Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 09:40 am
There is a common expression that goes generally "always question authority" and I don't have any problem with that but, perhaps it's just my personality, I'm far more inclined to question authorities I agree with than ones I don't. Anyway It seems to me that people who say they question authority really mean they question authority that they disagree with and not those they agree with.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 3,116 • Replies: 28
No top replies

aidan

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 09:51 am
@dyslexia,
I agree. My father and my best friend gave me the best advice I've ever gotten in terms of whether to question authority or not - and that was to 'consider the source' and that was literally to consider the source objectively - not only based on my own biased and subjective standards.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 09:57 am
As I get older, I question authority more. I am thinking of doctors, religion, health, politics.

I am not afraid to question the authority of a priest, for example, or a therapist, local government, or schools.

I am careful, however, not to "challenge authority" as easily. Of course, I am thinking of the IRS.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 10:10 am
Better not question certain kinds of authority. The IRS has already been mentioned. When I was teaching budding juvenile delinquents I used to advise them to not ever argue with the police or to give cops a hard time. Why? Because, I told them, even if you're in the right and the police are in the wong, you"re gonna lose. No question about it.
Linkat

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 10:17 am
@Merry Andrew,
My husband will do that - question a police officer - I told him why? He has the authority, fight it later if needed, but why the heck would you get him pissed at you - just guarantees you will get a ticket.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 10:47 am
Disagreeing in any way but in a very polite manner with men/women with guns and the color of the law behind them at a scene is unwise.

That does not mean if the situation and their behaviors call for it that going to the police station and filing out a complain or talking to your lawyer and so on can and should not be done afterward.

If nothing else their superiors will not be happy with them for causing him a problem due to their behaviors.

Linkat

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 11:04 am
@BillRM,
Please tell my husband that.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 11:49 am
@BillRM,
Totally agree with you, Bill. The proper thing to do is file a complaint later. At the scene, it's wise to be as polite and accommodating as possible. Again, even if you're right, you're a-gonna lose the argument. The power is all on the side of the man/woman in uniform.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 11:55 am
A friend of mine has a bumper sticker that says

"Question authority in light of God's Word".

Somehow this says it all.

0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 12:18 pm
I drove my teachers crazy when I asked questions to suport the basis of their claims. I've found the best way to challenge authority is to ask questions and be persistant in wanting provable answers.

BBB
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 12:29 pm
I go my own way, mostly. If authority agrees with me, fine. I make exceptions of the kind some of you mentioned, such as how to treat the police and paying taxes.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 02:51 pm
The caliber of the police officers in a local town near me makes me shudder.

I challenged one at the police station in front of his superior officer. A real he said/ she said thing. When he said he would get the tape recording of the traffic stop, I said, 'good, that will clear up everything." Guess what? The "tape" had been erased (I doubt if there ever was one.)

The guy was a f@cking liar and it still makes me seeth when I think of it. I am glad I challenged it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 03:06 pm
wow did this thread get off topic or what?
Rockhead

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 03:07 pm
@dyslexia,
you need a troll.

keep things focused and stuff...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 03:08 pm
@dyslexia,
What is the basis of your assertation?
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 03:12 pm
@dyslexia,
Hey Dys...about the authority you don't agree with - what do you do? I believe I generally do question authority I don't agree with. I am going to think about it a bit and see if I can figure out why...other than the obvious not agreeing with them...
roger

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 03:18 pm
@mismi,
You probably don't question authority you do agree with because that would mean questioning yourself.
Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 04:07 pm
@roger,
Yeah, right. Why would I question someone or something in authority if I know I'm in complete agreement with that authority figure?
roger

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 04:13 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Fortunately, I don't know any authorities with whom I agree.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 04:18 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Other than religious believers who are in complete agreement with their god/God/authority figure, is anyone in complete agreement with anyone else? Seems like an odd idea to me.