Brewer wins right to name a beer "******* Hell"

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 11:33 am
Just to clarify:
******* is a hamlet in Austria, part of the municipality of Tarsdorf, in the Innviertel region of the Austrian Land ('state') Upper Austria.
http://i43.tinypic.com/289br5k.jpg
Hell is the German name for any 'pale lager' beer.
http://i42.tinypic.com/s4075e.jpg

Quote:
A brewery now has the legal right to release a beer called 'F**king' after winning a battle with the European Patent Office.

Stefan Fellenberg had initially been told by the European Patent Office that his brewery could not use the name for a beer as it was offensive.

But after three years of legal wrangling he appears to have somehow managed to convince them his proposed 'F**king Hell' brew is actually named after a village in Austria and not the rude word.

Because F**king is a real place name, officials were helpless to prevent him from releasing the beer. Equally the 'Hell' in the title obviously comes form the German word for larger Helles.

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 3,407 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 11:46 am
Gotta love the vagaries of cross-cultural concerns!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 12:04 pm
Actually, there's no brewery in ******* until now. And it's not clear if the beer will be brewed there.

In Germany, we've got some more places: in Bavaria, for instance, Kissing and Petting, in Saxony-Anhalt it's Pissen (to piss) and Pißdorf ('piss village') ...

Spiegel-online: Controversial Brand Name
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 12:24 pm
American VP Biden ought to get paid as a spokesperson for the brand.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 12:33 pm
no ******* in one town in newfoundland canada, they got it alone (well the women mostly, i guess)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f2/DildoNewfoundland.jpg/450px-DildoNewfoundland.jpg

Dildo is a town on the island of Newfoundland in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. It is located on the southeastern Dildo Arm of Trinity Bay about 100 kilometres northwest of St. John's. South Dildo is a neighbouring unincorporated community. The town's unusual name has brought it a certain amount of notoriety in the same vein as *******, Austria; Anus, France; Hell, Michigan and Hell, Norway.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 01:17 am
Don't forget Climax Saskatchewan.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 03:14 am
Geez, what's next for you wild Europeans? Are the laws suddenly going to allow parents to name their kids what ever they want now too?
roger

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 03:20 am
@hawkeye10,
Very Happy
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 04:20 am

Well if it catches on, I would request a German friend to get me an XL ******* HELL T-shirt.

Not sure where I could wear it, though.
0 Replies