Tampon makers can’t mention the V word. Period.

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 06:24 pm
@djjd62,
Not only weird, djjd, but rather mean & silly at the same time, too, I think.

It's no big deal .... once you've done it a couple of times. Smile

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 06:31 pm
@msolga,
vigorish
vaccinia
volute
viminalis
virtuoso
valedictory forbidding mourning
vagus nerve

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 06:44 pm
@ossobuco,
Smile
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 08:32 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

That's really interesting, Diest.

Maybe it's the last taboo?

(Though I think today's kids are much better on this. You should hear them discussing (without snickering, even! But with lots of enthusiasm for the subject! ) what they've learned in health ed & science classes! Smile )

But I was just thinking ...

The "taboo area" appears to be (regarding women, anyway) about menstruation, definitely not sexual practices.

I'm wondering if this is some sort of old religious hangover? Women being considered "unclean" while menstruating? This appears to have been the case in few religions. (Not that I'm any expert on religions, mind.)

There are still religious sites in Java, for example, where women are requested to not enter if they are menstruating. Signs out the front of them, in a number of languages. (I am absolutely not making this up. I've seen, with my own eyes! Smile )

I think there may be something to the idea of it as a religious artifact.

As for children, it's true. They are curious, and often... too curious. Too grabby.

Puberty has few survivors.

T
K
O
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 08:44 pm
Just trying to figure out what the problem was (continuously) when I tried to post this video yesterday. Nothing worked.

If you haven't seen the Kotex advertisement in the first post yet (assuming this works!) check it out. It is quite something! Wink

Let's see if this attempt does the trick:

Guardian article: Tampon makers can't mention the V word. Period.:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/richard-adams-blog/2010/mar/16/tampon-vagina-kotex-advertising

Attempt #2 of the same video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpypeLL1dAs&feature=player_embedded
Diest TKO

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 08:53 pm
@msolga,
Now that is funny.

T
K
O
msolga

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 08:55 pm
@Diest TKO,
Isn't it though! Very Happy

Glad you enjoyed it, Diest.
Diest TKO

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 09:00 pm
@msolga,
I think I lost it when she was like "I like when they use blue liquid. I'm like, oh. That's what's supposed to happen!"

Tampons
K
O
msolga

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 09:04 pm
@Diest TKO,
Ha! Yes. She finally understood! Smile

I think the twirling in slow motion in white see-through wispy garment did it for me!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 09:46 pm
Oh, honestly. I've read through all three pages of this thread...has NO ONE HERE heard of "The Vagina Monologues"? Eve Ensler? C'mon, people!
Diest TKO

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 09:49 pm
@Eva,
There are V-day performances of the Vagina Monologues going on in many cities next weekend. I've had a few facebook invites to come see performances.

T
K
O
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 10:45 pm
@msolga,
Heh, very cute.

One night while I was at a house party, I went into the bathroom to get rid of a few quarts of beer...and while I was doing my business....it takes awhile to offload that much beer....I, as most men probably do, got bored and started looking around the room, being a construction worker, I of course checked out the flooring, and the baseboards...the vanity was a nice oak piece....oops just pissed in the trashcan a bit.....the wood trim looked really nice, and the sink top had a very well placed caulk bead...then I saw something that I'll never forget.

An open box of tampons lying on the floor beside the toilet...I think I might have even pissed on them a bit, while admiring the light fixture in the ceiling....at first I didn't pay any real attention, just glanced and looked away....the same way one might glance away when spotting a friends tube of herpes medicine lying about....oh, thats a private thing, I really shouldn't look. But it was too late, the image that was still fresh in my mind, was puzzling me, it simply could not be real....so I had to look again.

Now, being a younger man, I was no expert in these matters, but I had been married for long enough to have delt with tampons and their boxes on a regular basis....My new wife was much like a squirrel, stashing them everywhere, just in case of an emergency.....a few examples....going for a late night bowl of cereal, and pulling the box down and starting a tampon avalanche.....not being able to get a vhs tape in the vcr, cause of all the tampons hidden in there....my tools on the floor because my tool box was full of tampons....some stashed in the mircowave, the cookie jar....and naturally the glove box of both our vehicles, and the next door neighbors as well.

