ebrown p

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 04:30 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
I've found the best way to challenge authority is to ask questions and be persistant in wanting provable answers.

Impossible.

Most answers are simply not provable. The problem is you have to accept something-- so most of us just pretend our answers are provable.

((Atheists have the hardest time understanding this)).

0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 04:33 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

You probably don't question authority you do agree with because that would mean questioning yourself.
yeah.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 04:36 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Other than religious believers who are in complete agreement with their god/God/authority figure, is anyone in complete agreement with anyone else? Seems like an odd idea to me.

it is an odd idea, unfortunately it's all too often true. I think very few people actually question those with whom they are in agreement.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 04:45 pm
@dyslexia,
Maybe I'm particularly suspicious, or mebbe Big Al was a better teacher than I thought, but there's really no one I wouldn't question about something. I take very little on faith.

Actually, nothing on faith.

I believe that people need water to survive, but not because I am in complete agreement with the scientists who did those studies. I believe the science, not the people.
ebrown p

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 05:04 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:

I believe that people need water to survive, but not because I am in complete agreement with the scientists who did those studies. I believe the science, not the people.

Sure. That is an example of a belief that is backed in science. But, you have lots of beliefs that have no backing in science.

Do you believe in non-violence? That all people are equal? Do you believe in human rights? Do you believe that rape is bad?

I happen to believe in all of these things-- not a one of them can be backed by science.

Everyone has faith.

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 05:11 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Other than religious believers who are in complete agreement with their god/God/authority figure, is anyone in complete agreement with anyone else? Seems like an odd idea to me.

Well, any number of people on this site would have never questioned the insane and inane policies of George W. Bush, no matter what he did.

(I know, I know, all you neocons salivating out there -- the same can be said for the rabid Obama backers.)
roger

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 05:19 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I guess I can reveal some of my thinking. I questioned Bush, mostly when I disagreed with him. I question Obama when I do agree, mostly while killing time and waiting for the other shoe to drop.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 07:57 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
Everyone has faith.

apparently that is something you believe.

"Believing in" things is not the same as believing things. There are facts I believe. They are science/observation-based. I don't play much in the world of "believe in". Religion, politics, voodoo - those are believe-ins.

~~~

Dys's thought was about questioning people we agree with. I don't agree 100% with anyone. I might agree with much of what some people say, but it's never been total agreement. I question, question, question. That's how I was raised and educated.

There are no people I believe 100%.

There are no gods/Gods I believe in.

ebrown p

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 08:04 pm
@ehBeth,
EhBeth, let me ask directly (I thought I was clear in the point)...

Do you believe in human rights?
Do you believe that society should not accept rape?
Do you believe that women are equal to men?
Do you believe human life is intrinsically valuable?

I believe all of these things are true-- however I can not prove any one of them scientifically (even though I was trained in science).

I thought we agreed on the definition of "faith" as something you believe without scientific proof. If this is the definition, I don't think it is possible to live without faith.

I am questioning that your world view is superior to that of any religion. If the measure is whether you believe things that can't be proven, I don't believe you are any different then them. It is just the things you believe without proof are different then the things they believe without proof.
0 Replies