OK, we have now bested the lunacy of sexting charges

maporsche

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 12:28 pm
Are you guys finding some way to get out of this 4/1 lockout?

It's funny and all, but I'd like to read some new posts......
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 12:32 pm
@maporsche,
same queston...I think they are trying to force us to use the things that they are proud of, like the popularity bullshit, because you will notice the popular post tap is the only one that still works other than unanswered.

Coercion made to look like humor, great idea!

Edit: my topics still works as well.
maporsche

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 12:55 pm
@hawkeye10,
I even 'tabbed' over to the 'Opt me out!' button (since you can't click it, but you can tab to it)....didn't work.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 01:07 pm
@maporsche,
yep, WHat, you are not amused?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 01:14 pm
Don't go to 'new posts' or even 'my posts.' If you go to 'my topics' or 'my tags' you'll get the current listings. At least that works for me. Of course, if nobody's posting on those threads, you're outta luck. I've been told that another method is to go to 'my friends.' If you're set up to be following anybody, you can read their posts. As I'm not stalker and, hence, amnot 'following' anybody, that doesn't wwork for me.
Linkat

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 01:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
Righttttt.....called saving my butt.
Linkat

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 01:18 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Doesn't work for me - I don't have any friends.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 01:22 pm
@Merry Andrew,
ya, the point being that those of us who have resisted the new a2k, dont use the tabs, friends and the like are fucked today. The only two navigation tools I use are myposts and newposts, on purpose becuase I want to keep my a2k experience as much like the old a2k as I can.....me and those like me are the ones being punished today.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 01:25 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
Righttttt.....called saving my butt.

how do you figure? There is a civil liability shield in place, and the DA has already decided not to charge the adults, there is little to no risk of saying that they knew earlier.
Linkat

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 02:31 pm
@hawkeye10,
His job - the jobs of the teachers - and elections just happen to be next week.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 02:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
Also, this morning some one called in that was a teacher at the school - wouldn't give any more details out of fear of losing her job (or perhaps bullying by her peers and administration). Said Phoebe was not in any of her classes and that some of the bullies were. And yes bullying was well known. And the teachers are upset at the superintent and what he is saying.

No teachers have come forward because the teachers because of their contracts are not allowed to speak with the press.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 04:45 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
No teachers have come forward because the teachers because of their contracts are not allowed to speak with the press.
they can however talk to the police and the DA, can be compelled to in fact. I simply do not believe that the administrators would claim that they knew nothing until the week before if there is anyone who would give testimony otherwise. There is no way this lie does not get found out.

Unless word comes out otherwise, I have to think that the school administration is telling the truth.
firefly

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 10:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

Star-Telegram
Joshua teen had become target of bullying, friends and family say

Posted Wednesday, March 31, 2010

By EVA-MARIE AYALA and YAMIL BERARD

JOSHUA -- Pictures in a slide show at the funeral home Wednesday night showed a smiling, sandy-haired boy with round cheeks playing in the snow, posing in sports uniforms and straddling a motorcycle.

That's because Jon Carmichael, 13, was always a happy kid, his friends said.

What the photos didn't show was the despair that led him to take his own life Sunday. Friends and family say he had become the target of bullies at Loflin Middle School.

"Some students would brag about what they did to him because they thought it was funny," said his friend and neighbor Felicity Zaicek, 14. "They put him in trash cans, stripped him down and even put him in a locker once.

"It's not funny."

Carmichael was smaller than some other boys his age, which made him a target for teasing, his family said. An incident Friday during an athletics class may have been the last straw, they said.

"Something has got to be done about this bullying," his aunt Crystal Locke said. "It's just not right. If you don't have the right kind of shoes or jeans or are a little bit different than everybody else, then that's it. They pick on you."

Dozens of students, friends and relatives crowded into the Mountain Valley Funeral Home in Joshua on Wednesday night for the visitation. A Star-Telegram reporter was there with the Carmichael family's permission.

Authorities said Carmichael hanged himself in a barn near his family home on the outskirts of Cleburne. He was the second Johnson County teenager to kill himself in the last six months, and in both cases, the families attributed the deaths, in part, to bullying.

In October, Hunter Layland, a 15-year-old freshman at Cleburne High School, shot himself, his family said.

In Northampton, Mass., prosecutors announced this week that they had filed charges against nine teenagers accused of harassing Phoebe Prince, 15, who committed suicide in January. Two teenage boys are charged with rape, and seven girls are charged with stalking, criminal harassment and violating Prince's civil rights. School officials won't be charged, even though authorities say that they knew about the bullying and that Prince's mother took her concerns to at least two of them.

Bullying has been around forever, but only in the last decade has the term "bullycide" been used to describe young people's suicides attributed to bullying. The term was coined by Neil Marr, author of the 2001 book Bullycide: Death at Playtime.

