight, hold the tampon between your thumb and middle finger, gently hold open the skin around your slit, and ease the tampon inside. If inserted properly, you won't feel it. If you do, push the tampon a little further up your cooch, and voila! If your sweathole itself isn't singing our praises within a week, you'll get your money back, guaranteed."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 09:53 am
What I think to be peculiar funny is how that a 'taboo' still is a taboo for advertising firms and producers, while the general public is years ahead.
On one side, advertisers and firms want to be the pioneers of progress - but here they are obviously the bad example for logjam.

But on the other hand, you women should be happy that tampons are on the market, no matter how they are advertised! Wink

This is an advert from 1894, for sanitary towels made of moss, to be worn with a girdle. (You need 50 per year, it says, five for 75 Pfennigs = the price of 2.5 litre beer.)
http://i39.tinypic.com/qq1ird.jpg
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 03:48 pm
msolga, that was funny Smile Yes, when I get/got mine, I wanted to slow-mo twirl on the beach in a see-through dress, for sure! lol

I don't know why the word "vagina" has been taboo, but it has, even in our own homes. My daughter says it to her girls but we didn't hear it growing up. It was 'pee pee' Smile (and I have 6 sisters, no brothers)... And I think the word for 'penis' was 'willie' or something like that (wasn't an issue in our house!).

Ah, thank heavens for emancipation and such-like.

And Set, yes, it did strike me as funny/ironic about the newspaper article saying the V-word Smile
Mame

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 03:49 pm
@Mame,
and msolga, was your title tongue-in-cheek? "period." Smile
msolga

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 04:31 pm
@Mame,
Something like that, Mame. Smile

(It was the title of the Guardian article.)

But I do think it's a fascinating subject, which should be explored till no stone is unturned! Wink

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 05:04 pm
@2PacksAday,
Quote:
I'm not even comfortable in the makeup aisle, much less that aisle....I usually go to the toy section during that portion of shopping....I'm gettin the willies just thinkin about it.

Here's that advertisement I said I'd try & find for you, 2Packs.
I hope it works (hence the two different links. Had a problem posting videos from YouTube yesterday on this thread.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo9kNFqpH5c&feature=related
Diest TKO

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 05:11 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

I'm wondering if that's right, Diest? Or if you have your tongue in your cheek here?

Or if it is the case, that perhaps it's not "right" to say vagina or penis in "polite society"? (Much the same as there was a taboo on publicly saying **** in polite society not all that long ago .... but now it seems, everyone's saying it. Even vice presidents!)

But in terms of the advertising industry & these super coy tampon ads, where does that sort of modesty come from, I wonder? Is it what the advertising industry has somehow collectively decided what is acceptable or not, or is it reflecting the (somehow perceived ) values of the society? Or is it the television networks being super cautious?
It certainly seems a very quaint attitude at this point in time!

Sadly, I'm being serious. In my time as a wellness educator in college, I had to have many serious talks with people/groups, and these words are still treated like the cue for a laugh track. It really pisses me off.

Sexual health practices in the USA are pathetic. We can't talk about our bodies without snickering in the back of the room.

"Man is the only animal that blushes." ~Mark Twain

There is nothing impolite about acknowledging our bodies.
K
O
msolga

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 05:25 pm
@Diest TKO,
That's really interesting, Diest.

Maybe it's the last taboo?

(Though I think today's kids are much better on this. You should hear them discussing (without snickering, even! But with lots of enthusiasm for the subject! ) what they've learned in health ed & science classes! Smile )

But I was just thinking ...

The "taboo area" appears to be (regarding women, anyway) about menstruation, definitely not sexual practices.

I'm wondering if this is some sort of old religious hangover? Women being considered "unclean" while menstruating? This appears to have been the case in few religions. (Not that I'm any expert on religions, mind.)

There are still religious sites in Java, for example, where women are requested to not enter if they are menstruating. Signs out the front of them, in a number of languages. (I am absolutely not making this up. I've seen, with my own eyes! Smile )

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 05:33 pm
I worked for a family shelter at the end of the 80s, and the beginning of the 90s. We provided nearly everything for the families until they could get back on their feet. That meant that, from time to time, it was necessary to purchase "sanitary napkins" and tampons, and disposable diapers, in very large numbers, in the interest of keeping costs down.

It never bothered me to do it--and the women who worked there were happy to have me do it, because they didn't want to go to a store and buy those items in such quantities. For me, it was no problem. I'd be pushing one shopping cart filled with sanitary napkins and tampons, and pulling a second one loaded with disposable diapers.

What? Grown ups don't know about these things? What is there to be embarrassed about?
msolga

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 05:49 pm
@Setanta,
Well, I guess, it's what the grown-up concerned is familiar with, Setanta. If you haven't ever done such a thing before perhaps it is a bit confronting?

Like buying condoms over the counter at the chemist's, if you've never done it before, perhaps? I know that was quite an awkward experience.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 05:59 pm
@Setanta,
i never get that either, i've known guys who refuse to pick up tampons or pads for their wives or girlfriends

weird