Annie G

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 03:43 pm
I bought a rainsoft two tank system in 1998 that was supposed to have "a lifetime warranty". Over the years it has run pretty well except for a spring in the timer that has to be replaced on occassion. I am now being told that the timer on the acid neutralizer tank is shot and must be replaced to the tune of $600 that the manufacturer stopped making the parts 3 years ago and rainsoft must replace the head with timer... so much for lifetime warranty. HELP!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 5,317 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Joethewaterguy

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 01:57 pm
@Annie G,
actually if you still have the warranty paper, it states limited lifetime warrany on certain parts and the electrical at 5 yrs total/another 5yrs prorated for a total of 10 yrs on electrical. You're past the 10 years for electrical. Doe's the $600 include a rebed/ cleanout of the neutralizer tank? What is the warranty on the "new head" ? Have you ever had the neutralizer rebed? The media in the tank may last 2 years, before it needs replaced, and the warranty does not include normal maintainance (sp) . So what I see is since the initial cost , you have had no problems. After 12 years its going to cost $600/ 12 yrs , $50 per year for good water.
Your help is that you could bypass the neutralizer and unplug it, since it probably hasn't been neutralizing for many years.
Annie G

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 02:22 pm
@Joethewaterguy,
I have had a maintenance agreement on the system since I bought it. Re-bed every year, system tested and adjusted if needed every six months to the tune of almost $400.00 a year. I have seen info on the web regarding rainsoft and their usual custom of overcharging customers for parts not included in the warranty. A friend of mine did a search of rainsoft parts and found that many of these timers sell new for a fraction of the amount rainsoft wants to charge me. This system cost $4800 twelve years ago and I have maintained it as instructed by rainsoft to the T. I understand that electrical parts don't fall under the warranty after ten years but I resent being "ripped off" by this company for a part that I know does not cost a fraction of what they want to charge me.

URL: http://able2know.org/reply/post-3945490
Joethewaterguy

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 03:06 pm
@Annie G,
Don't get mad at me, your initial post didn't say anything about a maintenance agreement. Understand first, that you are dealing with a local company authorized to sell and service Rainsoft equiptment. I guess that some Rainsoft customers do think that they are overcharged, I get it everyday. I also see lots of customer saying that Rainsoft has treated them fair and honest. You get good and bad on the internet. I'm an independant service provider and sometimes people think that Rainsoft should pay for me to come out and fix their system since they have a "limited lifetime warranty", even though it states in that warranty that they pay for the service call. The only money I make is in the service call and the customer pays me . I'm just trying to help you, not making any money here. So you feel you have been ripped off for 12 years?
Annie G

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 03:18 pm
@Joethewaterguy,
Joe
I feel I have kept up my end of the bargain by taking good care (via the maintenance contract) of the system. I was originally told that it would be the last system I would ever have to buy as long as I maintained it properly. I understand that electonic equipment goes bad but I still resent being charged such an exorbitant amount for a part that is probably a fraction of the amount rainsoft wants to charge me. Due to a design glitch I have had to have rainsoft replace a small spring in the timer for the acid neutralizer tank every few years...no biggie except that a little over 2 years ago they told me they could no longer repair it, I would need to upgrade to the tune of $2500. Needless to say I got my Irish up and they repaired it (twice now) and that has not been a problem. If I had not stood my ground they would have pushed me into spending the additional money. Sorry, I have seen to many other people in my area (very rural with lots of iron) that have had the same issue with Rainsoft. Didn't mean to bite your head off, they just make me so stinkin mad!
Joethewaterguy

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 04:01 pm
@Annie G,
so your "contract " pays for the rebed? If so, I'd ask them about a "TC" kit for the brass valve, if you don't want to pay for the whole new composite valve.
Annie G

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 07:34 am
@Joethewaterguy,
Rainsoft tells me that they can no longer get parts for this particular timer. They say that the manufacturer stopped making the timer 3 years ago (bologna) and yet I've been told there are many rainsoft parts for my system (serial # 20619) available. Where do I find these parts?
Joethewaterguy

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 02:44 pm
@Annie G,
the manufacturer did stop making that timer as they told you(no bologna). The parts that are available are for the brass valve and it's components. The mechanical timer has been replaced by a digital board. If the system is 120v, all the electrical components and the 2 white cams are replaced with a conversion kit, if the system is 24v only the mechanical timer , wiring harness and front cam need replaced,but you still use the brass valve and all it's components.
Annie G

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 03:13 pm
@Joethewaterguy,
The System is 24V, so why is rainsoft insisting they replace the entire timer at the cost of $600.00 when they can probably replace the parts you have listed below. Also, have you ever heard of a DWC system. I priced the combo unit for $1350.00 installed. don't want to put $600 into the rainsoft system and then have the timer on the other tank go bad and have to put another $600 into it, might as well buy a new system for $1350.00. any opinion on this system?
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 07:30 am
@Annie G,

It's got to be one of these
0 Replies

MRSJHW

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2015 05:59 am
@Joethewaterguy,
JOE DO YOU DO REPAIRS ON RAINSOFT SYSTEMS? IF SO WHERE IS YOUR LOCATION? WE ARE IN OCALA FLORIDA AREA. IT SEEMS LIKE A TIMER ISSUE HAS BEEN GREAT UNTIL NOW. OR COULD YOU RECOMMEND A NEW SYSTEM I HEAR SO MANY STORIES OF RIP OFF IN THIS AREA.
0 Replies