Price on Nissan Leaf announced

chai2

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 01:08 pm
I want one.
$25,000 after $7,500 tax credit.
For an extra $950 you can get a rear view camera and a solar panel mounted on a spoiler
Has a range of 100 miles.
I can't remember the last time I drove my car that much in a day. If I need to go on a trip, I'll rent a car.
You can program it to charge during off peak hours. It'll charge for pennies.
You can pre-heat or pre-cool the car if it's plugged in. Great for August in Central Texas.

Maybe I wouldn't get one the first year. I'll wait for bugs to be worked out.

Nissan Leaf Electric Car Priced at $32,780
By JIM MOTAVALLI

The 2011 Nissan Leaf will go on sale at the end of the year.
The 2011 Nissan Leaf battery electric car, which will go on sale in the United States in December, will have a manufacturers suggested retail price of $32,780, a Nissan spokesman, Mark Perry, said Tuesday morning. Nissan prefers to describe the price as $25,280 inclusive of a $7,500 federal income tax credit.

According to Mr. Perry, the standard SV trim level will include many options, including a navigation system, automatic temperature control, an audio system with satellite radio and remote control features that will allow the car to be both preheated and precooled while connected to a wall outlet.

For $940, customers can move up to SL trim, which includes a rearview camera, foglights and a spoiler-mounted solar panel. The Leaf can also be leased. Customers can put $1,999 down and pay $349 a month, Mr. Perry said. The Leaf home charger (called “a charging dock” and built and installed by Nissan partner AeroVironment) will be sold for $2,200, or leased for $30 a month. Consumers can also get a federal tax credit for installing a charger, equal to 50 percent of the total cost up to $2,000.

Nissan said it has a list of 85,000 “hand raisers” who have indicated an interest in the car. On April 20, these people will be offered a chance to move to reservation status, which involves paying a refundable $99 reservation fee. Reservations trigger a visit from a certified electrician, who will make a written estimate of what it will cost to install a charging dock.

Delivery of the cars will begin in 20 launch markets (including Washington State, Oregon, California, Arizona, Tennessee, Texas, Florida, North Carolina and Massachusetts). By the end of 2011, Nissan expects the car to be available nationwide.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 2,832 • Replies: 14
No top replies

chai2

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 01:10 pm
It'd be nice if it carried a one gallon tank, and emergency engine.

I'm just sayin'

http://ridingonsunshine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/nissan-leaf.jpg
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 01:34 pm
@chai2,
What's the range if you use the air conditioner and headlights.
chai2

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 01:44 pm
@roger,
4 miles.

How the h e double toothpicks would I know?

any other questions?
farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 01:45 pm
@chai2,
One of the dirty secrets about hybrids and ALL electrics is the "range" issue. If you live in an area that is either really hot or really cold, your mileage will vary significantly. WHY? because heat and AC are run by electricity and will heavily draw your amps.
I bought a slightly used hybrid and I love it. However, I wouldnt pay the higher cost because when you do a budget, the amount of mileage lost in extreme wether, takes my hybrid down to about 24 mpg (and remember a hybrid has a main gas engine) .
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 01:47 pm
@chai2,
Yes. How long does the battery last, and what does the replacement cost?

h e double toothpicks? Laaazie!
farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 01:54 pm
@roger,
battery tech is pretty robust now. My hybrid has a 10 year unconditional warranty on the Li battery.

The batteries are killers, like 7kw
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 03:25 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

any other questions?

Do you feel generous enough to buy me a Tesla Roadster?
http://www.autoweek.com/storyimage/CW/20091211/CARREVIEWS/912109988/2010-Tesla-Roadster-Sport.jpg
It's completely electric!
Quote:
Acceleration 0 to 60 mph in 3.9 seconds
Range 244 miles EPA combined city/highway
Top Speed 125 mph
Charging As short as 3.5 hours for a complete cycle (partial cycles are faster)

roger

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 05:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
By "buy me", I suppose you are inquiring as to how much taxpayer subsidy you are entitled to. Probably about the same as the Leaf.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 06:33 pm
@roger,
No ... I literally am asking Chai if she would mind purchasing a Tesla Roadster as a gift for me. A $130,000 dollar gift at that. Cool Razz
roger

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 07:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oh, well that's okay, then.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 08:48 am
Why are hybrid cars so gawd damn ugly? Who designs these cars?
farmerman

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 09:25 am
@CalamityJane,
HEY HEY HEY, watch it mama. My little ESCAPE (we call it sparky) is kinda not so ugly. The Japanese hybrids ARE FUGLY, no doubt.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 09:57 am
@CalamityJane,
oy! I like the way the jellybeans look.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 10:07 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Why are hybrid cars so gawd damn ugly? Who designs these cars?

The Leaf isn't a hybrid, it's totally electric.

The Chevy Volt is going to have a range of 40 miles electric, and will then kick over to a gas engine.

I like the idea of the Volt better, since you won't get stuck somewhere.

Plus, from the way I'm reading it, you'll be able to plug a Volt directly into any electric recepticle at your home. It sounds like the Leaf needs this approx $2K charging station.
Or, if you buy a more expensive one, you get a credit up to 50%.

Going back and forth to work, and after work activities, I probably go about 25 to 30 miles during weekdays.

The Volt apparantly is going to cost more, but you've got the advantage (IMO) of the gas backup engine, and the ability to charge it without extra devices to buy.

Here's a picture of the Volt.

http://www.growthology.org/photos/uncategorized/2008/09/16/chevy_volt.jpg

It's still no Tesla.
Sorry Tsar, that's a bit out of my league
0 Replies