Ok, I think you get the picture....I knew exactly just how much space a standard tampon took up....it's volume. This box, that I had seen, which would hold the standard amount of 25, only held 6 big-0-ass huge cotton mop sized tampons. I thought they had to be some kind of gag gift, something you might find at a novelty shop, but they were the real deal with the namebrand and logo stamped all over the box. So of course with my runaway imagination going 90 mph, I got a vison of some old women, in a musty old farmhouse, setting at spinning wheels, deep in the Russian interior, toiling all day to produce enough filler for a case of these things...and then the happy couple getting said shipment, from the UPS man, in an old style wooden crate, with nails that they have to use a crowbar to open.

For the rest of the party, I pretty much kept my head down, cause things would get spilled and someone would yell....hey, I can't find the mop...or...ok, how many are staying the night, cause we don't have a lot of extra pillows.....to which I kept whispering to my new bride....they're in the bathroom...and then I would giggle for 20 min.
roger

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 10:49 pm
@2PacksAday,
Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 03:33 pm
@2PacksAday,
Smile
You certainly know how to spin a yarn, 2Packs!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 03:53 pm
@Eva,
Quote:
Oh, honestly. I've read through all three pages of this thread...has NO ONE HERE heard of "The Vagina Monologues"? Eve Ensler? C'mon, people!

Hi Eve

I think The Vagina Monologues was actually mentioned once, in a video that the tsar posted here. But point taken.

I suspect that there are actually quite a few here (especially women) who know it well. I haven't actually seen the Monologues performed, only listened on audio tape. Quite a long time ago, so my memory of the details is a little hazy. I recall really liking parts of what I heard & not being too keen on other parts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vagina_Monologues

But anyway, for those of you who are unfamiliar with The Vagina Monologues, here's a video clip to give you some idea of what it's about. I tried to find an example that directly related to the subject of tampons & menstruation on YouTube, but was unsuccessful. But the was plenty on this particular monologue: the weird & wonderful varieties of orgasmic moans. So here you go:

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 04:05 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
Why is it so hard to say vagina?

Because Americans are pussies. No wonder they don't have the balls to say the word.
msolga

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 04:12 pm
@Thomas,
Oooooooh, that's harsh, Thomas! Wink
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 04:31 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

msolga wrote:

I'm wondering if that's right, Diest? Or if you have your tongue in your cheek here?

Or if it is the case, that perhaps it's not "right" to say vagina or penis in "polite society"? (Much the same as there was a taboo on publicly saying **** in polite society not all that long ago .... but now it seems, everyone's saying it. Even vice presidents!)

But in terms of the advertising industry & these super coy tampon ads, where does that sort of modesty come from, I wonder? Is it what the advertising industry has somehow collectively decided what is acceptable or not, or is it reflecting the (somehow perceived ) values of the society? Or is it the television networks being super cautious?
It certainly seems a very quaint attitude at this point in time!

Sadly, I'm being serious. In my time as a wellness educator in college, I had to have many serious talks with people/groups, and these words are still treated like the cue for a laugh track. It really pisses me off.

Sexual health practices in the USA are pathetic. We can't talk about our bodies without snickering in the back of the room.

"Man is the only animal that blushes." ~Mark Twain

There is nothing impolite about acknowledging our bodies.
K
O

Quite similar to contact highs when individuals get stoned from 2nd hand pot smoke, many American's are getting 2nd hand discomfiture from the implications of your past occupation. Embarrassed
msolga

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 05:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
I read your comment, tsar, & I'm sort of not clear about what you're saying here.

Of course, this could be because I'm not long out of bed this morning & not yet fully awake. Wink

Could you explain a wee bit more?
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 05:22 pm
@msolga,
I'm not sure I know what I mean either. How coincidental, I just woke up from a 2 hour nap before writing that post as well.

I think I was trying to facetiously suggest Americans get embarrassed too quickly that they would feel discomfortable standing next to a sex education teacher even if the teacher never mentioned a single note on his topic of expertise by simply standing in the same room as the Americans.