OK, we have now bested the lunacy of sexting charges

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 12:31 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Did they perpetrate violence against u ?
only twice was it physical, once a girl threw a fairly large rock at my head, once I was shoved into the mud on the way to the bus. I was a fat kid, it was mostly taunting, normally the bullies were in a group of 3-5.

I was and am a big believer in non-violence....I did not fight back on principle, but I sure as **** was never going to let them dictate to me what I did either.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 12:33 am
@hawkeye10,
I suppose having lived through it for about 4 years that I don't have a lot of sympathy for victims. I was never a victim, and they only are if they choose to be.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 12:42 am
@hawkeye10,
David wrote:
Did they perpetrate violence against u ?
hawkeye10 wrote:

only twice was it physical, once a girl threw a fairly large rock at my head,
U coud have had the police on her, regardless of gender, for that use of a weapon.

hawkeye10 wrote:
once I was shoved into the mud on the way to the bus.
I was a fat kid, it was mostly taunting, normally the bullies were in a group of 3-5.
Undoubtedly, the perpetrators woud have alleged an accident.

hawkeye10 wrote:
I was and am a big believer in non-violence
How does that affect your relationship with the Army ?

David
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 12:50 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
How does that affect your relationship with the Army ?
that was certainly a problem for a few years, I did not want my wife to join. However, the army life was not what I expected, I loved the family that a good unit becomes. After a few years I Began to appreciate the warrior ethos more than I had from books, for instance learning about the Samurai in my zen training.

There will be no guns in my house though, force is only applied when required and we dont need them here. I did relent and allowed my wife to take the kids out on the range with guns.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 01:04 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
U could have had the police on her, regardless of gender, for that use of a weapon.
that was the only time that I remember telling my parents.....the only time that I decided that I needed help. There was a confab between the parents with the girl and I there....the end result was that I never had trouble with her again. Perhaps the calling the cops idea was in play, but I dont remember anyone considering the idea. this was 1972 after all, people back then took some pride in being able to work out problems without the help of outsiders.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 01:33 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
I did relent and allowed my wife to take the kids out on the range with guns.
What did thay fire ?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 01:38 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
What did thay fire ?
only the boy wanted to go, and IDK. He says that he is going to West Point, loves all things army.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 01:43 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Quote:
What did thay fire ?
only the boy wanted to go, and IDK. He says that he is going to West Point, loves all things army.
Did u ask him what he fired ?
How old is he ?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 10:32 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
ya, it was a 9mm....they do a lot of paintball too but that is a different thing.

he is 16,
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 01:22 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
ya, it was a 9mm....they do a lot of paintball too but that is a different thing.

he is 16,
Pistol? 9mm has very little recoil; almost nothing.

David
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 12:19 am
Quote:
By Richard Cohen
Tuesday, April 6, 2010

After a lengthy investigation, District Attorney Elizabeth D. Scheibel had nine students arrested on criminal charges. At the same time, she alleged that while the teenagers had tormented Phoebe to the point where she hanged herself, teachers and administrators were somehow complicit because they knew -- or should have known -- that Phoebe was being bullied by a coterie of aspiring fascists. Phoebe was a newcomer from Ireland and thus, as anyone with the slightest novelist bent would know, the stranger with no champions, no defenders and, in her mind, no way out.

This appalling story, seemingly concocted for the "Today" show's heavy-eyed audience, has of course created quite a stir because it is about cruelty, which we do not understand; lack of empathy, which we find frightening; and conformity and coercion. But mostly it is about how little we know our kids, the little beasts who live among us and can sleep with a teddy bear by night and text-message a 15-year-old colleen to her death by day. Who are these kids?

You will notice that in all the finger-pointing -- the students, the teachers, the administrators -- not a digit is aimed at the parents. Their children are accused of hounding a classmate to death and the parents apparently knew nothing. Not only that, they are somehow not expected to know anything. The teachers are supposed to know what's going on. The principal. Maybe even the school nurse. But the parents? No. They're off the hook.

Not as far as I'm concerned. This tendency to blame teachers or administrators for all that happens in the schools is both unfair and unrealistic
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/05/AR2010040503549.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

I agree
dadpad

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 02:07 am
Had a discussion today centered around "sexting" and "(nude)camming"

we came to the conclusion that this kind of activity is the new "skinny dipping" and in fact probably less risky behavior in the short term. After all these kids are (usually) safe in their bedrooms when they take these pics.

The problem of course is that pics and video's make their way onto the net and never go away unlike a naughty summer skinny dip that becomes a naughty memory only in the minds of the few who took part.

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 03:20 am
@dadpad,
this thread is totally not about sexting,but out of curiosity who potentially has this alleged problem, the person in the pic/video, or those who might end up seeing it when they dont want to?

The script goes that they are kids and are too stupid to manage this, they might regret it after they reach the magical age of majority so we must sic the cops on them. To me this is an insult to teens and preteens. And if they do regret it later then this has the potential to be a good life lesson. Either way no real harm done, and our being uptight says a lot about us.
Linkat

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 03:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
I disagree with "article?" - in regard to not blaming the parents. A huge amount of what I have been hearing in the news and other media is blaming the parents and the possibility of these parents having to pay huge amounts in liability if Phoebe's family decides to sue.

But this is local for me - so I am more likely hearing much more than what is being broadcast nationally.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 03:05 pm
@Linkat,
ya, I heard that they hired legal....was the claim that the school personal have a liability shield not correct? One article said that the parents of the girl were thinking of going after the school, wonder who exactly might be getable.
Linkat

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 03:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yep - this is going to get ugly I'm sure.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 01:15 am
Quote:
In announcing the charges, District Attorney Elizabeth Scheibel described "a nearly three-month campaign of verbally abusive, assaultive behavior and threats of physical harm . . . relentless activity directed toward Phoebe, designed to humiliate her and to make it impossible for her to remain at school." The bullying, Scheibel said, "far exceeded the limits of normal teenage relationship-related quarrels."

How does she know -- and do we routinely want prosecutors making these calls? Slate's Emily Bazelon reported that among South Hadley students, "the prevailing sentiment was that, yes, Phoebe had been mistreated but not in some unprecedented way. 'A lot of it was normal girl drama,' one girl told me. 'If you want to label it bullying, then I've bullied girls and girls have bullied me. . . . It was one of the worst things I've heard of some girls doing to another girl. But it wouldn't have hurt most people that much.' "

The criminalization of bullying risks a slippery slope down the age range.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/06/AR2010040601901.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

DAMN RIGHT!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 01:42 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
this thread is totally not about sexting

Say what?
Thread title
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 01:47 am
@dadpad,
Quote:

Criminalizing sexting was crazy, but criminalizing with felony charges harassment in High School is worse.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 01:35 am
Quote:
The documents did little to end the disagreement over how much school officials knew about Ms. Prince’s hazing. Her parents say that before the start of school in September, Ms. Prince’s aunt told an assistant principal that Phoebe had been bullied at school in Ireland and might need help, according to the parents’ spokesman, Darby O’Brien.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/09/us/09bully.html?hp

it is not all all surprising that she has a record of being a victim, and she almost certainly was at home as well. Given the family situation only an idiot would not look to see if this girl was destabilized by sexual abuse.

We now have to seriously consider if the reason she killed herself was the her escape to America had failed, the she felt trapped in what ever went down in that family and by her social situation at school, where she was clearly incompetent.