"You've got a problem," said Barbara Coloroso, an anti-bullying consultant, about the two Johnson County suicides. Bullycide is proof of "our failure as parents and educators to recognize the severity of it and to recognize and accept that some of our children may be bullied."

Johnson County Sheriff Bob Alford said his investigators are satisfied that Carmichael's death was self-inflicted. His department has not received a complaint about bullying, and no note was found at the scene, Alford said.

"A complaint would have to be made that some sort of a criminal act precipitated this," he said. "Anytime there is a suicide, there will be mitigating factors. But in this case, we really don't know what the cause of this was."

If new information is brought forth, he will take another look, Alford said, but investigators are not pursuing new leads at this time.

School officials are investigating, Joshua Superintendent Ray Dane said, but pursuing criminal charges has not been discussed.
http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/03/31/2081941/joshua-teen-had-become-target.html

Quote:

Bully of Suicide Teen Being Threatened
{CBS) Funeral services were to be held Thursday for a Texas teenager who committed suicide, apparently after being bullied by classmates.

Jon Carmichael, 13, of Joshua, took his own life Sunday, reports CBS News Correspondent Don Teague.

The eighth-grader had apparently been teased and bullied because of his small size, Teague says.

Classmate Chris Montelongo admits he picked on Carmichael, but insists he wasn't alone. "I wasn't the only one," Montelongo says. "I can guarantee you it was most of the school who messed with Jon."

Montelongo adds that, despite the teasing, he considered Carmichael a friend. "At times," he says, "I did bully him. But it was just both of us just messing around. I never did it because I hated him."

Now, Montelongo says other kids are blaming him for Carmichael's death.

And his mother, Leticia Montelongo, says she worries about his safety, and picks him up from school because "he's been threatened."

Chris Montelongo voiced his regrets, saying, "The things I have done to him, I just wish I could take it back -- but now that he's gone, I can't do anything about it."
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/04/01/earlyshow/main6353299.shtml
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 11:30 pm
@firefly,
a lot of kids kill themselves, some have been bullied and some have not......do you have a point?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 11:53 pm
@hawkeye10,

I gotta say:
thru my entire education, kindergarten thru doctorate, I don 't remember seeing anyone get bullied anywhere.
For sure, it did not happen to me, but if it HAD happened, and in the extremely unlikely possibility
that I had decided that death is the answer, there is no chance that I 'd inflict death upon myself, the victim.

In the very nearly inconceivable (to me) situation that I, David, were going to kill anyone,
for sure it woud have been THE BAD GUYS, not myself,
inconsistent history of other people to the contrary notwithstanding.

As a practical matter, I 'd have used the mechanisms of the school and if necessary,
of the police if actual violence had been involved, and sought the aid of legal counsel,
to abate the nuisance, unless of course I became the victim
of a life-threatening emergency. Then I 'd have shot them.

That might be attended by some unpleasant circumstances,
but u gotta do what u gotta do and whatever that IS, is better than suicide.

David
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 11:58 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
you are not a victim, you were never at risk. I think that we need to keep bullies in line, but we need to put equal if not more effort into reforming victims.

I suspect that you and i agree on this david....if a person is not willing to defend themselves they deserve what they get.
firefly

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 12:07 am
@hawkeye10,

Why are you blaming the victim by saying they deserve what they get if they don't defend themselves?

How do you think the 15 year old girl in Massachusetts, or the 13 year old boy in Texas, should have defended themselves? What exactly should a child do when they are being bullied by a group?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 12:11 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
you are not a victim, you were never at risk. I think that we need to keep bullies in line,
I favor Andy 's philosophy on that point.

hawkeye10 wrote:
but we need to put equal if not more effort into reforming victims.

I suspect that you and i agree on this david....
if a person is not willing to defend themselves they deserve what they get.
I 'm not going to go THAT far, Hawkeye.
I 'm not going to say that if a timid student
fails to aggressively defend himself or herself
that capital punishment is in order, in the discretion of the abuser.

If I said THAT, then I 'd have to say that Reginald Denny DESERVED
to get stomped for almost an hour because he was unarmed.
I 'm not going that far.

David
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 12:14 am
@firefly,
Quote:
How do you think the 15 year old girl in Massachusetts, or the 13 year old boy in Texas, should have defended themselves? What exactly should a child do when they are being bullied by a group
when I was bullied by a group my defense was to decide " **** them" , and from that point on I hung out with the other uncool kids.....we had a great time.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 12:18 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
How do you think the 15 year old girl in Massachusetts, or the 13 year old boy in Texas, should have defended themselves? What exactly should a child do when they are being bullied by a group
when I was bullied by a group my defense was to decide " **** them" , and from that point on I hung out with the other uncool kids.....we had a great time.
Did thay perpetrate violence against u ?

David